UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

CTR V S2k

Old 06-16-2005, 01:50 AM

Received 654 Likes on 569 Posts

there are a few things to consider here

ctr cons:
the CTR is one fugly car.
you have to tell people you 'drive a civic'.
for
Old 06-16-2005, 01:53 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE=Bada Bing!,Jun 16 2005, 09:33 AM]
With the S2000, you're that guy.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Troll...
Old 06-16-2005, 02:00 AM

Have to say I'm not particularly bothered about being 'that guy' - I'd rather he

pissed off and bought an impreza!

But I'm with Bada Bing mostly.

I agonized last summer whether to go CTR or s2000.

The performance differences virtually cancel each other out.

Wet - CTR faster. Dry s2k faster.

But as others have pointed out, s2k wins on manner of delivery

It is quite simply a more involving, challenging drive.

But don't kid yourself the s will flatten the CTR on thre track in the dry,

Track challenge get the stook round in 1:19 - the CTR is only 2 or 3 seconds

slower. And these guys really do know how to drive.

Horses for courses - I think they are both great cars, but as a pure drivers

machine the s2k pips it.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Sundance,Jun 15 2005, 11:50 PM
I'm not sure I agree that it is an overall faster car - a good driver in an S2000 would run rings around a CTR on a track IMHO.
Think I remember seeing the CTR going round a track faster than the new Boxster in Tiff's hands on Fifth Gear... The old Boxster was quicker than the S on the Top Gear track (OK, it was wet). So reckon the CTR may edge the S on a track. Still wouldn't have one though!
Old 06-16-2005, 02:14 AM

How many people who have an S2000 want a CTR and vice versa? Which way is seen as 'upgrading'? Tbh i think the main reason people go for the CTR over the S is practicality or price. If you don't need the extra seats/room and you can afford it, why go for the CTR?
Old 06-16-2005, 02:18 AM

Is everyone reading a different thread to me? The poster was questioning the difference in performance, nothing else, not the roof, not the experience, not the image, just which is quicker.

The S may pip it by tenths of a second in a straight line, but it will take to most committed skilled driver to lose a well driven CTR on the twisties IMO. How many drivers on here can claim to be that skilled or to take the risks required on a country road? In many situations I think that since the CTR is much more predictable and easier to drive it would be quite easy to keep up with an averagely driven S2000.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by jimbob,Jun 16 2005, 10:05 AM
Think I remember seeing the CTR going round a track faster than the new Boxster in Tiff's hands on Fifth Gear... The old Boxster was quicker than the S on the Top Gear track (OK, it was wet). So reckon the CTR may edge the S on a track. Still wouldn't have one though!
I don't remember seeing Tiff comparing the CTR and new Boxster...... ages ago 5th Gear did do a track test (in the wet) with the CTR and S2000 where the CTR was faster due to the S2000 driver being a total tool (he said he'd turned the traction control off!).

5th Gear (Tiff) did compare the new 2.7 Boxster against the Z4 3.0i recently and there wasn't much in it.

On the road I've had several blasts with CTRs and there really isn't much in it....... I've also come across them on a track day and the difference is much greater there (in favour of the S)...... in fact one of the closest matches for the S2000 at that track day was a new tuned ITR which I couldn't pass until the driver allowed me but once in front even he couldn't keep up in the corners.

Is the ITR regarded as better or worse than the CTR?
Old 06-16-2005, 02:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well at Anglesea I didn't see any CTR's bother any of the S2k's. So track performance in the dry my money would be on the S2000. I also think it's often a judge of the driver too. Anyone can drive reasonably quickly in a CTR, but you get the best out of the S2000 and you're flying and having so much more fun. Understeering into the corner, trail braking, then application of the power on the exit will bring the back end back into line. You can only do the trail braking in the CTR and I never saw anyone doing that. But you won't understeer into the corner unless you're hamfisted. The car's just so well balanced.

Roads, where you're driving at 80% or less then it probably will be an even match. But driven hard on a track in the dry I'll take on ANY CTR. And even if I lose, I've had more fun (and demand to know what they've done under the bonnet )
Old 06-16-2005, 03:35 AM

Chilled do you mean understeering into a corner or oversteering?