UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Delivery Time

Old 02-13-2003, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Delivery Time

How long did you have to wait for your S2000 after you had placed an order (or how long do you have to wait, if you are currently waiting)?

One dealer told me 1 month; another told me 6 months!
Old 02-13-2003, 02:42 PM

It was certainly up near 5-6 months during the summer, especially if you were importing. I think people have posted here recently saying that it's more like 4-6 weeks at the moment though, with a lot of dealers having cars on the forecourt that they can sell to you there and then.

Snap one up before the spring rush starts!
Old 02-13-2003, 02:46 PM

Could be upto 6-7 months for an EU import, but that was last April for mine.

A car from a U.K. dealer can be anywhere between tomorrow if its timed right and the full 6 months because I believe they order them without a customer and get one when the car arrives.

Question is, if you buy from the dealer that says one month and it takes 6 months, how are they going to compensate you A car to drive around in during the wait?
Old 02-14-2003, 01:56 AM

mine took 7 days from order to picking it up with 7 miles on clock and all the extras an requested.
from johnsons honda wheatley oxon
Old 02-14-2003, 02:15 AM

My local dealer told me 6 months, but the car arrived in three by mistake. They also "forgot" to order the hard top !. Sheesh.

R.
Old 02-14-2003, 03:03 AM

I ordered mine in November it arrived 22.12.02, registered 9.1.03. it depends on colour availability
Old 02-14-2003, 07:00 AM

Ordered mine 29/12/02 and drove it away on 18/01/03. Also told it depends on the colour. Mine is black/black, but apparently you may have to wait longer for blue.
Old 02-15-2003, 03:31 AM

I do not profess to know how Honda works its systems, but another car co I used to know a bit about operates like this:

EVERY car is built as a result of an order.
Cars took several months from order to being available, each order was added to the queue.
Orders were to a limited extent batched up, but this only affected the position in the queue by a few places - so only really changed the hour the car was built not the day, let alone the week. There may be adjustments to allow RHD UK cars to be built in a batch, LHD EU cars, US cars etc, and there may be batching to allow a ship bound for particular ports to be filled, but this is all minor adjustments.

The length of the queue, and so, given a fixed production rate, the order to delivery time, depends on total world demand. This can vary a lot. There is also a major effect due to factory closures (eg Christmas).

BUT

And here is the "wobbly". The dealers pre-order cars! WOW!

PLUS

The dealers trade with each other to help fill their customer's wishes, a sort of mutual back scratching. Plus there are cancelled "customer" orders where the factory order can be reassigned.

If a dealer has a car to your spec in their pre-ordered list then you can buy it. Dealers can generally change details of cars they have pre-ordered right up to the point within a few days or weeks of actual production, depending on the nature of the change and the factory's availability of parts (no good trying to change from a CTR to an S if the body has already been made - or if they are not made at the same factory - that would require more notice). This is why you find problems when fashion changes. All the dealers would have been pre-ordering the most popular colour - Silver - then fashion sees the light and demand changes to what is clearly the best colour - MC Blue - and whap - delivery times go out of the window as the queue is filled with Silver cars looking for owners. Worse, if a dealer has a car in his pre-ordered list in Silver and you have money but want a different colour, eg MC Blue then he (or she) may be tempted to say - "Oh you will have to wait ages for MC Blue - have a Silver one". If you refuse, and the dealer realises you and money are about to leave the showroom, then the old "I will just make a few calls and see what I can do" ploy is pulled, he talks to the factory, or other dealers, or maybe does not talk to anyone but just allocates a more recently pre-ordered MC Blue car to you, the sale is made but the dealer is still stuck with the Silver car. Eventually the Silver car will arrive, and if not sold will be discounted, and if that does not work will find its way to a car supermarket.

So, in summary, delivery times can vary. Which you already knew!
Old 02-15-2003, 05:44 AM

There's a new MCB GT at Minories in Newcastle upon Tyne. Must be because silver is faster, and no-one wants a slow mcb.
Old 02-15-2003, 09:31 AM

I waited around 8 months for my current car. Partly because I wanted an '02 model with Nurburgring blue (had been offered an MCB sooner).