UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Decent SatNav

Old 07-14-2005, 12:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sparmar1,Jul 13 2005, 06:50 PM
but Garmin's aviation and hardware background did it for me

Hoo-rar
A fellow Garmin-er.

You know the score.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:39 AM
UK Trader

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

According to my tomtom rep... garmin basicallly copied the "go" software and changed the colours a bit
Old 07-14-2005, 02:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grahamb,Jul 13 2005, 11:19 PM
Ian, what do you do for mounting (so to speak ) and hearing the directions?

I'm having to contemplate plugging some headphones in as music or 50mph+ means the Axim's inaudible but that sucks just a tad
I use one of these, it's excellent.

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/2059.htm

If you have a line in socket on the back of your head unit you can also get a simple mini jack cable and play the Tomtom prompts through your h/u via the PDA headphone socket. I use both options depending which is handier at the time.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want a sat nav unit as well, I'm always getting lost. I wish I could get one of those Pioneer flip screen head units as they're much neater, but they don't fit in the S

What's the best price for a TomTom Go?
Old 07-14-2005, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by Tonky,Jul 14 2005, 11:08 AM
I use one of these, it's excellent.

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/2059.htm

If you have a line in socket on the back of your head unit you can also get a simple mini jack cable and play the Tomtom prompts through your h/u via the PDA headphone socket. I use both options depending which is handier at the time.
But that's just a bluetooth speaker yeah?

BT running on the PDA chews through the battery in 2 hours, so I can't afford to "lose" the power socket to anything that doesn't include power to the Axim.

I'll investigate the HU, but as it's a stock one, I doubt it. Ta though.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by grahamb,Jul 14 2005, 11:28 AM
But that's just a bluetooth speaker yeah?

BT running on the PDA chews through the battery in 2 hours, so I can't afford to "lose" the power socket to anything that doesn't include power to the Axim.

I'll investigate the HU, but as it's a stock one, I doubt it. Ta though.
Yep - it's a Bluetooth device. I just use one those triple power socket converter doodads from Hellfords so I can run the Xtreme and the PDA on power (and my handsfee phone kit) with no probs. Your only problem with that is the socket being behind you in the S but it would be relatively easy I would think to run the wire along the side of the centre console (hiding it under the leather cover) to somewhere accessible up front?
Old 07-14-2005, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by Neil.H,Jul 14 2005, 11:18 AM
I want a sat nav unit as well, I'm always getting lost. I wish I could get one of those Pioneer flip screen head units as they're much neater, but they don't fit in the S

What's the best price for a TomTom Go?
There are 3 versions of Tomtom Go now Neil, the 300, 500 and 700 IIRC getting more expensive as the numbers increase - no surprises there - so it depends which one you go for.

I recently dropped my PDA on a concrete floor. It didn't bounce well and I've had to replace it. If I hadn't already forked out for the Tomtom software and the GPS receiver etc - I'd have seriously considered the 'Go' which is really a bargain when you consider you're getting the whole kit and caboodle built in with GPS receiver and audio amplification as well. There's no operating system as such either it all works from a simple storage card.

Don't forget you can go walkabout or cycling - whatever with the Go and you still have nav capability. Also I'm told the battery life is very impressive.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by Tonky,Jul 14 2005, 12:10 PM
Yep - it's a Bluetooth device. I just use one those triple power socket converter doodads from Hellfords so I can run the Xtreme and the PDA on power (and my handsfee phone kit) with no probs.
I had no idea they even existed Cheers.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:53 AM
ADP

running tomtom 4.4 I think on smartphone - orange spvc500

Im well chuffed - I like being able to add in the speed camera databases etc etc - infact Im going to upload a honda dealers db soon

It works brill, even if I cant fully hear it, the visuals are good enough - no probs with roof up ofcourse.

there are some naughty versions out there too for those who like their downloading
Old 07-15-2005, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Crusader Rabbit,Jul 14 2005, 06:11 AM
Considering this purchase as well!. Was looking at either TomTom or the new Garmin (c320 or c330) that looks very similar to the TomTom. Both seem really good so any opinions on which one is best would be great!. I kinda like the idea of Garmin given their "history" in satnav but not sure if this is actually a valid consideration!.

Also.........one minor thing but it winds me up.......the Garmin apparently has a 12v lead that is integral to the unit bracket which means that even if you want to run it off the internal battery you have a 12v lead flapping around the dash!. Is this true and does the TomTom also have this????.
You're right the Garmin cradle has an integral power lead which cannot be detached. As I don't tend to need the whole 6 hours battery life and I don't like leads all over the place I just chopped it off!!

Garmin sell an AC adaptor and the cradle's (with AC lead) separately so if you were desparate for power in-car you could get a spare and tuck it in the boot or something.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Sanjay

Quick Reply: Decent SatNav