UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Corroded wheels out of warranty

Old 01-14-2004, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corroded wheels out of warranty

Just waiting back to hear from Honda UK about my corroded wheel - dealer doesn't think it looks good though

My car is 3yrs and 11months old. Andy (previous owner)had the wheels replaced under warranty within the last year and I've got one wheel which is terrible condition. I took it to my dealer yesterday who took a pic and promised to try his best to get a replacement from Honda.

My question is this - if this wheel has been replaced within 12 months should there not still be some kind of warranty on the wheel? Does anyone know where I stand legally on this?
Old 01-14-2004, 09:24 AM

Neil
I had the same story, hopefully if I can make it on sunday you can have a look at my restored ones which maybe a way of riding the corrosion without replacing the wheels
Old 01-14-2004, 09:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Legally, I think you will find that you only get a full "parts warranty" if you purchase the replacement parts. If you have "free" parts fitted under the maker's original warranty the warranty on the parts fitted will expire on the same day as the maker's warranty expires (even if that's one day later!)

Out of interest, where do these wheels corrode (the wheels on my car were replaced before I bought it)? Are they worse than other sorts of alloy wheel? Could it be where the tyres wear out so quickly the rims get damaged by the tyre fitters and water then gets in under the laquer (I kept my beady eye on the last tyre fitter that got near my wheels to make sure he didn't scratch them - he loved that job!)?
Old 01-14-2004, 09:32 AM
MrV

Would have thought you should have some redress Neil,gonna try and get ours done under the extended warrenty ,not that im planning to hold my breath on getting them replaced

Boy Wonder how much did it cost to get yours redone ???

Mikdys cant speak for the others but ours have corrosion on the spokes close to the centre of the wheel not on the outer part
Old 01-14-2004, 09:36 AM

Neil,

If they don't cough up a new wheel then IMHO your best bet lays in the Sale of Goods Act 1979 Section 14 2B (e) with regard to the wheels satisfactory quality. I think the corrosion if clear cut case of lacking the required durability.
You can institute a "small claims" procedure on-line.
I suggest formal letter to dealer explaining that you will file in fourteen days if he has not remedied and then don't mess about just stick a writ on him. He will almost certainly settle because it is not in his interest to spend money on solicitor who will advise him to settle anyway.

Don
Old 01-14-2004, 09:40 AM

Restorers normally charge
Old 01-14-2004, 09:42 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Many wheels are trashed by tyre centre monkeys.

The corrosion seems to affect the sides of the spokes. I believe that because they protrude into the airflow and are of an open design, they succumb to a sort of "gravel rash." Once the laquer is damaged, corrosion soon starts.

Others have had it start on the sharp edge between the "front" and the "back" of the wheel, where the coating tends to run thin.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:42 AM

Don,

The dealer is on my side, it's Honda UK that aren't playing ball unfortunately. They haven't called the dealer back yet today - he's called them twice

Nick,

Mine are also bubbling around the centre cap
Old 01-14-2004, 09:54 AM

Cost was
Old 01-14-2004, 09:59 AM

Hope you can make it on Sunday, I'd be interested to see what kind of job they've made of it.
IIRC Tifosi red had his wheel's done anthracite and they looked great

Quick Reply: Corroded wheels out of warranty