UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Cracked Windscreen [visited Autoglass: pics pg2]

Old 11-18-2010, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chet,Nov 18 2010, 04:49 PM
^ Please explain!
Well they use a knife to cut the screen out which scratched through the painted metal screen frame. This then rusted, rust expands as the metal takes on oxygen causing a stress on the glass, this caused it to crack.

The latest fitter told me why it had happened, i did think it was odd as it cracked with no stone chip .
Old 11-19-2010, 02:28 AM

Thanks for the responses everyone!
Old 11-19-2010, 05:28 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by chet,Nov 18 2010, 09:00 AM
Rich, can you please explain why/how the 'frame' comes into play during the replacement process? Surely the fixer dude isn't going to care about the 'frame', but only the windscreen itself?

By frame, am I right to assume you mean A pillar?
Yep Piller, suround or what ever you want to call it. If there are any chips scratches rust etc that you want to get sorted it's a good time to do so, with the glass out. Simples!
Old 11-19-2010, 09:48 AM

One other thing I don't think anyone's mentioned.

I had my windscreen replaced earlier this year by Autoglass and the black plastic trim (external) doesn't fit very well anymore. There is a gap of about 1/4" at the bottom where it meets the glass.

I didn't notice this until the next day and took it back and they tried to fix it but no joy. Something about the number of fixing points being insufficient to get a tight seal (b'sh1t). I couldn't be arsed to argue and was in a rush, and as it's just cosmetic decided to live with it (putting it down to me being a fussy bugga)

It still annoys me though every time I wash the car
Old 11-19-2010, 10:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've got an ADT/ADK (or something like that) screen due to irripairable chip that cracked one day.

been perfect for the last year-ish.

they touched up the frame (rust prevention stuff i think), and fitted new seal.

i've had a few screens & windows replaced, all of which have been perfect. some cracked some vandalized. i used RAC Windscreen everytime.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:54 AM

Just a quick update...

Autoglass have told me they've tried ever so hard to source a Pilkington glass for me, though they have a total of zero company-wide and are finding it difficult to source .

The only other options are:

- Go with what they have in stock, I think its Safeguard/Safeglass, which they are adamant will be good enough;
- Source a glass direct from Honda, but its up to me to settle the difference in cost after the insurance have covered the initial £70;

As my MOT is due within about 4 weeks, and won't pass with the current crack, I'll just go with what they've got - I'm hoping that all windscreens are manufactured to a certain industry standard!!

Incidentally, they have a S2000 having a windscreen replacement performed today, at their Heathrow branch. Anyone from here?
Old 12-09-2010, 03:11 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

National Windscreens fitted my new one yesterday, it doesn't leak, it doesn't creak and the seal fits perfectly. The mirror went back on without a problem and it cost me £50 all in.

I have no idea what make the glass is - i didn't check
Old 12-09-2010, 03:45 AM

unclefester - I had a choice between National Windscreen and Autoglass! Lets hope I didn't make the wrong choice .

Referencing my post earlier ^ and the Honda S2000 my local branch have had in today.... not great news!
They just called me and told me they've NOT managed to do a great job! ...that the trim that goes around the windscreen has been left loose !!

We agreed they'll order the part for the trim from Honda for my appointment, so that they can fit a new one.

Not sure how they're going to deal with the one they've got there today. It's a hardtop, if that makes any difference...
Old 12-09-2010, 03:49 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

NO different at all as far as i can see - my original trim ( assuming the glass was original which isn't likely) was a mess and didn't fit at all well. The new trim ( from Honda) fits perfectly.

I will go see what make of glass they used.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:50 AM

They're not going to fit a screen that isn't up to the required standards.

Stop farking about and get whichever one they have fitted.

Quick Reply: Cracked Windscreen [visited Autoglass: pics pg2]