UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Did I buy the wrong tie rod ends?

Old 04-22-2020, 12:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Did I buy the wrong tie rod ends?

Hi there

Getting an alignment done soon on my 2008 S2000 and thought might as well get some fresh parts and noticed some Hardrace parts for sale brand new from a abandoned project so nicely discounted and I got these:
https://www.tegiwaimports.com/hardra...-2pcs-set.html

I also got the rear adjustable pillow ball toe arms and front/rear stabiliser link sets.

I think all parts be fine but I’ve noticed the tie rod ends as per the link are some special edition for lowered cars, as my car is stock ride height can I assume these are a bad idea?

I do plan on Coilovers in future but my plans were to only drop the car 10-15mm in height.

So do I need to get some standard outer tie rod ends.

Also I was looking for inner tie rods are these correct ones:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Inner-Tie...7KW%20(Petrol)

The Febi ones To fit a 2008 car?
Old 04-23-2020, 08:46 AM

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Yes that hardrace part functions as a front bump steer kit to bring steering geo back to spec after lowering. Theoretically these would negatively affect handling on a car with stock ride height or only slightly lowered. How badly you are going to notice though, I don't know. But they definitely won't improve anything unless the one's you got on the car right now are completely knackered so would advice not to install.
Old 04-23-2020, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Scigheras
Yes that hardrace part functions as a front bump steer kit to bring steering geo back to spec after lowering. Theoretically these would negatively affect handling on a car with stock ride height or only slightly lowered. How badly you are going to notice though, I don't know. But they definitely won't improve anything unless the one's you got on the car right now are completely knackered so would advice not to install.
Thank you.

They have arrived today and noticed they have a washer you can install with or without so maybe that is to give option of lowered or not?
Old 04-23-2020, 09:02 AM

That washer is usually so you can get correct geo for either lowered or completely slammed

But I think you can find out yourself. When the car is lowered, the tie rod will angle up more than when the car was at stock height. The offset joint on the aftermarket rod end corrects for this. So if you can get the tie rod to keep sitting at the same angle as you had before with these aftermarket rod ends you will be fine.

Also, are you the same Gibbo as on Overclockers UK?
Old 04-27-2020, 01:42 AM

That washer is usually so you can get correct geo for either lowered or completely slammed

But I think you can find out yourself. When the car is lowered, the tie rod will angle up more than when the car was at stock height. The offset joint on the aftermarket rod end corrects for this. So if you can get the tie rod to keep sitting at the same angle as you had before with these aftermarket rod ends you will be fine.

Also, are you the same Gibbo as on Overclockers UK?

Yes it is me.

I have had a play with the tie rods and noticed the washes can be fitted either side, see attached image please:

For stock ride height should I configure as per top or bottom?

So to get them as close to factory tie rods and parallel with the lower arms I assume I should install as per the top or bottom please?
Old 04-27-2020, 03:34 AM

Bought one of those special edition GTX 970's with less coil whine from you back in the day. Still going strong

As for the tie rods, bottom one will be closer to stock. After you have removed the stocker just compare them and try to match them up the best possible.
Old 04-27-2020, 04:01 AM

Bought one of those special edition GTX 970's with less coil whine from you back in the day. Still going strong

As for the tie rods, bottom one will be closer to stock. After you have removed the stocker just compare them and try to match them up the best possible.

Thank you, gonna put car on ramps later and visually see how they compare, as the rear toe arms I got also have washers for bump steer correction too. So I guess I need to make them work, I do plan on coilovers just still deciding between MeisterR, KW or Ohlins but my plan is to lower around 20mm as I don't want the slammed look so hopefully then everything will line up perfect.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:25 AM

Checked and configured as bottom one they seem very close to stock, within 5mm so I think will be spot on with car lowered around 15mm