UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.
View Poll Results: Has your roof ever leaked water?
Yes
81.61%
No
18.39%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

The definitive leaking roof thread.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the Gtechniq spray also and get no water in the car or leaks and beads and runs of better than 303.

W

Originally Posted by clarker
I've recently purchased a 2006 roadster after owning a GT a couple of years ago - I had no problems with my GT with a leaking roof, but my roadster started to leak almost immediatedly after getting it. I wasn't that impressed having spent quite a lot on it. Mine was leaking from both sides where the roof folds just over the shoulders of passenger/driver - pouring out of the metal channel. The wet weather in the UK hasn't helped either! So I spent ages looking at peoples ideas, and tried them all out...

However, I couldn't understand how the water got INSIDE the roof rail - many suggestions say the water is somehow getting in from the front roof seal and running back into the channel - but I could never understand how this happened as there is no obvious route for the water, and none of the grease, resealing the rubber or putting more tape under the roof worked! I didn't seem to have the cracks that some people have also reported.

So I decided to get some waterproofing and treated the roof. I had noticed that the water did not bead on the roof so looked for a spray to use. I finally settled on Gtechniq spray - which I have duly applied a coat (not much left after one heavy coat). It left no marks and I now have a leak free roof! (well for the past two days and in the UK its been pouring down). So for now I am happy and I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:39 PM

My theory is that by making the water bead off the roof, it can't use capiliary action through the stiches on the edge or around the edge of the roof, it doesn't work its way into the chanel. I am not saying it came through the vinyl.

Having spent the last month trying different things, nothing ever worked, then immediately after applying the waterproofing spray I have had no leaks - 3 days and counting. weather still bad. roof has been up/down each day.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:23 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

The degree of capillary action needed to absorb that much water ..... i think it's more to do with water not sitting on your roof long enough to soak through the foam that has fixed it rather than it sealing any stitches up.

Have a look at where the channel is - there's literally no way that I can see for water to seep in through stitches, it has to be coming in through an incorrectly aligned seal where water is pooling because it isn't running off.

I don't doubt that you've fixed it

https://www.s2ki.com/...eaky-roof-seal/ is one place mine leaked on both sides - now fixed post new seals.

The foam that i've replaced is visible here and is stuck to the back of the metal guide that the main outer seal is fitted into. Because the foam on mine had almost all perished and clearly been removed before, the water was tracking back along the metal guide and soaking through to the inner metal rail.

Below is the metal rail that I removed.

Attachment 103182
Old 06-30-2012, 10:51 PM

And this morning after a good soaking last night, the roof hasn't leaked and there's no water in either of the rails.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:24 AM

&^&!&^&&!&!! Car!!!

Still leaking .....

However its parked nose down hill and there is far far less water in the rail. That tells me it is filling up from the windscreen end of the passenger seal and now .. that can ONLY be down to the catch on that side not being as tight as the drivers side as everything else is symmetrical.

Oh and I did 'proof the roof' on Sunday which hasn't done anything other than make it look a nicer colour - it has bugger all for the weatherproofing
Old 07-06-2012, 03:49 AM

Bit more to add.

1. Removed the spacers i'd put between the strikers to see what happened.Passenger side leaked worse than ever and the drivers side started to leak - in ALL the original places.
2. Put spacers back in place but thicker on passenger side to drivers side. Think it's about 2mm drivers and 3mm passenger side.
3. Put rubber vacuum hose around the soft top hooks to give it that extra bit of tension when closing.So far that seems to have been the final missing piece in terms of keeping the water out!
Old 07-07-2012, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by unclefester
Bit more to add.

1. Removed the spacers i'd put between the strikers to see what happened.Passenger side leaked worse than ever and the drivers side started to leak - in ALL the original places.
2. Put spacers back in place but thicker on passenger side to drivers side. Think it's about 2mm drivers and 3mm passenger side.
3. Put rubber vacuum hose around the soft top hooks to give it that extra bit of tension when closing.So far that seems to have been the final missing piece in terms of keeping the water out!
Bloody hell, are we ever going to get a solution to this feking leaking roof !!!

Some nice ideas there Pat will give them a go, see what I can find in the local DIY tomorrow I think 'foam wise' - this is really putting me off the damn car now
Old 07-07-2012, 08:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My first s had a replacement hood which leaked profusely. I bought a monsoon roof to replace it and upon installation, he reported that the first roof had the seals incorrectly fitted (they were back to front).

The monsoon roof never leaked a drop and looked miles better.

The second s has a factory original hood and has leaked, however, it wasn't very bad and I've yet to use shin-etsu grease on it. Talking of that, I might pop to the garage now.

Cleaning the seals and greasing them has been successful for me so far.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by C7 JFW
My first s had a replacement hood which leaked profusely. I bought a monsoon roof to replace it and upon installation, he reported that the first roof had the seals incorrectly fitted (they were back to front).
Hmmmm that sounds plausible, my roof is a replacement (OEM) roof, could you demonstrate preferrably with pics but verbally otherwise what you mean that the seals were 'back to front' ... lookking at my new seal it can only fit one way .... I think
Old 07-07-2012, 08:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate not being able to help with pictures.

The general impression the Monsoon employee gave me was that if you pulled the seal down (vertically from it's roof up position), rotated it 180 degrees and then subsequently re-installed it, with sufficient shin-etsu, it may well have sealed.

I obviously had very limited knowledge of the roofs at that point & the new one was professionally re-installed, so it was only a passing fyi for me.

Quick Reply: The definitive leaking roof thread.