UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

CTR V S2k

Old 06-16-2005, 03:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input and views guys
Old 06-16-2005, 03:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did mean understeer into a corner. You're usually going to understeer into a corner in a FWD car if you overcook it. You CAN oversteer into a corner with the S if you REALLY overcook it, but it will usually end with you spinning off anyway. Understeer is hard to control, but oversteer can be self-correcting. Once you're sideways you can use that to scrub your speed and get into position to exit the corner. I also meant the hamfisted comment about the S.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by wadswoaj,Jun 16 2005, 02:28 AM
I don't remember seeing Tiff comparing the CTR and new Boxster...... ages ago 5th Gear did do a track test (in the wet) with the CTR and S2000 where the CTR was faster due to the S2000 driver being a total tool (he said he'd turned the traction control off!).

5th Gear (Tiff) did compare the new 2.7 Boxster against the Z4 3.0i recently and there wasn't much in it.
He raced 3 hot hatches,ctr vs ? vs ? and the gave away the winner (CTR) in one of their competitions. In passing, he said that the CTR lap time was quicker than the Boxster & Z4 from the week before
Old 06-16-2005, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by moff,Jun 16 2005, 10:18 AM
Is everyone reading a different thread to me? The poster was questioning the difference in performance, nothing else, not the roof, not the experience, not the image, just which is quicker.

The S may pip it by tenths of a second in a straight line, but it will take to most committed skilled driver to lose a well driven CTR on the twisties IMO. How many drivers on here can claim to be that skilled or to take the risks required on a country road? In many situations I think that since the CTR is much more predictable and easier to drive it would be quite easy to keep up with an averagely driven S2000.
Trouble is dude, people have to quantify and justify why they spent the extra
Old 06-16-2005, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by chilled,Jun 16 2005, 11:46 AM
You CAN oversteer into a corner with the S if you REALLY overcook it, but it will usually end with you spinning off anyway. Understeer is hard to control, but oversteer can be self-correcting. Once you're sideways you can use that to scrub your speed and get into position to exit the corner. I also meant the hamfisted comment about the S.
It's easy to correct understeer going into a corner. Straightening the wheels a little will give you your front traction back, allowing you to turn in more before flooring in out the other side.

Oversteer INTO a corner is the hard one to control, although a little oversteer upon exiting is fun (on a track!).

Nick
Old 06-16-2005, 04:36 AM

[QUOTE=UK_S2000,Jun 16 2005, 12:05 PM] Trouble is dude, people have to quantify and justify why they spent the extra
Old 06-16-2005, 04:46 AM

A load of you guys seem to have gone from Honda to Honda .. I've not.

I wouldn't even concider a bread van as a daily drive. FWD, you are having a laugh?

Performance in the real world, if it's anything like where I live. I can keep up with any Ferrari and kids in Nova's can keep up with me, cause usually you can't get over 40mph ..

Different cars, but I'm not a hot hatch person. If you want a quick car, I still recon
Old 06-16-2005, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by CTRnutter,Jun 16 2005, 12:36 PM
So it seems that most believe performance wise there is nothing in it unless you get on track and then it comes into its own
Exactly
Old 06-16-2005, 05:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CiderBoy,Jun 16 2005, 04:10 AM
It's easy to correct understeer going into a corner. Straightening the wheels a little will give you your front traction back, allowing you to turn in more before flooring in out the other side.

Oversteer INTO a corner is the hard one to control, although a little oversteer upon exiting is fun (on a track!).

Nick
I was finding oversteer into corners, whilst scary was lots of fun once you got used to it. You could get quite lairy with the car and still come out the other side without spinning. I saw quite a few other people spinning it doing the same thing.

With regards to the understeer I was more thinking because you're overcooking it quite a bit, rather than just not getting the car settled before turning in. On a track I'd much rather oversteer than understeer into a corner, but it might just be me being a
Old 06-16-2005, 09:25 AM

Main reason i wouldn't buy a CTR it's got a roof, don't care if it's faster by 0.0001 sec around a track!

In the 'S' when the suns out the tops down, can't do that in a CTR!!!!