UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Destination Nurburgring Track Day

Old 10-17-2012, 12:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much was the track day insurance cover? Cheers
Old 10-17-2012, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by chilled
Not a great deal to say really

You're better at low speed corners than high speed corners unsurprisingly, there's stil a few kerbs (hatzenbach, hocheichen and between foxhole and aremberg) you could use. But the line is mostly there.

The main thing is practice and bravery pills, but even if you stuck at that speed, there's nothing wrong with that. You were passing most things. The high speed stuff can be pretty scary with the rear bump steer in the S. And there's not much room to get it wrong.

Thanks for the comments, I do usually use the kerbs at hatzenbach and hocheichen but being stuck behind the Lotus I wasn't going fast enough to need to use them.

On the fast bumpy bits it's definatly better to keep your foot down as the car feels so much more glued to the road, it's building up the confidence to do it.

Doing 100+MPH and not being able to see where the track goes is such a buzz and you have to trust that your knowledge is good enough.

I've spent ALOT of time watching Nige's and Rory's corner by corner guide on Northloop.co.uk and it definatly paid off.

Originally Posted by kenr2000
How much was the track day insurance cover? Cheers

The track day cover was 136 pounds (Im on German keyboard, no pound sign key) which is for 1st party cover only.

On a private track day your responsable for your own car in the event of a crash no matter who's fault it was. Although you still have to pay for barrier damage. It's the ONLY way to drive the 'ring IMO
Old 10-17-2012, 01:23 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Trackaddict is another good app.

How do you mount your iphone in the car?
Old 10-17-2012, 01:28 AM

Thanks! Which company do you use for the cover? Is it just for the day I take it?
Old 10-17-2012, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by E4RTH WORM JIM
Trackaddict is another good app.

How do you mount your iphone in the car?
I used a Ram Mount, ive tried a few now but these are easily the best. There was no problems with it being a suction mounth either, although it is a very strong one

www.ram-mount.co.uk

The parts you need are -

1 x Apple iPhone 4 Holder (£9.14)
Part Number: RAM-HOL-AP9

1 x Suction Mount, Standard 1" Ball Arm and Diamond Base Plate (£17.32)
Part Number: RAP-B-166-2

Shipping (Recorded Delivery 0.29Kgs; normally 2 - 3 working days.): £2.95
Total: £29.41

Originally Posted by kenr2000
Thanks! Which company do you use for the cover? Is it just for the day I take it?
http://www.reis.co.uk/

Another thing I noticed was that last year on DN4 I didn't have the airbox cover on and I was able to take the foxhole flat all the way through. This year I put the airbox cover back on and the car was noticeably faster in all areas and I didn't quite have the minerals to take it flat this time
Old 10-17-2012, 10:29 PM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Looks like great fun!

I will ask/observe though; the trackday insurance that you purchased covers just your car right? I'm not sure that this is the perfect solution given than even a mild barrier smack/cleanup will probably cost more than your S is worth (on book value, not sentimental obviously!) so it seems that you could still be very out of pocket.

That's not including the often spouted nightmare of slamming a 458 and a GT3 into the barrier and having to cop all the costs for damage!
Old 10-17-2012, 10:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoVTEC
Looks like great fun!

I will ask/observe though; the trackday insurance that you purchased covers just your car right? I'm not sure that this is the perfect solution given than even a mild barrier smack/cleanup will probably cost more than your S is worth (on book value, not sentimental obviously!) so it seems that you could still be very out of pocket.

That's not including the often spouted nightmare of slamming a 458 and a GT3 into the barrier and having to cop all the costs for damage!
I'm pretty sure the track days are different, everyone is now out there at their own risk so if you cause another car to crash or hit them its for them to fix themselves. Also no worry of massive claims for the biker that is now paralysed and needs financial support for the rest of his life due to the oil your car dropped that caused him to crash.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:24 AM

Yes this was a private track day not touristenfarhen (sp).

Everyone has to attend a briefing the day before and your have to sign a disclaimer saying that your are responsible for your own car in the event of an accident no matter who's fault it was.

My insurance was for my own car only.

It's the only way to drive on the ring. TF is dead for us Brits unless your willing to hire a car from a propper 'ring rental company
Old 10-18-2012, 03:12 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mike itr
It's the only way to drive on the ring. TF is dead for us Brits unless your willing to hire a car from a propper 'ring rental company
Totally agree - I have zero interest in going to the Ring on a tourist day ever again. Risks / traffic / closurers aside, the cost per lap now is ridiculous.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:04 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I enjoyed watching that, nice one I found your girlfriends coments at "AF" amusing though, its just the sort of thing my missus would say. One thing I was intrigued about was that as the lap wore on you seemd to be carrying less speed into the corners were you having brake or tyre problems ?

cheers.....Tony..

Quick Reply: Destination Nurburgring Track Day