UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Conditional Offer!

Old 12-08-2003, 02:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conditional Offer!

Get this, was done for 'alledgedly'running a red a few weeks back. Anyway, I was in the area when the 'offence' took place, so it had to be me, although I have no recollection of it ever occurring, as I don't do that sort of thing.

Anyhow the conditional offer has come through. I don't know exactly what it means but from what I can see, I alledgedly went through this red light at 15mph 1.6 secs after the lights went to red. WTF!!!

Is this a marginal infringement. I mean I wasn't doing Mach 3 to beat the light, I'm wondering if I was in traffic poodling along in a string of cars and concentrating on the vehicle in front, when the lights changed?

They won't show me the picture unless I contest and go to court. Again WTF!!!

G
Old 12-08-2003, 03:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well... amber means stop unless unsafe to do so. Red means stop.... period, and it's an absolute offence regardless of how long after the red you went through.

Needs an NIP within 14 days.

Conditional offer I assume means you've been offered some sort of fixed penalty settlement? If you contest the matter rather than pay it, then the court wont be bound by the 'offer'.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:02 AM

Thank you for the words of encouragement!
Old 12-08-2003, 04:08 AM

Encouragement? Sounds like you don't need any.

Seriously.... you asked if it was a marginal offence, and the answer is jumping a red light is jumping a red light is jumping a red light. Degrees of jumping don't come into it!
Old 12-08-2003, 04:26 AM

I know of at least one junction whereby if there is heavy traffic you can end up going past the light and therefore not actually be in a position to see if it changes.....you end up guessing or relying on the person behind to flash you when it goes green again...........
Old 12-08-2003, 04:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sadly I agree with Cedric here........to be through the red light 1.6 seconds after it turned red is certainly enough to prosecute. Indeed I would imaging 1.6 seconds, even at 15mph is enough to get you well and truly into the line of fire of crossing traffic.

I must sympathise though - I drive through 5 sets of lights to and from work each day, and I cant remember a damn thing about them on arriving at work/home......I just hope that they pop into short term memory long enough for me do do what I am told!
Old 12-08-2003, 04:42 AM

Tonky, just teasing.

What I have a bone about is the benefit of doubt. If there was a cop there, would he have you for it. Probably a word of warning me thinks. Instead, I am not allowed to see the evidence unless I contest. But I don't wish to contest, if it looks like I have blatantly run the red, intentional or otherwise. Like you have pointed out I will 'give up' the fixed penalty in lieu of a bigger harsher fine in court.

I will have to drive like an old fart from now on, slam on my brakes at the mere hint of a set of lights changing and hope the guy behind misses me when he locks up. Is that safer than marginally infringing a changing red??

Vee have vays, you know, ja!
Old 12-08-2003, 05:02 AM

I'm not having a go Gaz, and I'm sorry if you thought I was, it's just that it is an absolute offence with no defences that I'm aware of. It does need an NIP within 14 days though!
Old 12-08-2003, 05:17 AM

No worries Tonk!

Me just peed off getting my first points. If my insurance wasn't enough already.

Ian, hope DXB was top fun for you?
Old 12-08-2003, 05:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Gazzer

Ian, hope DXB was top fun for you?
Indeed so........brilliant place despite the heavy damage my bank account suffered in the gold souk.

The development going on there is just mind boggling....The Palm ......Burj Dubai

We stayed in the Royal Meridian and whilst mot the most stunning looking hotel in the place it is truly superb - the staff are wonderful, probably the best hotel I have ever stayed in.

(Oh, and Sue and I where upgraded on the way out )

Quick Reply: Conditional Offer!