UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Diff Oil Question again

Old 05-02-2007, 06:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diff Oil Question again

Hi All,

By way of background, i have had a whine in my diff in January this year and then found that my crown (or ring) and pinion was worn. Its a quick question, but here is a longish explanation of the situation.

I read up a lot about it and found that the Diff is a common problem on the S, and that some people have had the issue due to wrong oil (i.e. using the CRV diff oil). I spoke to the Honda Dealer who replaced the oil in my car, who assured me that they used the correct fluid as per service schedule.

The oil the dealer used on my car is the part number 082 93 999 01 HA - Dual Pump Fluid. Now, i know that the Dual pump is also the description of the CRV oil. ANd i needed new oil for my diff so i called Honda Dealer 1 to find out which oil. So they told me that the one i quoted was the CRV oil and not the S2000. So i tried dealer 2, and they told me CRV and S2k the same! Back to dealer 3 (who serviced my car) and they said the service schedule said Dual Pump thats why they use it.

So i contact Honda South Africa, who told me the correct oil is a Hypopid SAE 90 Oil (which they do not stock locally??) and when i sent them the info on the CRV vs S2k oil they forwarded my email to Europe and said that technical dept assures them that the GLI-GL6 SAE 90 is the correct oil, but they cant confirm whether my oil is the CRV oil.

Here is my quick question: who in the UK has had a similar issue with CRV oil vs S2k oil, and has a contact at Honda UK who can clarify this. Can you also give me the correct part numbers?

Has anyone had thier diff replaced due to wrong oil (other than in the states)?

It has taken me months to get to this point with Honda.

Your assistance is appreciated.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:00 AM

Someone... anyone...
Old 05-03-2007, 06:28 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Not a clue, mate!

No hint in TFM at all.

I'm using a GL5 Hypoid 90 in mine, 'cause that's all the factors had.

All I can say is, the CRV has a hypoid in its rear diff and the old Legend had one in its front.

So they would require a different spec from the usual Honda gearbox oil.

If it helps.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:28 AM

Does anyone have the number for Honda UK? Or anyone with a Diff Problem have similar issues? I just want to prove or disprove the theory to Honda SA.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Edlover,May 2 2007, 02:12 PM
Hi All,

By way of background, i have had a whine in my diff in January this year and then found that my crown (or ring) and pinion was worn. Its a quick question, but here is a longish explanation of the situation.

I read up a lot about it and found that the Diff is a common problem on the S, and that some people have had the issue due to wrong oil (i.e. using the CRV diff oil). I spoke to the Honda Dealer who replaced the oil in my car, who assured me that they used the correct fluid as per service schedule.

The oil the dealer used on my car is the part number 082 93 999 01 HA - Dual Pump Fluid. Now, i know that the Dual pump is also the description of the CRV oil. ANd i needed new oil for my diff so i called Honda Dealer 1 to find out which oil. So they told me that the one i quoted was the CRV oil and not the S2000. So i tried dealer 2, and they told me CRV and S2k the same! Back to dealer 3 (who serviced my car) and they said the service schedule said Dual Pump thats why they use it.

So i contact Honda South Africa, who told me the correct oil is a Hypopid SAE 90 Oil (which they do not stock locally??) and when i sent them the info on the CRV vs S2k oil they forwarded my email to Europe and said that technical dept assures them that the GLI-GL6 SAE 90 is the correct oil, but they cant confirm whether my oil is the CRV oil.

Here is my quick question: who in the UK has had a similar issue with CRV oil vs S2k oil, and has a contact at Honda UK who can clarify this. Can you also give me the correct part numbers?

Has anyone had thier diff replaced due to wrong oil (other than in the states)?

It has taken me months to get to this point with Honda.

Your assistance is appreciated.
Sounds to me like the wrong oil has been used in your diff.

Check out this thread for a bit more info:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...ic=229158&st=0

The best way to obtain the correct oil would be to go to a BMW dealer and get some of their "non-lsd diff oil". If its "GL5" it will be ok in the S2K.

To see if the right oil has been used in your diff get some on your finger and smell it. If it doesn't "stink of sulphur" (which is used to help the oil withstand the huge shear pressure from the hypoid gears) its not the right oil. "Dual pump fluid" is not the right oil.

If a dealer has filled your differential with the wrong oil they should be paying for a new unit to be fitted....
Old 05-07-2007, 06:08 AM

Thanks, but my problem is that Honda SA dont beleive that the Dual Pump Fluid is wrong.

They admit that Hypoid is right, but i cant prove to them that the Dual Pump led to my diff whining.

Just looking for something concrete to show them, and forum printouts wont cut it.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:12 AM

Castrol Syntrax 75w90 should be easy to get hold of over there?
Old 05-07-2007, 07:18 AM
P 1

This may be some help:
(Click through for bigger version)

Old 05-21-2007, 12:28 PM

update on my "wrong oil in the diff" story.

P1, i sent that page to Honda but they dont care about other countries, this is SA they say.

I just got off the phone with the dealership, they claiming its not thier fault. They want to see my honda manual which i said i'd bring them tomorrow (it says use GL5-6 oil). But the real issue is the head parts/tech guy at HonDA SA is stating that using the wrong oil doenst matter, and i told him about others having this issue, and even send through that buliten but of course as anyone in South Africa will tell u "this is not the US/UK, all oil works fine here, dont come tell me about other coutries we are unique etc etc" unique in that they treat thier customer like sh1t.

What i really need is some sort of proof that using the wrong oil caused the problem. They, Honda SA, are claiming its not. The mech at the dealership is a fairly nice guy, and i can see he is trying to be helpful, but since i think he now realised he used the wrong oil he does not want to be implicated coz he knows that they are in the wrong. He keeps telling me that Honda SA says the wrong oil wont cause the diff to break. So he is being as helpful as he can be, and saying that the Dual Pump is all they ever used, and they used it on many diffs and they never had problems.

Funny there was an article in the paper this week by Castrol about GL ratings and the effects of wrong oil on Transmissions and Diffs. i will try to contact them and see if i can get any luck

I dont even expect them to replace my diff for free or anything, but they can at least come to the party and accept some fault.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:56 AM

Dammit, i replied but it disapeared.

Long story cut short, despite all official things stayting GL5/6 oil, the memo from Honda SA says use Dual Pump, they gave me the S2k servcie schedule!!!

Dealership been helpful, but they instructed to use the stuff.

I told all of them its the wrong oil, but what to i know, they have replaced it in tons of S2k's and no problems, so mine is wear and tear.

Quick Reply: Diff Oil Question again