UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Conditional Offer!

Old 12-08-2003, 11:36 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

If you entered on the light becoming red at 15 mph, you should have been 11.73 yards beyond the light after 1.6 seconds.

Any closer to the light and you've dropped a bollock.

You should get the photo & see if that checks out.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Gazzer
Ian. Royal Meridian is my fav hotel too. We always stay there. Totally fab. For next time you have to ask for the Exec Club tower (Big one on the right fm beach). The rooms have a butler and are brand new.
Same building as 'Fusion' yes? Thats where we where we stayed, and very comfortable it was too
Old 12-08-2003, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gazzer-This happened to me 7-8 yrs back-got a NIP through the post, couldn't remember going through red light, was also 1.5 secs or so past red doing 15 or so.

I phoned the coppers and they let me view the evidence-I was caught red handed, just a bit of poor driving really, and hold my hands up.

I am surprised they will not let you see the pic-the coppers were not in the slightest bit miffed I asked to see the photos

I'm surprised at some peoples comments on this website about what they beleive the "right" way to drive

I don't get it-if you go through red or amber-red you are asking for trouble-IMO it's not acceptable at all, in fact bloody stupid and irresponsible-OK the police maybe are a bit overzealous sometimes-but surely their first priority is to stop unnescessary deaths-one of these such is going through red lights-is solving a burglary more important??

I hold my hands up I do it meself sometimes-but curse myself afterwards

my humble 2p
Old 12-08-2003, 01:50 PM
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tonky
Old 12-08-2003, 02:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cops actually turned up! You got better service than I did then. I coudn't agree more about the police attitude to serious crime... it's disgusting. They've categorized what does and what doesn't merit a response, with the result that we're all being conditioned to accept a certain levelof crime as part of our daily lives.

Unfortunately the same bean counters have virtually done away with traffic patrols with many forces having their traffic departments completely disbanded. One result of this has been a very marked change in the attitude of a lot of drivers over the last couple of years, who seem to think they can get away with anything, and it pretty much seems they can around the West Mids anyway. We all know the bulk of speed cameras are there to collect revenue, but people jumping red lights is a good and fair use for cameras... it's a dangerous practise. It's nothing unusual on my commuteto see someone jump a red light and two or three other drivers still go through behind him.
Old 12-08-2003, 03:33 PM

As far as I'm aware (from my own speeding incident with a Gatso) you can write to the Police and they will send you a copy of the offending photograph. It doesn't have to go to court before you can see it, but they don't send them out automatically.
Old 12-09-2003, 12:05 AM

Thanks, will pen a letter to the Met.

G
Old 12-09-2003, 01:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try to attend if you can Gazzer and you just might escape the points. It might only be 3 points but with the number of gatsos about, you only need another 3 points to be half-way to catching the bus.
Old 12-09-2003, 06:09 AM

Very true tonk. To be honest it seems to be easier to just put my hands up, maybe this is the revenue raising plan. I will get the photo to see the circumstances, then decide from there if I should enter a plea.

G
Old 12-09-2003, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by Nick Graves
If you entered on the light becoming red at 15 mph, you should have been 11.73 yards beyond the light after 1.6 seconds.
Have I missed something or have you not misplaced the decimal point? I make it 1.173 yards.
i.e. 1760 yards in a mile x 15 = 26,400 yards travelled in one hour; 1 hour = 60 x 60 = 36,000 seconds. 26,400 yards divided by 36,000 seconds = 0.733 yards travelled in one second, x 1.6 seconds = 1.173 yards travelled. [you may know that I'm a chartered surveyor and such things have a ridiculous habit of preventing me from blissfully swallowing my mouthful of Famous Grouse]

This means that the lights changed to red when Gazzer was only 1.173 yards (3.5 feet or 1.28 metres) in front of the stop line. It sounds infinitessimal but, as Tonky points out, that's what the amber light is for - to give you enough braking distance to stop at the line before the light turns red.

Mind you, I think I might have passed through a red light myself this afternoon. Because of the low sun angle I had the visor down and this obscured the red (uppermost) light on a Pelican (Panda?) crossing when I was was very close to it. It was only afterwards when I realised that the green light had gone out as I passed it that it dawned on me that the lights had probably changed to red by the time I had crossed the stop line. If a ham-sandwich had been right behind me I think I would have heard the melodious tones of its siren (what my boys when young called a 'Nee-Nore'). There, but for the grace of the almighty, I might have been collared too. (collared - a good word that, derived from the feel of the long arm of the law on your shoulder).

Quick Reply: Conditional Offer!