UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Conditional Offer!

Old 12-08-2003, 07:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The offence of traffic lights is bound by one major fact.

That is that both the primary and secondary lights are operating in sinc. The primary light is the one you pass first, and , naturally the secondary light is the one you pass last.

It normally has to be shown that irrespective of the primary light the secondary light has to be at red BEFORE you pass the stopping marking on the road. The thinking being that you could be so close to the primary for it to be out of your line of sight.

In my barrack room opinion it may be worth your while obtaining the evidence, and then maybe attending court to plead mitigation if nothing else. At 15 mph it is obvious that you are not a "let's dash across driver" and it may be that the fine imposed could be relatively low! Any self respecting Magistrate would, in my opinion, be quite lenient with this situation.

On the other hand I may be wrong!!!
Old 12-08-2003, 07:55 AM
GSi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If indeed you were in a line of traffic (say turning left) which was stationary as you joined the queue and passed halfway over the stop line, which subsequently cleared and you then continued without realising the light was on red - would the camera take your pic and hence the low speed and long delay?
Another possibility maybe, but I don't know what particular circumstances the camera is triggered under.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:56 AM

Gazzer, my sympathies are with you.

There is a set of traffic lights on the A24 at Buck Barn crossroads which you always approach at 60-70 (Dual carraigeway)....every days its a case of "will they - won't they" change with your foot hovering between the brake and gas pedal.

If they change, in busy but fast moving traffic it can be very difficult to get it right.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:13 AM
Banned

Great at solving ing victimless crimes the police. If it generates revenue we'll nick you, if there's no money to be made, all gets done.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:06 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Shipley
Old 12-08-2003, 09:16 AM

Originally posted by Subaru2000
Great at solving ing victimless crimes the police. If it generates revenue we'll nick you, if there's no money to be made, all gets done.
BS!

Jumping red lights is a victimless crime..... sometimes. Jumping red lights has reached epidemic proportions IMHO and it's since the demise of regular traffic patrols.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:40 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tonky
Old 12-08-2003, 09:54 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by Tonky
Jumping red lights has reached epidemic proportions IMHO and it's since the demise of regular traffic patrols.
This is certainly the case in London and it seems to have become much worse over the last couple of years. I have had a number of near misses as a result of people jumping red lights (bikes are usually at the front of the queue and get away quickly) mostly involving cyclists, who completely ignore red lights and taxi drivers as they know the lights that have cameras

I had to laugh a few months back when a girl in a yellow VW Beetle clearly jumped a red light when turning right onto the A41. The thing was that there was also 2 motorcycle cops at the front of the queue and they stopped her half a mile along the road

I am sure the conversation would have started something like " are you ing stupid ....."

Old 12-08-2003, 10:50 AM

Ian. Royal Meridian is my fav hotel too. We always stay there. Totally fab. For next time you have to ask for the Exec Club tower (Big one on the right fm beach). The rooms have a butler and are brand new. The others are in need of freshening up.

Thanks guys for the words, it is a pain but I will not contest as I might look a right tit if the actual photo has me grinning with 'up yours' in the shot!!!!

As for the A24, I cross those lights every week. The speed limit is 50mph, incidently. I went through last night dreading them changing which they of course did just as I crossed the line. I will have to wait 14 days to see if this constituted a 'contavene', what can you do!!!!!!
Old 12-08-2003, 11:15 AM

Originally posted by Gazzer
As for the A24, I cross those lights every week. The speed limit is 50mph, incidently. I went through last night dreading them changing which they of course did just as I crossed the line. I will have to wait 14 days to see if this constituted a 'contavene', what can you do!!!!!!
At the risk of sounding patronising, if you work on the basis that amber is stop, that is the best policy - I've never been in a situation where that wouldn't have prevented me running a red light

Quick Reply: Conditional Offer!