UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Cooling/Coolant system issues

Old 08-05-2009, 09:27 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The spoon HG will yeild some performance as it ups the compression ratio, do you think thats wise?

As Matt says skimming the head needs to be a good job and be flat, i had an old punto and I'm sure it was done properly many years ago
Old 08-05-2009, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AquilaEagle,Aug 5 2009, 05:59 PM
Go careful Lloyd, this modification business can get expensive!
Horse, stable door.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:53 PM

There's a guy in Pompey who is both good and cheap for head skims

There's an outfit in Fareham who are awesome at this sort of work, but not cheap.

Ultimately, whatever you skim off, you can make up for with a shim gasket.

Showing my ignorance of the innards of the S2000 lump here, but will you have to remove the cam shaft? if so, is it convenient to replace the chain and/or guides whilst you have the engine apart, thereby avoiding future "new tct won't cure my ticking noise" woes?
Old 08-05-2009, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Ajs_s2k,Aug 5 2009, 06:27 PM
The spoon HG will yeild some performance as it ups the compression ratio, do you think thats wise?
It will but not for long - for example every JDM boosted engine (of which they all have higher compression) that i know off has met its death.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:12 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kitkat,Aug 5 2009, 11:58 PM
It will but not for long - for example every JDM boosted engine (of which they all have higher compression) that i know off has met its death.
Yeah, hence me asking if is wise
Old 08-05-2009, 11:24 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Kawasakivtec,Aug 5 2009, 03:40 PM
Right guys, worst scenario has played out, it is the head gasket the sniffer test confirmed it, it must be on number two as my compression test last month showed 205, 180, 205, 210 respectively

bad luck lloyd.

I'd avoid driving it with a failed head gasket. If its overheating that badly (and lets hope its not a cracked block) then its obviously a combustion chamber leak into the cooling system and running the car for any length of time runs the risk of the combustion gases burning a bigger path along the line of the leak through the head or block.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by loftust,Aug 5 2009, 03:25 PM
You will obviously NEED a new HG, but you may want to replace the inlet/exhaust manifold gaskets at the same time, along with the head bolts as they stretch.

You will need to get the head pressure tested and skimmed too, this will ensure you don't have to do the job more than once. I know a couple of people who have skimped on this part to save a bit of cash, but had to do it all over again as the head wasn't perfectly flat...which we know is very important.

Whereabouts in W.Sussex are you? I'd be happy to help, having renewed several head gaskets before (albeit not on the S).
Hi Loftust, I am a couple of miles from Gatwick!

I may well take you up on your offer, currently thinking of removing head one weekend, getting it checked out and then reassembling a few weeks later.

Currently contemplating the science of speed HG as suggested by Kitkat as engine longevity seems most appealing, as well as timing chain replacement at the same time as mine has been bothering me and had two TCT's in 7 months! And possible the valve guides as the head is off.

If anyone else can think of other SENSIBLE things worth changing feel free to share your wisdom and thanks for all your advice.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by kitkat,Aug 5 2009, 05:19 PM
good luck Lloyd - also bear in mind any changes to the engine and its C/R & H/G whether oem or aftermarket will need to be retuned after the work is complete. ;( Bad news that only leaves you 3 weeks to get the parts and work done before Mase arrives( assuming you choose to use him --- the alternative is TDi Thurrock) - maybe and this is food for thought would it be better long term to limit the boost like esem has.

btw are you still on the oem map sensor ?

let me know if i can do anything to help.

dave
Hi Dave, Yes still running the OEM map sensor but was planning on getting the 3bar from Mase, it will not be up and running again before Mase is over, I was also thinking of running it around for a while without the blower to clarify the overheating is resolved so it will wait until a future visit.

I would rather have it of the road for a few months to ensure a long future for it than start down the road of having different issues every couple of months.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Kawasakivtec,Aug 6 2009, 09:21 AM
I was also thinking of running it around for a while without the blower to clarify the overheating is resolved so it will wait until a future visit.

I would rather have it of the road for a few months to ensure a long future for it than start down the road of having different issues every couple of months.
you can do that but it will run like a dog beyond 3.5k as you have high boost and larger injectors you will of course run the risk of fouling the plugs too - you could of course throw back in oem injectors and ecu to make it more driveable while the sc is running belt off.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by kitkat,Aug 5 2009, 10:58 PM

Quick Reply: Cooling/Coolant system issues