UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

'Creaking' front passenger side brake

Old 07-27-2012, 04:21 AM
DCC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 'Creaking' front passenger side brake

Hi all,

I will do my best in the latest edition of describe a sound! I tried to record it but I can't really do it on my tod!

I have a very strange occurrence with my brakes - its only noticeable at lower speeds but i think its present all the time, but when brake, the front passenger brake makes what can only be described as a creaking noise! It sounds what you expect a rusty spring to sound like, almost like an old spring garden door.

It is a rhythmic sound as well, that matches the rotation of the wheel i.e. the faster i'm going the faster the repetition of the creaking noise.

I'm confident its not a seized calliper (just had a rear one replaced) as it only happens under braking. I get the feeling it is either a) a warped disc due to the rhythmic sound, but doesn't explain the odd noise; or b) something is up with the mechanics of the calliper (perhaps a dodgy garden-fence-like spring?!) - but that doesn't explain the rhythmic sound?!

I tried search creaking brakes on here, but the examples are usually the rear and are usually solved as seized calipers...

this clip [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqZn5Vj5lZw&feature=player_embedded[/media] is kind of similar to the sound I experience, but not as loud and its clearly to do with the rotation of the wheel (therefore disc presumably).

I know its nigh on impossible playing the "diagnose this from a description of a sound" game, but this forum has performed similar magic in the past!

cheers.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can you jack it up and have a better look/listen when you spin the wheel?
Old 07-27-2012, 07:02 AM
DCC

I won't be able to in the near future I don't think - i'm away from my car for a little while (partly because i'm a bit worried its something serious, so taking train instead).

If no diagnosis can be made, I can try get a clip next week, once I get back and find some time and a willing friend!

I should note, that although i'm choosing not to drive it this weekend, i wouldn't know about this problem but for the fact that i heard with the top down; it still brakes straight and true and the disk isn't showing any strange signs of wear (like a seized calliper would show - so hopefully its just something that needs greasing!?
Old 07-27-2012, 07:07 AM

Where abouts in Surrey are you?
Old 07-27-2012, 09:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How often do you drive the car and how hard?
Old 07-27-2012, 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe the slider is seized and it's to do with that. Or maybe something to do with the metal clips.

But if you CBA to have a look, I'm not sure what you expect from the forum.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a lack of grease on the moving parts...copper slip is your friend.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:13 PM
DCC

Winfreak I'm in Woking... are you nearby?

Gary b only at the weekend... but I do enjoy a spirited drive... but even when I drive it hard I don't leave the handbrake on when I park, so I do think a warped disc is unlikely...

Dembo is not that I can't be arsed, it's just that I'm not around atm and Billy no mates, and also I'm pretty mechanically retarded and have no idea how or what to look for chap! So really what I'm looking for from the forum is some guidance of what it might be and what I should look for to diagnose it...

I've read a bit about seized sliders, but I don't see how that would cause the rhythmic noise that coincides with the rotation of the disc? But as mentioned, I'm fairly retarded in terms of mechanics, so feel free to disagree!

Help is appreciated!
Old 07-29-2012, 09:49 PM

I'm not that far, M25 jct9. If you can't find anybody you can always pop round so we can have a look at it
Old 07-31-2012, 12:52 AM
DCC

Cheers for the offer Winfreak, i may yet take you up on that.

Strangely, I took it out Sunday evening to try and get a recording of it, and there was no noise?!

It was raining pretty brutally, so i'm wondering: a) if there was some crap in there that got cleaned out (seems unlikely)!? or b) (based on the suspicion of a slightly warped disc) that it kept the brakes cooler, and so no expansion of the disc and therefore no rubbing occurred? still doesnt explain the creaky noise though?!

I'll have to take it out for a decent drive down some twisties next time its dry and see if that prompts it... in which case i'll be knocking on your door winfreak so i can find out if i'm actually losing the plot!

Quick Reply: 'Creaking' front passenger side brake