UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Corroded wheels out of warranty

Old 01-15-2004, 04:59 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally posted by neil_s2k
BTW, anyone got any ideas for making the wheel nuts shiny? The shiny one is the one I replaced the locking nut with
Autosol.

FFS don't confuse that with Anusol.

Trouble is, once the rust starts, it will keep coming back through the chrome plate.
Old 01-15-2004, 05:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Nick Graves

Trouble is, once the rust starts, it will keep coming back through the chrome plate.
Is this referring to the Anusol or the Autosol?
Old 01-15-2004, 05:07 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by san2000
Old 01-15-2004, 08:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The other thing I would suggest - as well as standing over the tyre fitter and making sure they set their kit up right and don't scratch your wheels - is taking the wheels on and off yourself with hand-tools. (Grease the studs & flange and torque the nuts when you're done.) The worst thing for chromed wheel nuts is letting some monkey attack them with an air wrench (undoing them this way is bad enough - overtightening with the air wrench is v bad!). I'll bet that's what started your nuts off (if you pardon the expression!)
Old 01-15-2004, 08:40 AM

My nuts aren't rusty that's just dirt/mud on them. They're just a bit dull compared to the shiny new ones.

The flash on that photo has also made my callipers look a lot more rusty than they really are.

Update from Honda UK. They have rung the dealer to ask him for the photos, so I guess that's a good sign. They're obviously considering it. Maybe they're reading this thread
Old 01-15-2004, 08:59 AM
MrV

It will be interesting when our time comes to complain about the wheels ,the only question i asked when takeing out an extended warrenty was "does it cover the corrsion on wheels " the answer in black and white was yes can see some fun comeing about when i shove the bit of paper under their nose
Old 01-15-2004, 09:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by MrV
silly question but has anyone ever thought of going to Watchdog if enough of us have this prob ????
Apologies if someone has already posted this on the thread, but when I asked an alloy wheel repairer to look at the scratches on my wheels a couple of months ago he told me not to spend money getting them sorted out - apparently ALL japanese alloys aren't coated with sufficient lacquer to protect them against British weather - he's always relacquering jap alloys. He told me to simply get them replaced under warranty as he assured me that they would start to corrode prior to the warranty expiry.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:25 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

That makes sense.

The MX-5 (and Civic VTi) alloys were pretty shabby at 3 years old.

Fortunately, Tamiya Aluminium Silver is a good colour match, so one can repeatedly touch them in!
Old 01-16-2004, 10:27 AM

I seem to remember seeing an alloy wheel repair kit in Halfords for
Old 01-16-2004, 11:12 AM

When I enquired about the Honda After Care warranty thing from three Dealers to see what price I could get it for I asked the same question to all of them "Will it cover corroded alloys?" The answer from all was the same, "No Sir, It will only cover you for engine (mechanical) and electrical." one gave me the answer as an example, "If the hood stopped working on your car then the mechanism will be covered but the vinyl, windows and seals wouldn't be"

I concluded that it was a waste of time and money as the engine has the extra year in any event due to the oil bolt recall.

I would love to watch thier face when you show them that peice of paper MR V and they have to replace them F.O.C.

Rob

Quick Reply: Corroded wheels out of warranty