UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Corroded wheels out of warranty

Old 01-14-2004, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nick,

He should be (or is that would be).

Unfortunately under SOG (rather than Consumer protection) your claim is against retailer not manufacturer or importer. His claim is against importer "privity" of contract and all that stuff.

So unfortunately no matter how helpful your dealer ultimately its him you have to sue.

This is a personal hobby horse I'm fed up of taking crap from retailers (of any sort) one letter then whack-em with a writ. Provided amount is small(ish) most settle to avoid cost of defending. Obviously you need to be on fairly firm ground and not file frivolously or you may find yourself forking out!

Don
Don
Old 01-14-2004, 10:04 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by neil_s2k
Old 01-14-2004, 10:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the info - I think I understand the problem now. One more question though, and if you have suffered the corrosion problem, how often (and how) do you wash the wheels (I soap the whole wheel including behind the spokes weekly and then hose off - no problems yet but I haven't had the car long)?
Old 01-14-2004, 10:26 AM

I bought the car privately, so the dealer owes me no favours.

My gripe is with Honda UK replacing a substandard part with another substandard part. For example, if my gearbox breaks every year and Honda keep replacing it until the warranty is up and then say it's not their responsibilty after 3 years, is that right?

Honda know there is a problem with these wheels, they haven't recalled them, or fixed the problem (the replacements are just as crap as the originals), they are just replacing them until 3 years are up and then saying it's not their problem. The age of the car is irrelevant, the age of the faulty wheel is under 12 months old.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:31 AM

Neil, this has been playing on my mind ever since I heard about the problem.
Is it something you could post in the Tell Honda section.

Do the Americans, Continentals and Japanese have the same wheels as us, and do they have the same probs? Have Honda in these countries behaved in the same way?
Old 01-14-2004, 10:34 AM
MrV

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mikdys
Thanks for the info
Old 01-14-2004, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by san2000
Do the Americans, Continentals and Japanese have the same wheels as us, and do they have the same probs? Have Honda in these countries behaved in the same way?
Good idea San, I'll wait until I get a final decision from Honda UK (hopefully tomorrow).

I reckon that the main corrosion is caused by the huge amount of salt we put on the roads here in the UK. I know Japan don't really use salt on the roads, but I guess that some US states must have to
Old 01-14-2004, 10:40 AM
MrV

Neil are your replacement wheels the 99/00 style or did Honda replace them with the newer style ,just trying to pin it down as to weather its an across the board prob or just the early ones
Old 01-14-2004, 10:44 AM

They are the (much nicer IMO ) 99-01 design

If you do a search there is a lot of detail about this problem. IIRC There was a thread with a very long list of members who had problems, and IIRC there were some 02 owners. Brian Marshall mentioned that he'd had problems with his JDM BBS wheels and had them re-lacquered himself.

I'll take a pic of mine if I get home before it's dark tomorrow.
Old 01-14-2004, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

BW you posted pics of those wheels? i dont remember you having it done?

Quick Reply: Corroded wheels out of warranty