UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

:cry: A very sad day!! for 2 in S2000 crash

Old 07-23-2002, 01:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again, it just shows it only takes a few seconds to turn a drive into a tragedy.

take it easy on the roads all...

Often.
Old 07-23-2002, 01:46 AM
tnt

I recall a conversation I had with someone a few years ago, might have been my dad

He proposed that to make driving safer you install a steel spike in the steering wheel pointing directly at the driver's chest. The driver would be so aware of the danger he was in, should there be an accident, that he would drive more cautiously and, therefore, safer.

Not too sure what the RoSPA would say about it
Old 07-23-2002, 01:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tnt
[B]I recall a conversation I had with someone a few years ago, might have been my dad

He proposed that to make driving safer you install a steel spike in the steering wheel pointing directly at the driver's chest.
Old 07-23-2002, 02:14 AM
tnt

It is acknowledged that you learn by your mistakes - the problem is that a mistake in an S2000 can be fatal and you may never get that chance to learn
Old 07-23-2002, 04:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ianl
I saw an excellent (if somewhat grusome) documentary last year about the development of car safety over the last 50 years. The point was made that because of the considerable advances in car safety drivers where taking more and more risks on the road.
Connects with the discussion on one of the "Insurance" threads where I suggested that the longer you drive without having an accident, the more likely you were to have an accident due to the "Invincibility" factor
Old 07-23-2002, 09:12 AM

Originally posted by ianl

I saw an excellent (if somewhat grusome) documentary last year about the development of car safety over the last 50 years.
I saw this same documentary which admittedly was gruesome, but drove the point home rather well that we are not invincible and that we should not take any advances in road safety for granted and use them as an excuse to drive faster/brake later. I remember all too well the demonstration of what happens to an individuals feet and ankles on impact after they instinctively brace themselves in the last moments before a crash. Sickening, but a definite eye-opener.
Old 07-23-2002, 01:20 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally posted by tnt
It is acknowledged that you learn by your mistakes - the problem is that a mistake in an S2000 can be fatal and you may never get that chance to learn
True, but even better to learn by someone else's mistakes........

I'll scan a pic of my M3 write off in the next few days, just to show that an awfully large part of the outcome is down to luck.
Old 07-23-2002, 11:47 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tifosi Red
[B]Notes On Race Car Harnesses - Design and Installation
Old 07-24-2002, 02:23 AM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally posted by MarkB

Very enlightening Chris, nice to know I have the Locost harness almost right, the only exception being I have a single crutch strap - off to buy a double strap this weekend methinks.
Mark, makes sense. A few queries if I may:

What's the
Old 07-24-2002, 02:50 AM

Rog,

In answer:-

Cost for the harness or the whole car?
Website for the harness or for my car (pic of my car is in my album here I think)?
Yes, AFAIK but I'll be checking this Sunday when I go over to move the pedal box, since the harness is fixed just behind the shoulders and the engine is only a 1300 Xflow i'm not too worried about the 3" webbing since there isn't too much strap to stretch.
I only have a drivers seat, I have a fire extinguisher for a passenger.

This is in the Locost, not the S2000. Fitting to the S2000 would be more difficult since the seats don't have holes for straps and mounting points would be hard to find. As I have a Caterham race seat in the Locost all the right holes are in it and the mounting points a pretty much where I decide to put them (within reason).

Quick Reply: :cry: A very sad day!! for 2 in S2000 crash