UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

CTR V S2k

Old 06-15-2005, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CTR V S2k

Right there is a discussion going on about these two at the mo and the general opinion on the CTR forum is the CTR has the same performance as the S2k and in some areas can pip it........!

My problem is I have owned an '04 Facelift CTR and my brother before me had an '02 CTR, I love the cars don't get me wrong but after driving in the S2k and now owning it for a month, I can't help but feel the S2k is quite a bit quicker it also feels more planted and gives more feedback, I generally feel if I was driving my old CTR round my favourite route against myself in the S2k the S2k would win hands down.

I said that I believe it is the next performance step in the Honda range, but actually have a moderator on their site strongly disagreeing with me, and effectively saying that the extra 10k I have stumped up is a waste of money!!!

What do you guys think? Personally I couldn't care a less because I am the one stepping into an S2k every morning, but some views from my side of the bridge would be great too

Mark
Old 06-15-2005, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by CTRnutter,Jun 16 2005, 08:17 AM
I said that I believe it is the next performance step in the Honda range, but actually have a moderator on their site strongly disagreeing with me, and effectively saying that the extra 10k I have stumped up is a waste of money!!!
Tell him you can't buy class

They're quite obviously different cars, so I don't understand why people try to compare them seriously.
If I wanted to drive around in a hot hatch I'd have bought one. They can;t seriously claim the CTR is a sportscar?

There are plenty cheaper ways to get S2000 levels of performance than buying one, but that's not the point.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pardon my ignorance but what IS a CTR?
Old 06-15-2005, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by AdrianEagle,Jun 16 2005, 07:31 AM
Pardon my ignorance but what IS a CTR?
Sorry Honda Civic Type-R
Old 06-15-2005, 11:42 PM

I test drove a CTR a week ago and thought it was ace. It didn't have a patch on the S in terms of driver feedback, but if I was in the market for a practical FWD car, then it would be at the top of my list...

Ash
Old 06-15-2005, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Sundance,Jun 16 2005, 07:42 AM
I test drove a CTR a week ago and thought it was ace. It didn't have a patch on the S in terms of driver feedback, but if I was in the market for a practical FWD car, then it would be at the top of my list...

Ash
That's all I was trying to say to them!! I love the CTR too, I wouldn't have owned one otherwise but I think I have made a better choice by moving to the S, and I also think it is faster!
Old 06-15-2005, 11:50 PM

The steering on the CTR is horrible. It's got no feel at all, and it felt very understeery too. Honda should have a put a LSD in there as an option. If the CTR guys want to see how a great FWD car drives, tell them to test an ITR (DC2) or Corrado.

No point in comparing to the S2000. RWD vs FWD kills the contest dead for me, before we talk about performance
Old 06-15-2005, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by CTRnutter,Jun 16 2005, 08:47 AM
That's all I was trying to say to them!! I love the CTR too, I wouldn't have owned one otherwise but I think I have made a better choice by moving to the S, and I also think it is faster!
I'm not sure I agree that it is an overall faster car - a good driver in an S2000 would run rings around a CTR on a track IMHO.

If you're talking about traffic light grand prix then there probably is not much in it.

The fact that you can now buy a second-hand CTR for 10k makes them all the more attractive...

Ash
Old 06-15-2005, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Bassoctopus,Jun 16 2005, 08:50 AM
It's got no feel at all, and it felt very understeery too. Honda should have a put a LSD in there as an option. If the CTR guys want to see how a great FWD car drives, tell them to test an ITR (DC2) or Corrado.

No point in comparing to the S2000. RWD vs FWD kills the contest dead for me, before we talk about performance
A tad harsh but

Ash
Old 06-15-2005, 11:53 PM

The CTR is good but come on - if you had a choice of the S and the CTR and money didn't come into it - which one would you pick?

Like I've said before, I've had two runs with CTRs - once on the motorway and once from a stop - both times beating it convincingly.