UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Defi Gauges installed

Old 07-12-2007, 11:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Defi Gauges installed

I've been after a set of decent gauges for my car for a while now, so when I was offered a pair of Defi BF gauges along with everything needed to install them, I jumped at the chance. Cheers Kris (De Burr)

As luck would have it the gauges were oil temperature and oil pressure, the two I was after. I’d still like a better water temperature gauge at some point, but I’ll leave that for another day ::

Well after the "heated" oil filter thread the week before I had everything I needed to finally do this install. The oil filter needed to come off, so I could fit the Greddy sandwich plate which held the two sensors in place. Also I took the opportunity to fit a Spoon magnetic drain plug.

I installed the over last weekend and thought I'd post up a few photos for you all to enjoy. I’m very happy with the gauges, and how easy they are to install. Defi employ a linked system with the BF gauges which means you don’t need loads of cables running to the gauges themselves. My only criticism is of the Amuse A pillar gauge pod. Unlike the original A pillar trim you don't use the "push" fixings to hold it in place, and I had to attach it using some interior fixings at the top. These spoil the clean lines a bit, and I'm already working on another way of fixing this in place.

Gauges installed in their A pillar pod.

The Defi BF gauges use a daisy chain system shown here.

The Defi Link Metre.

All available connections on the Link Metre.

The Greddy sandwich plate with temperature and pressure senders already installed.

Temperature sender on the right, oil pressure on the top.

The installed sandwich plate. This bolts onto the existing oil cooler, and the oil filter onto that...

...like so.

I wanted to keep the wiring away from the engine so I threaded them round behind the heat shield.

I found a grommet through the firewall for the cables to go through. Note it's the smaller lower one I used, and not the larger one. Either will do tbh.

An interior view of the pair of cables. It makes life so much easier if you remove the interior trim around the bonnet release.

To get power to the Link Metre attach an open ended shade connector onto the black wire and find a suitable grounding point.

The white, red and orange wires need standard spade connections fitting in one of two arrangements into the fuse box in the drivers footwell.

Version 1 - keep all three separate and plug them in as shown. The problem with this, is that you need your headlights on to illuminate the gauges. This makes no sense to me as you can't see them when they aren’t illuminated

Version 2 - combine the white and orange wires into one connection to get the gauges to light up when the ignitions on. This has to be the preferred option imo.

Good old double sided tape holds the Link Metre in place.

Close up of the installed gauges.

Despite what I first thought, the position of these gauges is spot on. They don't obscure your view at all when driving.

I can’t fault these gauges at all. I’m really pleased with them, and they seem to give decent readings. You can set an alarm warning for each gauge which beeps at you if the oil temperature gets too hot, or oil pressure drops too low.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Looks good and a great install write up J
Old 07-12-2007, 11:21 AM
UK Trader

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Looks good! I like the defi gauges - much smaller than mine.

I am about to fit the modifry ECT temp adapter which gives a better/custom reading on the standard water temp.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are they not overly bright at night?
Old 07-12-2007, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good write up Jamie
Old 07-12-2007, 11:36 AM

Cheers folks. Hope someone finds it useful/interesting.

They are not distracting at night if that's what you mean Ste_Nova. I believe you can dim them if you wish. However if you do the wiring as per version 2, I think you lose this functionality.

I would like a better water temperature gauge in my car, but as no one makes a three gauge pod I'd have to settle for mounting it on the dash which is not ideal imo.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:43 AM

where did you get the sandwich plate from????
near oil filter???
Old 07-12-2007, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by j8mie,Jul 12 2007, 08:36 PM
They are not distracting at night if that's what you mean Ste_Nova. I believe you can dim them if you wish. However if you do the wiring as per version 2, I think you lose this functionality.
Jamie, don
Old 07-12-2007, 12:06 PM

Looks nice.

Defi do some nice blue gauges and I don't think you need to use the defi link box.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:19 PM

GeoffMM - I got everything together so I don't know where you can buy these "oil block/sensor adaptors" from. It's GReddy part # 12002801 if that helps.

Cheers for that Nigel. I'm happy with the arrangment I've got, but that's useful info though

Mark - Your talking about the Blue Racer gauges by Defi. They don't use the same Defi Link System as you said, only the BF's do. Defi Blue Racer

Quick Reply: Defi Gauges installed