UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Damage due to oil?

Old 07-06-2013, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damage due to oil?

Hi guys.

I have had a look through searching and couldn't find anything relevant initially but please excuse me if this has been covered.

My car was serviced by a well respected company last week and during my weekly check over the car, checking fluids etc i noticed the oil level was WAY above the high mark, like 8mm higher. The car was on pertectly level ground and I did the usual wiping the stick clean and re dipped it to produce this reading. I have commuted to work all this week and still it's this high!? Surely this isn't good and will damage the cat? Also, the clutch fluid is black still despite me asking them to change it.

Clearly I need to go back to them to see if they actually changed the clutch fluid too. Are the clutch and gearbox fluid one and the same?

Thanks,

Dan
Old 07-06-2013, 11:41 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes you need to get the oil level sorted. It can force it's way out onto the clutch plate which is not cheap to rectify on an s2k
Old 07-06-2013, 11:49 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by WRCGooseS2K
Hi guys.

I have had a look through searching and couldn't find anything relevant initially but please excuse me if this has been covered.

My car was serviced by a well respected company last week and during my weekly check over the car, checking fluids etc i noticed the oil level was WAY above the high mark, like 8mm higher. The car was on pertectly level ground and I did the usual wiping the stick clean and re dipped it to produce this reading. I have commuted to work all this week and still it's this high!? Surely this isn't good and will damage the cat? Also, the clutch fluid is black still despite me asking them to change it.

Clearly I need to go back to them to see if they actually changed the clutch fluid too. Are the clutch and gearbox fluid one and the same?

Thanks,

Dan
Unless you've been Vteccing like a loon, draining the excess oil out ought to be fine.

Your second question is a highly confused; the ethylene glycol fluid in the clutch reservoir actuates the release mechanism in a similar way to the brake actuation in the reservoir adjacent to it; hydraulic pressure. If it's still black, simply threaten to make the service manager's eye a matching colour.

Gearbox oil is a lubricating mineral (or synthetic long-chain polymer blend) oil with additives which lubricates and cools the mechanical friction of the reduction gears in the transmission box.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:08 PM

during my weekly check over the car, checking fluids etc i noticed the oil level was WAY above the high mark, like 8mm higher. The car was on pertectly level ground and I did the usual wiping the stick clean and re dipped it to produce this reading. I have commuted to work all this week and still it's this high!? Surely this isn't good and will damage the cat?
8mm isn't ideal, but I wouldn't stress too much considering you've noticed quite quickly. You can drain some by placing a pan underneath the filter and unscrewing it. The filter holds a fair amount. When done (and after screwing the filter back on properly), crank the engine once (to load the filter with oil) then start it normally. Once the oil's been around the engine, shut it off, wait for a few minutes then check your dipstick. If it's still too high for your liking, repeat the process.

My car was serviced by a well respected company last week... Also, the clutch fluid is black still despite me asking them to change it.
Hmmm.

Are the clutch and gearbox fluid one and the same?

Definitely not. Use Honda MTF or an equivalent for the gearbox.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:03 PM

Dan - don't bother fannying about with getting underneath the car and using the drain plug. It'll make a proper mess. Go to your bathroom sink, switch on the tap then plug it with your finger... notice how wet you get? As for a 'clean' jug, I wouldn't put any oil / fluid / lubricant of any kind back in once drained from anywhere. Use some of your top-up (hopefully you've got some) instead. The filter method is clean and it means you can do it from under the bonnet.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:05 PM

Failing that, ask your 'respected company' to do it for you when they're doing your clutch fluid.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:52 PM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Most place's today have the ability to suck the oil out through the dip stick , take two mins and no one gets their hands dirty,,
Old 07-06-2013, 02:13 PM

Thanks for the comments guys, just wanted to know about any possible damage etc. I'll be contacting them regarding this ans work I have asked for has not been undertaken and overfilling the engine oil can be devastating to some engines, do that on my 220bhp golf turbo and it would destroy the cat amongst other things!
Old 07-06-2013, 02:21 PM

A cat can be replaced with ease and without too much of a dent to your wallet. An engine, on the other hand, due to low or a lack of oil would be much more expensive and time consuming. You've gone over by a few hundred mils, so I wouldn't worry. If it'd been overfilled by a litre or more, I'd be worrying. Chill. All is good.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:47 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Montag
Dan - don't bother fannying about with getting underneath the car and using the drain plug. It'll make a proper mess. Go to your bathroom sink, switch on the tap then plug it with your finger... notice how wet you get? As for a 'clean' jug, I wouldn't put any oil / fluid / lubricant of any kind back in once drained from anywhere. Use some of your top-up (hopefully you've got some) instead. The filter method is clean and it means you can do it from under the bonnet.
I wouldn't recommend undoing the oil filter once its been fitted. It has to be torqued properly or you risk it vibrating loose, which has happened to a few people and killed engines or caused fires.

Hand tight on these engines is not tight enough.

Quick Reply: Damage due to oil?