UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Crashed SK2 this evening

Old 07-30-2005, 03:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad it's worked out OK and you weren't hurt. Was the rain following this hot weather we've had recently? If so look no further for the most likely cause. Roads are at their most greasy and lethal in these circumstances.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:41 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Jeci, thats worrying. I put a post up the other day about driving in the wet, to see if these cars really do just let go with no warning. Guess I wont know til it happens!

MB
Old 07-30-2005, 04:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark Blue Mark,Jul 30 2005, 03:41 AM
Jeci, thats worrying. I put a post up the other day about driving in the wet, to see if these cars really do just let go with no warning. Guess I wont know til it happens!

MB
I know one that that its scary!
Old 07-30-2005, 02:14 PM

All this talk of loosing it without warning is worrying.

Do the 2002 and later cars behave more predictably?

Jeremy
Old 07-31-2005, 02:24 AM

In my experince having owned a 00 and an 04 there is no discernable difference on the limit! The trick is not to get there!

80% in 2nd in the wet is well in to vtec

Have a look at MB's wet driving thread

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...pic=309064&hl=
Old 07-31-2005, 03:52 AM

Went to see her yesterday, she was looking in a bit of a sorry state, see picks below. Should be a couple of weeks before I get her back. The other S they had in had a brick wall fall on it!

Went to look at the road it happended on, looks like I may have hit VTEC in 2nd when the wheels were not quite straight coming off the roundabout..dohhh. I'll be staying away from VTEC in the wet from now on. Take it easy out there in the wet.

Old 07-31-2005, 05:46 AM

I haven't had the pleasure of driving the S in the wet but I do have some roundabouts that are extremely slippery as they have been polished to a high degree by the passage of vehicles and also something to do with the heat.

At a suitable time (late at night) it's so easy to get beautifully controlled throttle OS. Are you able to do this in the wet or is it a case of just too much too soon in the wrong conditions.

We have a lot of corners where the road surface turns from grippy to glass mid bend and I've always found easy to catch then as well.

I've never had her bite me yet where it's been uncontrollable. Even at high speeds in the dry I've been able to deal with her stepping out. Maybe it's just me and plenty of karting experience.

Your's confused,

Asterix x
Old 07-31-2005, 05:54 AM

Glad that you are ok and sorry that the car is damaged. I am sure that you feel gutted and I don't blame you.

On a side note I drive fairly fast in the wet, perhaps about 60-80% of dry weather driving depending on the conditions. In two years of driving I have never had the rear let go on mine ever. The only exception to this was on a very wet track day on my out lap. When it happened I corrected it and although I was doing only around 40mph at the time I didn't manage to catch it. It was however apparent that the track was very slippery under the treees and my tires were very cold.

Therefore I find it all very difficult to understand why so many people say that the rear has stepped out on them. Like I said I go for a drive when my mood so dictates and this can be during rain or shine and not ONCE has the rear slid out. Is it the car or the driver which is the problem? Maybe I have been lucky so far and it will catch me out one day and spit me out to the side of the road.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:48 AM

Sorry to see th car like that but I reckon that it was turning into a submarine and got stuck half way like the Bond Esprit!

Glad you're safe and sound
Old 07-31-2005, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by dave99,Jul 31 2005, 11:52 AM
Went to see her yesterday, she was looking in a bit of a sorry state, see picks below. Should be a couple of weeks before I get her back. The other S they had in had a brick wall fall on it!

Went to look at the road it happended on, looks like I may have hit VTEC in 2nd when the wheels were not quite straight coming off the roundabout..dohhh. I'll be staying away from VTEC in the wet from now on. Take it easy out there in the wet.
At least you are OK and have worked out what went wrong so it shouldn't happen again!

The car doesn't look that bad. Front bumper and full OF suspension?
Still expensive though.

Make sure you change both rear tyres!

You'll be back out there soon!

Quick Reply: Crashed SK2 this evening