UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Corroded wheels out of warranty

Old 01-14-2004, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 3-year warranty period expired on 08 January 2004. I had the car MOT done before Christmas and asked the Dealer to have a look at the wheel corrosion. They said they would have to take some photographs and send the on to Honda UK for their decision. Thinking that their photos would be taken with a Box Brownie at 10 paces I took some of my own and provided the dealer with copies. I have not yet had any response.

It is only the front wheels which are really affected (see below). Do those of you who have had this problem of corrosion think that my wheels should be replaced?

Old 01-14-2004, 12:15 PM

They look about the same as my other 3, which I'm not too upset about. Here's the one I'm trying to get sorted...

Not a great photo, but it's dark and the wheels are dirty. Check out the centre cap area, the metal seems to be wearing away.

Old 01-14-2004, 12:16 PM

BTW, anyone got any ideas for making the wheel nuts shiny? The shiny one is the one I replaced the locking nut with
Old 01-14-2004, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by AquilaEagle
BW you posted pics of those wheels? i dont remember you having it done?
I need both light and decent weather thats why . Will probably post when I have the Supersprint on towards the end of the month...
Old 01-14-2004, 12:32 PM
MrV

that looks worse than mine Neil cant beleve that its only a year old

Only way i can find to clean the nuts properly is to take them off to do it (1 at a time ) if your leaveing them on the car
Old 01-14-2004, 01:10 PM

They may be corroded, but it hasn't affected the CORNERing abilities of the car
Old 01-14-2004, 01:43 PM

The first pictures looked very similar to mine and they were replaced just 3 months prior to the 3 year warranty running out. I think that I saw the first signs of the new ones going.

I wash the wheels pretty much every week and never leave them long if they get really dirty. The new ones have been off the car twice since and have been polished thoughly each time. My Audi wheels looked perfect after 3 years not a blemish on them. Can't say the same about the Honda ones. If they get worse then I will be looking for Honda to sort although I don't rate my chances. As the warranty ran out in November and anything replaced under warranty is covered until the manufactures waranty runs out and not 12 months. I am told that Honda know exactly which chassis numbers are affected too.
Cheers Rob
Old 01-14-2004, 01:59 PM
MrV

silly question but has anyone ever thought of going to Watchdog if enough of us have this prob ????
Old 01-14-2004, 10:42 PM

Originally posted by MrV
silly question but has anyone ever thought of going to Watchdog if enough of us have this prob ????
That's something I'll be mentioning to Honda UK if they aren't prepared to replace it.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:03 AM

Originally posted by neil_s2k
BTW, anyone got any ideas for making the wheel nuts shiny? The shiny one is the one I replaced the locking nut with
Neil - difficult to tell from the photo - but to me it looks as though the plating is damaged - in which case I think the recourse is either a) replate or b) new nuts

I have noticed with my '02 wheels that, while the outside of the wheels is OK, the inner part is pockmarked.
Think the only solution is the biker1 one of n++++++ coats of lacquer - wish I had done this back in May '02 when he suggested it

BTW on matters semi-tech - I wait to be corrected

Quick Reply: Corroded wheels out of warranty