UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Diesel Spill

Old 11-16-2004, 05:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel Spill

I was on my way into work this morning. As this is the first day I've driven myself into work for about a month and it was wet and greasy out there I was pottering along.

Anyway, I get to a roundabout at the end of an industrial estate and cautiously drive on to the main 60mph road. I honestly couldn't have been driving with less power if I'd tried and the back end starts twitching on me at about 20mph. I reckon another 2mm on the throttle would have had me spinning. So now I'm thinking that I've got a puncture or there's something seriously wrong with the car, so I take it easy (to try and find somewhere to stop) and get up to about 32mph in 5th with the back end still feeling like it's on a knife edge, and I notice there's some oily mixture on the road.

This goes on for about 10 miles, and you can see the diesel/oil on the road, until I change down for a roundabout and the rear end just starts sliding all over the place and the abs starts cutting in. At this point I think I'll turn off the main road and check that the car's ok, and as soon as I get on to the side road the car is fine even on thick mud. So it must have all been down to this diesel spill.

I just couldn't believe how dangerous this stuff is, I've read plenty of posts about it, but wasn't expecting to feel like I was on sheet ice. The truck which sat 2inches off my rear bumper all the way in obviously wasn't having any problems (tosser) as he was no doubt swearing about this knacker in a sports car doing 30mph in a 60 The LSD was doing so interesting things too, making me veer off to the left and then right, but as I didn't want to make any sudden steering movements I was pretty much at it's mercy
Old 11-16-2004, 05:57 AM
GSi

Have you considered www.iam.org.uk or www.rospa.org.uk ?

Diesel = Evil (especially if it's in a Ibiza TDi)
Old 11-16-2004, 05:57 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

That stuff is lethal I had an incident the other night turning out onto the main road, from where a lot of trucks stop and had a wiggle - must have been as a result of the deisel as i've never wiggled there before.

Is there a law against deisel spills yet? I remember signing some great big online petition a while ago about it.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:11 AM

I feel my comments a few weeks ago about someone spinning from a stand still were a bit harsh now (especially if there was diesel involved)
Old 11-16-2004, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by GSi,Nov 16 2004, 02:57 PM
Diesel = Evil (especially if it's in a Ibiza TDi)
the 645ci was probably thinking something similar when i passed him this morning too
Old 11-16-2004, 06:35 AM
GSi

Was he in reverse? or parked up emptying his pipe?
Old 11-16-2004, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by AquilaEagle,Nov 16 2004, 02:57 PM
Is there a law against deisel spills yet? I remember signing some great big online petition a while ago about it.
There should be, it's far worse for bikes, no chance of trying to control it, you are straight off and on your ar5e

Motor Cycle News were running a petition a while ago on this, not sure if had any affect on influencing any potential new law ??

Cue StevenM
Old 11-17-2004, 12:59 AM

a freind of mine was shocked by the amount of deisel on the road, so much so he stopped to phone his wife to warn her and realised the deisel was coming from a ruptured fuel line in HIS car.

Old 11-17-2004, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by neil_s2k,Nov 16 2004, 02:52 PM
I was on my way into work this morning. As this is the first day I've driven myself into work for about a month and it was wet and greasy out there I was pottering along.

Anyway, I get to a roundabout at the end of an industrial estate and cautiously drive on to the main 60mph road. I honestly couldn't have been driving with less power if I'd tried and the back end starts twitching on me at about 20mph. I reckon another 2mm on the throttle would have had me spinning. So now I'm thinking that I've got a puncture or there's something seriously wrong with the car, so I take it easy (to try and find somewhere to stop) and get up to about 32mph in 5th with the back end still feeling like it's on a knife edge, and I notice there's some oily mixture on the road.

This goes on for about 10 miles, and you can see the diesel/oil on the road, until I change down for a roundabout and the rear end just starts sliding all over the place and the abs starts cutting in. At this point I think I'll turn off the main road and check that the car's ok, and as soon as I get on to the side road the car is fine even on thick mud. So it must have all been down to this diesel spill.

I just couldn't believe how dangerous this stuff is, I've read plenty of posts about it, but wasn't expecting to feel like I was on sheet ice. The truck which sat 2inches off my rear bumper all the way in obviously wasn't having any problems (tosser) as he was no doubt swearing about this knacker in a sports car doing 30mph in a 60 The LSD was doing so interesting things too, making me veer off to the left and then right, but as I didn't want to make any sudden steering movements I was pretty much at it's mercy
Did you check to see if your spacers were removed?
Old 11-17-2004, 01:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by AquilaEagle,Nov 16 2004, 02:57 PM
I don't understand that statement? What would the law do? Prosecute people caught spilling it or what?

I'd like to see that along with people being prosecuted for having shite cars that pump crap out of the exhaust. Sitting behind them in a queue of traffic is a pain in the arse.

Quick Reply: Diesel Spill