UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

crunchy gearbox

Old 05-09-2010, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crunchy gearbox

Hi all,

My 08 plate S has 4.8K on the clock and I'm getting slightly concerned that the gearbox shouldn't be as crunchy as it is.
It crunches occasionally (and usually very mildly) into 2nd and 3rd, and taking the change nice and easy doesn't help. Although it does it more when cold than hot it still does it when tip top running temp.
ALSO if the car is in neutral and I put the clutch down and put it into first there is a tiny jolt through the floor pan.. that can't be normal surely ! (I should say that doesn't happen if you still have the clutch depressed from changing from another gear)
In all other respects the clutch & box are fine
I haven't taken it to Honda yet....
Old 05-09-2010, 12:42 AM

Sounds about normal to me
Old 05-09-2010, 12:50 AM
Community Organizer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would start changing the gearbox oil. Genneraly oils do need changing every year even if you haven't done a lot of miles. The adiitives they have inside start loosing their lubricate cababilities after a year so it is recommended to change even if the car hasn't done a lot of miles
Old 05-09-2010, 02:27 AM

Mine has always 'crunched' even after having changed the gearbox oil. It appers that it is normal
Old 05-09-2010, 02:32 AM
Banned

I'd give it a good servicing by a compentent tech and have them check for free-play in the gear linkage. Unless it is a HUGE crunch that sounds like a learner lorry driver I wouldn't worry too much. Some changes to your technique may help as well.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:10 AM

Amsoil MTF in the gearbox helped mine to stop crunching into second and third when it was cold...might be worth a try!
Old 05-09-2010, 03:14 AM

Thanks for the comments so far .. I'm slightly reassured that I don't seem to be alone in this!

It has just had its first Honda service a few weeks ago (after the previous owner didn't bother) where they gave it a full systems check for me, cracking garage so I wouldn't have thought they would have missed linkage woes or low fluid levels (but I guess you never can tell unless you do it yourself).

I've tried changing my driving style a bit and it doesn't help. Unless you mean I should try double declutching ! I haven't tried that !
Old 05-09-2010, 03:54 AM

And its the best gearbox in the world

Both mine were poor too.

Russ.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Laserlady,May 9 2010, 12:14 PM
I've tried changing my driving style a bit and it doesn't help. Unless you mean I should try double declutching ! I haven't tried that !
I double declutch from 1st to 2nd esp when cold. Makes a big difference for me

If it's minor cruching that you get I wouldn't worry, it's normal. A slower change when cold can help as well.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:02 AM

Right I'm off to try double declutching from 1st to 2nd too !
I've tried slowing down the change and if i try and slower I might as well go backwards ! Nah, seriously though if I do try a really slow change it doesn't crunch as much but the feel the knotchyness of the box comes shouting through the stick.

I'll have a look at Amsoil MTF too !

:

Quick Reply: crunchy gearbox