UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Crazy Autochanger wiring

Old 12-16-2003, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(Note: I've installed in a number of car stereos, so I wouldn't class myself an amateur on this subject.)

I've got the following ICE setup in my S

MY00 OEM Head Unit
Alpine branded autochanger (not Honda OEM part) with an Alpine 8pin DIN connector
Stock speakers

When playing cds I get vocals and bass in my driver's side speaker and top and mid in the passenger side (no vocals whatsoever in passenger side ) and occasionally some interference which I thought was a blown speaker.

Update:

1) It's not the changer - I've tried my other one in the car with the same results.

2) It's not the HU amp - works fine for the radio and cassette

3) It's not the speaker crossover - again works fine for the radio and cassette

So it must be something to do with the cable betwixt HU and changer or the connectors

Looks like I'll have to pull the hu out tomorrow and try swapping the cable, unless it was butchered to get it to work with a non-OEM HU to save money buying an adapter.

Anyone else had this problem?
Old 12-16-2003, 09:00 AM

Old 12-16-2003, 09:11 AM

Old 12-16-2003, 09:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Honda headunit connection is Alpine's M-Bus but with two pins swapped. You either need to use the Honda changer (I've mine for sale in the for sale forum... blatent plug ), or get a conversion lead. You can find the pins that are swapped with a search. I can't be sure this is your problem - I'd have guessed the changer wouldn't work at all. But it could be.

-Brian.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:30 AM

Thanks Brian,

Looks like I'll have to pull the hu to find out if it's a conversion adapter or a butchered lead. As the cable works with one of my other changers the Alpine unit obviously hasn't been modified.

BTW I've amalgamated everything into my first post
Old 01-20-2004, 06:37 AM

Update on this post because I've since spoken to someone else who has had the same problem and this question has just come up again by a new user.

The Alpine non-OEM changer was fitted to the Honda head unit with an interface converter box. It was this box that was causing the problem.

The Honda headunit Pre 02 is in fact a Bose unit which just happens to use the 8 pin DIN connector. The actual Honda 8pin DIN connectors are slightly larger than the Alpine 8pin din connector and you really have to force them to fit.

The interface converter worked in that it allowed the cd changer to play but it was really screwing up the audio signal to the point where you could hear the cd but the sound was utter

In order to fix my system I bought a second hand Honda changer and sold my Alpine changer on Ebay for around the same price I priced up a new interface converter box which was
Old 01-20-2004, 06:43 AM

Bin it and buy an Alpine MP3 head unit. Job done
Old 01-20-2004, 06:46 AM

In priniciple. I didn't want to spend much/any money on ICE for the S as it's not my everyday car, and I found a cheap solution - a second hand Honda changer.

For the money you will spend on getting a new Honda changer or messing around with converters Daern is completely right, you might as well get an Alpine unit in the first place.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:57 AM
GSi

Why not keep it as it was.. That way you can use the left right balance for instant in car karoke
Old 01-20-2004, 07:08 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Quick Reply: Crazy Autochanger wiring