UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Diff whine advice needed please

Old 11-26-2008, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=hoppingdeth,Nov 26 2008, 09:23 AM] leftfootbraking
Old 11-26-2008, 10:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by leftfootbraking,Nov 26 2008, 05:51 PM
When I took out the old oil was very dark and thick. But the noise was there before I changed the oil. It got louder to a constant level about 2 weeks after I changed the oil and in the passed week it's got extremely loud. We double checked the levels at the time the oil change was done so I'm sure it was done correctly
The wrong type of oil would trash the diff' in no time, especially if lack of a previous oil change had started some premature wear.

To state the obvious the S2000 is a RWD car and this means that the final drive, as well as providing a differential action, also has to change the drive by 90 degrees. To achieve this it uses a what is known as a "hypoid crown and pinion gear set" and where the gears are designed to "slip slightly where they mesh" (the feature that causes problems if the wrong oil type is used). This design means that an oil type that can resist extremely high pressures ("hypoid oil") is needed to prevent wear of the crown and pinion gears, and even a small amount of wear (that you couldn't even "catch your fingernail in") causes excessive noise.

From reading a lot of threads on this forum it is obvious that many Honda dealers do not realise the above facts and supply, or supply and fit, the wrong oil type. Bless them, they obviously don't know the difference between FWD (where "hypoid oil" is not required) and RWD.

The correct oil type will contain as part of its labling "EP" or "hypoid". There is an easy way to check if th correct oil has been used. Even sythetic "hypoid oil" uses sulphur as the extreme pressure additive. If the oil doesn't smell strongly of sulphur (and you can't mistake the smell because it is nauseating) it is the wrong oil!

I think you may struggle to get the dealer to help you with all this (if they had actually filled the diff' with the wrong oil rather than just supply it you would have a better case in my opinion). My advice would be to buy a second hand diff' and get it fitted by an independent (chances are that an "indy" may actually know what they are doing). Make sure they use the correct oil (there are many different brands - I would personally recommend Castrol SAF-XO which I use and which is also recommended by BMW which are predominantly RWD).
Old 12-01-2008, 08:45 AM

I brought the car to have it's diff inspected today and the oil is black and totally shot and so is the crown wheel and pinion. The damage is being blamed on the oil put into the diff

Can anyone tell me where to find the meanings of these two oil part numbers are please.

08294 99901HE
&
08293 99901HE

Thanks for all your help
Old 12-01-2008, 09:23 AM

Sorry to hear of your bad luck, hope you get the result you want.

But if you don't Traynors in Armagh have a few S2000's and I think they deliver.

Good luck.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by S2k Eire,Dec 1 2008, 10:23 AM
Sorry to hear of your bad luck, hope you get the result you want.

But if you don't Traynors in Armagh have a few S2000's and I think they deliver.

Good luck.
Cheers Mate

I've been in touch with them and I think they have a couple
Old 12-01-2008, 02:06 PM

Its hard to understand how an a wrong oil could so much damage, does the diff get hot ? i cant imagine it does get that hot , and black oil is usually a burnt oil ? am i wrong ?
Old 12-01-2008, 02:17 PM

Only thing i can find in the service manual for the oil is a viscosity rating # 90 ... GL5 or GL6 , but that part number is not in the honda service manual
Old 12-02-2008, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by levitronix,Dec 1 2008, 11:06 PM
Its hard to understand how an a wrong oil could so much damage, does the diff get hot ? i cant imagine it does get that hot , and black oil is usually a burnt oil ? am i wrong ?
The pressure causes break down of the oil, the case hardening (may not be the correct term) is worn away in no time and after that, it's a short while before the gears start falling apart!
Old 12-02-2008, 07:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by hoppingdeth,Nov 26 2008, 05:23 PM
Um... possibly a bit harsh there. People only tend to pen down bad experiences with dealers rather than a normal or good experience.
Perhaps you have not been here long enough to partake in the Top Gear Survey?

It's the one where all of the S2KUK board votes up the car in order to place it at the top of the leaderboard.
One of the first things I saw and then thought...Mmmmm... and here we are.
Honda dealers think they are the nuts andd yet they get it so wrong, so often it's not funny.

Its a recognised phenomena, go do a search

Here's 2005:
http://www.topgear.com/content/features/st...ries/01/20.html

http://www.topgear.com/content/carsurvey/2...tures/01/1.html

etc etc etc

"No surprises at the top of the list - a small but borderline obsessive band of Honda S2000 drivers have stepped up to sell us on the virtues of their banzai-revving roadster. It scored highly in every area - apart from a handful of concerns over ownership costs. "

UNQUOTE.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:47 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by m1bjr,Dec 2 2008, 05:50 PM
Honda dealers think they are the nuts andd yet they get it so wrong, so often it's not funny.

I have been shocked by some, and even do most of the servicing myself as i couldn't trust them plus its cheaper

Quick Reply: Diff whine advice needed please