UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Constructive answers to road safety and speeding

Old 04-21-2005, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shiskine,Apr 20 2005, 07:24 PM
and Reginald Molehusband (he of the reversing film fame) mold, along with more signs on motorways teaching lane discipline, would be a good idea.
Yeah, I remember him.

I actually wrote to the highways department, oooh it must have been over a year ago, suggesting that they have those programable Motorway Matrix Signs say "Keep left where possible" or sumsuch. I believe someone said they saw it say that once. I've never.

The fact is that whilst we enjoy our cars and, in most cases, are keen on our driving and strive to improve, there is a huge proportion of the population who regard driving as a chore to get them from A to B and who have absolutely no interest in doing it better and more safely. Sadly, I suspect it is this group who are responsible for most accidents.
Inspired.

[QUOTE](when of course our cars will be powered by hydrogen cells, be capable of following magnetic strips sunk in the roads, and be driven using PS2 controllers ...
Old 04-21-2005, 12:38 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Shiskine,Apr 20 2005, 06:24 PM

Bad driving is what causes accidents, and whilst speeding alone can sometimes be defined as "bad driving", it is most commonly only a multiplier in an accident situation.
yeah, but I think it's a pretty massive 'multplier'.

it doesn't need Einstein to prove that if we drove around at 20 mph, road death and serious injury would plummet. isn't that why we impose low speed limits in densely populated areas, even if the road layout is such that you could drive much faster?

and one of the reasons for 'bad driving' is often that people are driving too fast for the conditions.

I don't just mean in situations like fog, but that the observation and technique required to drive safely at high speeds simply isn't present in many drivers - despite their own self-confidence.

Old 04-21-2005, 12:44 AM

One thing which does make a difference I think, are those chevron's in the road on motorways, where it says - keep 2 chevron's apart.

I don't recommend having them everywhere as you'd just ignore them, but perhaps in danger zones, or near entrance slip roads etc.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:47 AM

The faster you are going, the less reaction/observation/stopping time you have when something goes wrong
Old 04-21-2005, 05:13 AM

I agree with a lot that has been said above.

However, I don't think anyone hit on the fact that some driver's just don't care enough and see the car/van etc, as only a form of getting from A to B. As long as the car starts and has enough petrol to get them to where they're going, it doesn't matter that they are leaving a smoke screen behind or the fact that they can barely see out of the windows.

Alot of it is common sense, i.e. half term, kids are going to be hanging around the streets/housing estates etc....

I've done 2 observed rides with a ROSPA Class 1 Police Instructor on my bike, (which I paid for out of my own money) and it's been most beneficial. But only because I was and still am, willing to learn about RoadCraft and try to put it into practice every time I'm in the car or on the bike. And I would still say that I've got alot to learn and am by no means a good driver/rider.

Definitely agree that we should have more info-mercials about road safety, and more Police presence on the roads. Ever notice how motorway drivers suddenly remember to use the 1st lane when there's a patrol car around and no one dares to overtake. I'm one that will overtake (provided the conditions allow and I'm not going over the speed limit by too much), and always look the guys/gals in the police car in the eye and nod an acknowledgement. I've not been stopped for doing so yet, but it's not to say I won't and I wouldn't have an excuse for doing so, either. I merely do this because I choose to.

Overall, I put it down to my willingness to learn and improve that makes the difference. And if more of our road users took the same attitude, I believe the roads would be safer. But we're not the only ones that need educating. Pedestrians/cyclist, they need educating as well.

Anyway, this is only some of my observations.
Be safe out there, and happy motoring.
Alex

It's better to arrive 30 seconds late than 30 seconds early for the next life.