UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

CTR V S2k

Old 06-15-2005, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excuse my ugly mug in the picture!! was quite tired after giving a clean before it went!!

Old

New

Old 06-16-2005, 12:06 AM

I had two CTR's before my S2k, the first was new on the 02 plate and the second was new on the 04 plate and was a facelifted model. IMHO the facelifted model was a better handling car than the previous one. Both were fantastic motors and probably easier to drive at speed than my S. On a dry road with drivers of equal skills, the S should come out on top. One thing is for sure though, the extra dosh spent buying an S buys a classier more desirable car. Geoff.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:11 AM

For 'real world' performance on the road there is no difference, my friend had a CTR and no matter what I did I couldn't lose him. I think the S is a fraction quicker 80-120mph but its hardly noticeable.

At Santa Pod he got a 14.5 1/4 mile and I got a 14.1. Not exactly much difference is there?

Both cars were stock.

I am talking straight line speed only, I can't comment about track speed etc.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:23 AM

Ask Fletch - he has one of each.

It was the CTR that brought me to the S. There was a Top Gear (I think it was) 'test' of the CTR in 2002. They tested on a track - wet - against an S. I had not seen an S 'in action' previously. On seeing the S perform against a 'hot hatch' I went and test drove the S, and then bought on.

They are different cars. My Focus outperforms my S when I have four people, or a pile of building materials to move. My six year old Matiz outperforms my S when I need to park in a small space in a threatening/hostile area. If someone says I wasted
Old 06-16-2005, 12:30 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

my brother in law has an anniversary model ctr with mugen exhaust and air box. it is a quick car, and up to about 60 there is not much in it in a straight line, probably about a car's length ahead to the s2000. after that the s2000 steadily leaves it behind. on the track, ctr just can't keep up in the corners from what i have seen.

on the road, i don't think you can really compare the speed on the twisties. it basically comes down to driver skill and how many risks the drivers are prepared to take.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:27 AM

Can the CTR drop its roof in 6 seconds? Surely thats worth
Old 06-16-2005, 01:29 AM

Never contributre to a CTR vs S2000 discussion on the CTR forum; you can argue your point 'til you're blue in the face and they still won't see it.

They also seem to constantly have at least one of these threads running. One of the reasons I hardly ever bother with the site.

I'm a little concerned that you've started one over here.

Similar performance, very different cars.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by lower,Jun 16 2005, 08:30 AM
it basically comes down to driver skill and how many risks the drivers are prepared to take.
an average driver in a CTR could keep up with a average driver in the S without too much trouble, it takes a fair bit of skill to get the last 20% out of the S on the road where the CTR driver can go upto and beyond the limit of the cars grip on the road where the natural reactions can sort out a bit of understeer. On a road neither driver knew well the CTR would probably be able to push harder in the hands of an average driver, on a road both knew well the S would be able to stay infront but it would still be close thouhg put a skilled driver at the wheel and the S would increase the gap IMO

Having said that on road performance is only one facet of ownership, there are other more obvious differences.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by moff,Jun 16 2005, 09:11 AM
For 'real world' performance on the road there is no difference.

On the track, or on a challenging B-road however, and it's all over. I was bored this morning so I wrote this:

Performance
The S2000 being RWD with an LSD just pisses on anything FWD on the slow/twisty stuff.

My mate has an ATR, and although mine is marginally faster, generally there's bugger all in it. However, there's a network of tight and twisty back roads near where we live and despite only maybe pulling a couple of car lengths on him on a dual carriageway, I can completely lose him on the backroads. He's an excellent driver too, but with FWD in difficult corners you spend FAR too much time off the power waiting for the nose to point out of the apex and the back end to firm up. With RWD, you can get on the power so much earlier and therefor exit at far higher a speed.

So, in summary, in town and on dual carriageways there's f*ck all in it till you get to scary speeds (which you shouldn't be doing anyway). But on the twisty stuff (clich
Old 06-16-2005, 01:42 AM

[QUOTE=wadswoaj,Jun 16 2005, 10:27 AM] Can the CTR drop its roof in 6 seconds? Surely thats worth