UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Considering selling up...

Old 01-27-2010, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova,Jan 27 2010, 03:49 PM
A black one would've made much more sense, as well as looking much cooler
No No No.

Battleship Grey is the way to go.

I just need to get some nice white blocky vinyl’s for mine to put on the wings that say.

HMS 88
Old 01-27-2010, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

>>mindful of the expected crash in values

Why are you expecting a crash in values Phil?
Old 01-27-2010, 08:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not specific to the S, just ANY new car will dive in its first few years.

Insurance hikes and high tax also sure to disuade a few....
Old 01-27-2010, 10:24 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Graves,Jan 27 2010, 03:18 PM
Nah; thrash it & trash it!

Cars are a wasting asset and you should have good fun wasting them.

Gold is a far safer investment, but you can't have much fun with it.
I agree with this. I'm far from flush however the costs of enjoying the car, whatever they are are worth it.

It will drop in value but when you consider the enjoyment you get out of it, who cares what the costs are within reason. Anything will depreciate however as long as you are getting your moneys worth in terms of driving it, who cares what the depreciation is. I really can't understand those people who buy cars with a financial head on, this is an emotive purchase and it should be used and driven at every opportunity.

Ok it's not the most practical car, especially over the winter months, however I'm quite prepared to 'miss daisy' it until the winter is gone. It's all about enjoyment and the hell with practicality, which IS the reason you buy a car like this
Old 01-27-2010, 10:30 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Well, it's not a 'financial head' - an 09's already suffered the worst of its depreciation and is worth hanging onto.

It's invariably a purchase justification head for a £40K Porsche or something, that will repeat the % age loss of value in the first year of its life!

Bit like people who chop in a perfectly good petrol for a diesel equivalent, merely to save a tenner a week in squirt!
Old 01-27-2010, 10:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by unclefester,Jan 27 2010, 08:24 PM
It will drop in value but when you consider the enjoyment you get out of it, who cares what the costs are within reason. Anything will depreciate however as long as you are getting your moneys worth in terms of driving it, who cares what the depreciation is. I really can't understand those people who buy cars with a financial head on, this is an emotive purchase and it should be used and driven at every opportunity.

Ok it's not the most practical car, especially over the winter months, however I'm quite prepared to 'miss daisy' it until the winter is gone. It's all about enjoyment and the hell with practicality, which IS the reason you buy a car like this
My thoughts exactly!!
Old 01-27-2010, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Graves,Jan 27 2010, 07:30 PM
Bit like people who chop in a perfectly good petrol for a diesel equivalent, merely to save a tenner a week in squirt!
Speaking as someone who did that as a kneejerk reaction to my first 'baby vtec', buying the S2000 actually made a lot of sense once I worked out just how much less than I thought so much more driving enjoyment would really cost me.

I might be a very 'young' owner in terms of length of ownership but I'm as hooked as everyone else.

I have yet to miss the diesel.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by unclefester,Jan 27 2010, 08:48 PM
I have yet to miss the diesel.
Coming soon to a roundabout near you.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by m1bjr,Jan 27 2010, 08:09 PM
Coming soon to a roundabout near you.

I live and drive in Milton Keynes .... i see more of these in a day than some of you country bumpkins see in a year

Aside from one diesel moment ( duly caught due to appropriate speed and no 'driving god attempts') I'm still here and not remotely put off.

I suppose the thing I don't understand is the criticisms of the car when the 'faults' that put people off are actually the reason(s) why they traded in the diesel rot box for one in the first place

If i wanted a nice, safe, anaesthetised, capable but ultimately unsatisfying drive, i'd have kept the Leon Tdi I had before this.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not considering a diesel here guys...i'm sticking with the sports car trend, just considering a change of steed....as i said, was jsut an itch i had to scratch and certainly not one i regret...have had some good times in the S and expect many more before it goes, but at the moment, I think moving into a near depreciation proof scenario is certainly anything but a rash / silly decision.

ps- the early 996 i am talking about is in the order of £18k, so if anything will get some cash out of the deal. I am far from flush, but have money tied up in a car that is depreciating, where i can put into something that will cost more to run on a daily basis (£/mile) but will be significantly less in depreciaion. What the S loses in a year, I can spend keeping a 911 on the road....I am talking about covering circa 5k a year hear.

When i bought the S, i needed a reliable car as was working for someone else and doign reasonable mileage so the warrantly / reliability etc was a real pull and like i said am itch that needed scratching....in the last 9 monhts, things have changed significantly as i work from home and the car gets very little use (purely pleasure...which is what it should be), so my circumstances have changed and the thought of owning a 911 is somehting of a dream that seems very achievable at this point in time....

Quick Reply: Considering selling up...