UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Constant CEL battle continues - update - what next? - random cylinder misfire, very intermittent !?!

Old 11-26-2012, 09:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Constant CEL battle continues - update - what next? - random cylinder misfire, very intermittent !?!

Hi all,

Well following on from my other thread, unfortunately even tho I've:

Cleaned the Idle control valve,
Cleaned out the throttle body,
Had valve clearances checked (by Honda),
Ran through some injector / fuel system cleaner,
Whacked the MAP sensor,
New spark plugs,
Tightened the throttle cable,
& reset the ECU.....

& even after driving 260 miles (mostly constant motorway driving) which resulted in no CEL light!!!!

As before tonight on the way home doing my usual traffic stop start routine, at idle my CEL light came on again with no warning or noticeable odd behaviour,

It is frustrating how I can go all those miles, yet when it's either idling at lights or in traffic (at normal idle speed around 1k) it's causing a fault. />

So from my previous ECU scans at Honda on two different instances (£50 for the pleasure each time), 1st time round I had a misfire on all 4 cylinders & then on the 2nd scan a misfire on cylinders 3 & 4.

Obviously at the moment with no scanner myself & being reluctant to try the paper lip method I don't know what the fault is today, so question is:

1) Is anyone midlands able to help me in diagnosing the current code?
Or if not & following on from some of the other threads going on,

2) what's the best reader to buy for my uk '02? />

I guess the next questions are would replacing my coil packs be the next best move & if so any advice as to where to get some from? Assuming as I've had a failure on more than one cylinder over the last month I'd need to replace them all?

Ps - I have enquirer buying some off another member breaking his '02, but figured getting second hand parts from a car of the same age might limit their reliability given mine have just potentially failed?
Old 11-26-2012, 09:23 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by BledS2k
Hi all,

Well following on from my other thread, unfortunately even tho I've:

Cleaned the Idle control valve,
Cleaned out the throttle body,
Had valve clearances checked (by Honda),
Ran through some injector / fuel system cleaner,
Whacked the MAP sensor,
New spark plugs,
Tightened the throttle cable,
& reset the ECU.....

& even after driving 260 miles (mostly constant motorway driving) which resulted in no CEL light!!!!

As before tonight on the way home doing my usual traffic stop start routine, at idle my CEL light came on again with no warning or noticeable odd behaviour,

It is frustrating how I can go all those miles, yet when it's either idling at lights or in traffic (at normal idle speed around 1k) it's causing a fault. />

So from my previous ECU scans at Honda on two different instances (£50 for the pleasure each time), 1st time round I had a misfire on cylinder 1 & then on the 2nd scan a misfire on cylinders 3 & 4.

Obviously at the moment with no scanner myself & being reluctant to try the paper lip method I don't know what the fault is today, so question is:

1) Is anyone midlands able to help me in diagnosing the current code?
Or if not & following on from some of the other threads going on,

2) what's the best reader to buy for my uk '02? />

I guess the next questions are would replacing my coil packs be the next best move & if so any advice as to where to get some from? Assuming as I've had a failure on more than one cylinder over the last month I'd need to replace them all?

Ps - I have enquirer buying some off another member breaking his '02, but figured getting second hand parts from a car of the same age might limit their reliability given mine have just potentially failed?
Did Honda only tell you that you had misfires? Usually there will be additional information regarding the probable cause, such as an injector.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:18 AM

I had x2 ECU scans & resets at Honda and the codes supplied on the second scan was P0301 & P0302.

The didn't give me the code for the 1st scan, but I was told misfire on all 4 cylinders (at least that was the print out says - no codes)
Old 11-26-2012, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Tried new coil packs?
Old 11-26-2012, 10:26 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

I had x2 ECU scans & resets at Honda and the codes supplied on the second scan was P0301 & P0302.

The didn't give me the code for the 1st scan, but I was told misfire on all 4 cylinders (at least that was the print out says - no codes) />/>
Causes are fairly generic. See here:

http://engine-codes.com/p0301_honda.html

My advice would be to do some swapping around of the coil packs to see if you can isolate if one or more is at fault. That won't cost you anything. However, when it comes to replacing them, my recommendation would be oem and not secondhand oem.

More people with more knowledge than me will doubtless comment shortly. I think one of the problems you face is that a lot of different things have been played with, making it difficult to isolate the underlying fault(s).

My money would be on a coil pack or injector playing up.

What's the mileage on the car/age of the car?
Old 11-26-2012, 10:33 AM

Not tried new coil packs - it looks like that's my next move; so i'm looking any do's & dont's when replacing them???

As for swapping them over etc, as said in the OP I don't currently have access to an ECU reader to work out exactly what's going on & I'm reluctant to pay £50 a pop for the privilege; so back to my OP again I'm looking to either find someone who can help with one or buy one?

Car is an 02 on 95k which I've owned since 42k, serviced at Honda inline with schedule & due to my mechanical sympathy never thrashed & only ever used as a daily driver.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:35 AM

How do Honda get away with charging £50 for doing that?

Based on my experience of similar problems, it's going to be coil(s) or injector(s). I wouldn't rely on the cylinder number to be accurate either. If I were you I would buy a second hand coil from somewhere, preferably from a newer car because I think they're all the same, and try it in each position in turn (dead easy to change) and see if the fault comes back. If that doesn't work, buy the other three. And if that doesn't work, you're onto injectors.

It's all a bit hit and miss, unfortunately. I had these sorts of issues on and off for about a year.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am suffering from the same code problems. I ended up buying a simple OBD2 code reader from eBay to help me for £20. I would advice just buying one.

Last weekend, I bought a new set of ignition coil packs because I was getting codes for all cylinders - and..... 100 miles later, CEL light back on again!!

I'm now hoping its injectors, and not head gasket/ compression problems!

Here is a good thread with some helpful advice into solving this somewhat common issue with the S!

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/659930-misfire-thread/
Old 11-26-2012, 12:22 PM

God knows??? Either way I don't enjoy giving them the money to do it, so I'll find another way of diagnosing the codes (buy or borrow)

I'm thinking that buying second hand ones might be the cheapest & I guess as long as I try to ensure they come from as newer car as possible then fingers crossed they'll be ok. Are they all the same no matter what the year of the car???

If I'm honest I'm a bit nervous about replacing just the one with a newer one & leaving the other older ones?

Simonix - which one did you buy & does it work for an 02? Also could even an amateur like me use it ok?

I'll take a look at that thread thanks, just out of curiously where did you get your new coils from etc? PM me if you like.

Thanks all, as always help very much appreciated
Old 11-26-2012, 12:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

God knows??? Either way I don't enjoy giving them the money to do it, so I'll find another way of diagnosing the codes (buy or borrow) />

I'm thinking that buying second hand ones might be the cheapest & I guess as long as I try to ensure they come from as newer car as possible then fingers crossed they'll be ok. Are they all the same no matter what the year of the car???

If I'm honest I'm a bit nervous about replacing just the one with a newer one & leaving the other older ones? />

Simonix - which one did you buy & does it work for an 02? Also could even an amateur like me use it ok?

I'll take a look at that thread thanks, just out of curiously where did you get your new coils from etc? PM me if you like.

Thanks all, as always help very much appreciated

I've got a full set of coils of my Built engine that I am not using. If you like I will post them out to you at the weekend. If they don't cure it send them me back or you could buy them off me, alternatively just use mine to check if yours are faulty and send them back to me.that way it will cost you nothing using mine to check against yours. It's the simplest job in the world to swap coil packs.

Quick Reply: Constant CEL battle continues - update - what next? - random cylinder misfire, very intermittent !?!