UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Dent Wizard Repair

Old 05-03-2010, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Dent Wizard Repair

Last week some CxxT decided to use the front of my car as a foot stall and left his foot impression on my front quarter panel (size 9) LOL. I decided to call my local Dent Wizard chap to do the job along with a few other little prangs mostly from car parks. I was quoted over £700 from a local garage , and the Dent Wizard man said he can do it all for £250.
He is outside my house now doing the job, and I must say doing it well eccept for the fact that he has broken the paint on the verticle line on the front near side panel just where it meets the bonnet. He called me out to look at it and said that he has a friend that owns the franchise to the Flying Colours smart paint repairers.

Seeing as the job is only paid for on satisfaction do you think it is fair to withhold payment until he gets his FRIEND to do the paint repair?

I am concerned that if the paint cannot be sprayed perfectly I will have a bodge job looking 09 S that I know will upset me everytime I look at her. And of course it might end up costing me more than getting it done by Honda in the first place.

Or any other sugestions or advise would be great.

P.S forgive the spelling mistakes I am in a rush cos he is still outside.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:23 AM

I think you are well within your right to withhold until the job is completed to your satisfaction. Only advice would be be friendly and polite. No point in getting into an argument. Good luck mate.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:39 AM

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

In any case I bet there is some small print somw somewhere here that limits there liability, and to be honest I suppose there can be occasions when the paint does "break" as a dent is removed.

It's some something I have wondered about the paintless dent removal lark. Not that I have any experience of it

But I agree with Harrier it's no good spitting one's dummy out in the first instance.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:42 AM
Xd

There is always a risk with any job, if he did not warn you of the potential and you agreed to it then you can politely ask him to fix it at his expense. The spray will never be perfect i am afraid but it should be difficult to spot, outside a spray booth there will also be a chance of contamination.

Sorry
Old 05-03-2010, 01:44 AM

Chippo & Harrier, I think that is good advice.
He is a very nice man and I will see what he has to say or offer in the first instance. I must say that he is doing a great job so far - I will keep you posted and put some pics up after. Cheers for the advice
Old 05-03-2010, 01:50 AM

Tango Man - Your a legend.
He did not say anything about a potential problem with paint- just said that it will costly and take a good few hours.
I am sure he is a good guy and will offer to get it fixed, although you have now scared me about contamination.....???
Old 05-03-2010, 03:00 AM

The contamination just comes from general dust, grit and dirt from being outside.
Obviously if the wind is blowing you are going to get crap in your paintwork.
Sometimes it is worth paying a bit extra to get a better job done.
Good luck and hope it works out for you.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:54 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

When the dent repairmen stretch the a dent back into its original position there is always the risk that the paint will split.

If it is just a split on the edge of a panel then a smart repair should be fine as they'll only be repairing the split and very little of the surrounding paint.

Much as i hate to say it (i manufacture spraybooths for bodyshops) a well done smart repair will be invisible and i wouldn't worry too much about contamination. If its done well there won't be any.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:49 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Technically you shrink a dent, as its already stretched

SMART on a Moonrock panel with Xirallic paint isnt going to be invisible IMO.
In fact the last job I saw on a black car was a poor match and very obvious under Sodium lights.