UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Dash Mounting Bracket for RHD?

Old 07-25-2006, 07:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dash Mounting Bracket for RHD?

I'm thinking of making these mounting brackets:

Well, obviously I already made one, but I'm considering making more for my US customers and possibly making them for RHD cars too. Do you think there's a market in the UK/Aus areas to make it worth while?

If so, I need to know how your dash is set up. Is it a mirror image of the US cars (shown above)? Or did they take the dash/instrument cluster and just move it to the right side of the car? In other words, are your radio controls on the left or right?

Anybody got pictures of the back side of the dash bezel? I'm looking for a close-up of the area just to the left of where the bracket is mounted (or the appropriate place on your RHD dash).

Old 07-25-2006, 11:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Silly quesion, but what kind of things could you mount on this brakcet? I'm guessing mobile phone, MP3 Player Sat Nav etc.

The RHD dash is a mirror image of the LHD ones, with the radio controls on the right, next to the drivers door.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:57 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

It's a mirror image, our engine start button and radio controls are on the right and heater controls on the left.

What would the bracket hold? I'd like my phone there, I hate those things that cover the vents. Would it fit the phone/ipod etc holder you sell modifry?

Old 07-26-2006, 04:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to stick my PDA (used for satnav, on Brodit active mount) there, although it might stick out a bit far and interfere with the controls.

This is what I ended up doing:

I left space on the panel for a cell phone mount, but probably won't bother now as it will add too much weight to the bracket.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:38 AM
Administrator

See, my phone also does TomTom, so I only have one device now
Old 07-26-2006, 04:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My phone barely works as a phone. Palm Treo 700W (their first attempt at Windows Mobile) and it's literally the most problem-prone piece of electronics I've ever owned. I'm on my second one and am ready to turn this one in and demand a refund since the issues are all software problems so a new phone won't fix it.

On the other hand, I just bought a Nuvi 350 and it is awesome - perfect size, easy to use, works great. Actually, it works fantastic, I got satellite acquisition in 30 seconds inside a hotel room.

Anyway, the bracket will be drilled with the standard AMPS hole pattern (both horizontal & vertical) which most mobile mounting devices are designed to match, including the ones I sell.

It mounts without bolts, screws, or glue, though you do need some hand tools to loosen the dash bezel enough to install it. And maybe a razor knife to trim any excess plastic from behind the bezel. With tools in hand, install time is less than 5 minutes.

Since I don't have a RHD bezel to use for a template I can make one up and get one of you to do a test fit. If it works, great. If not, I'll probably have to find a RHD bezel to use.

Old 07-26-2006, 05:00 AM
Administrator

I'll do a test fit. Do you want me to bring the car to your hotel?
Old 07-26-2006, 05:18 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AquilaEagle,Jul 26 2006, 01:00 PM
I'll do a test fit. Do you want me to bring the car to your hotel?
Shipping might be a tad expensive !!!

Bharat
Old 07-26-2006, 05:33 AM
Administrator

Noooo, modifry is in London soon

And there is also a HUGE modifry GB on at the moment
Old 07-26-2006, 05:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Modifry,

Just think about the whole bracket senario and how unsightly things look once you mounted a mobile and/or PDA and the cables have no where to go, except hang around.
As a minimum all things mounted on the bracket would benefit from a power connection. but the question is how to get it there without seeing it. My thoughts are along the lines of flexible pcbs (or do you call them pwb) like those used to connect the read/write head on DVD players and various over types of connections. Given the space between the dash and the gauge console is small this would be the best option. Would a ribbon cable fixed to the back of the braket work, obviously size of conductors will dictate max power load.

Anyway, just a thought and most other connections could be done wirelessly, unless you feel that you could get more conductors in the space.

Andy

Quick Reply: Dash Mounting Bracket for RHD?