UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Corrosion on '02 wheels anyone ?

Old 12-02-2003, 12:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Curious what's meant by the centre caps corroding. Do you mean the area round the cap, or the cap itself? (On MY2001 wheels and earlier at least, the centre caps are plastic).

-Brian.
Old 12-02-2003, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't have any corrosion on the outside or the spokes. But llast time I had the wheels off for clean and wax - - noticed quite a lot what I wd call efflorescence on the insides - not the back of the spokes - the rims.

see the Renault has none of this.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:30 AM

mine (02) have got what i would call corrosion pits on the spokes and where the spokes curve around onto the wheel, but only the frt wheels. these wheels get washed 1 or 2 times a week. As it is only on the frt. do you think it could have anything to do with the brake dust.
As to leaving the car outside quite often you can do more harm than good puttin a wet car away in the garage, as there is not any wind to dry off the car not just the top but underside aswell.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:32 AM

Originally posted by bmarshall
Curious what's meant by the centre caps corroding. Do you mean the area round the cap, or the cap itself? (On MY2001 wheels and earlier at least, the centre caps are plastic).

-Brian.
The front of the cap itself on the replacement alloys I got from Hyndland Honda is marked, as if oxidised, c size of a 1 p piece.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:38 AM

I have done 13500 miles and my car lives outside in the elements and is now 7 months old. No corrosion or pitting. I am getting some stains in the corners of the alloys from brake dust, but this is easily removed with my alloy wheel cleaner (non-corrosive).
Old 12-02-2003, 04:43 AM

my alloys have also been damaged by tyrefitters. First time I got them to repair them and they touched up with paint. Good job but noticeable if you know.

Second time, different fitter, one rim damaged but it took so long and 3 attempts to get the right SO2s put on, I have lost all patience and do not want to go back and go through more hassle to fix them.

Anyone know a good alloy wheel repairer in SE London or the colour of the paint on the alloys (2000 yearmodel)
thanks
Old 12-02-2003, 08:03 AM
JMP

Originally posted by bmarshall

-Brian.

On mine the actual surface of the cap is bubbling up and "corroding". I'll try to get some photos done at the weekend and perhaps finally get round to joining the site proper so I can post them!

Jon
Old 12-02-2003, 12:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My wheels lasted 3 years before starting to corrode. This was mainly due to the fact the car had only been wet a few times and wasn't driven much in Winter. Since I drove my car last winter the wheels have got worse. Still arguing with my dealer about them as I pointed out the corrosion prior to the 3 year warranty being up but they dismissed it.

It isn't really bad but it isn't acceptable IMO.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the MY2002 and later wheels, if you get a new set it might be worth trying applying some great round the centre cap and bore, before the cap's fitted after the tyres go on. It might just stop water getting trapped, and starting the corrosion.

I think biker's solution, of getting more laquer put on the wheels when new is about all you can do. False economy or not, it seems skimping on laquer is the case for most Japanese wheels.

WIth my JDM 6 spokes, I had them fully stripped and powder coated. It's a tougher finish than paint/laquer, but the price you pay is the finish itself isn't as good. They're easier to clean - nothing seems to stick to the powdercoat - so I'm happy. The chap who did them, mostly does rally wheels... so they finish is normally tested in a harsh environment!

-Brian.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:55 PM

Originally posted by Paul(UK)
My wheels lasted 3 years before starting to corrode. This was mainly due to the fact the car had only been wet a few times and wasn't driven much in Winter. Since I drove my car last winter the wheels have got worse. Still arguing with my dealer about them as I pointed out the corrosion prior to the 3 year warranty being up but they dismissed it.

It isn't really bad but it isn't acceptable IMO.
Isn't the corrosion warranty for 6 years?

Quick Reply: Corrosion on '02 wheels anyone ?