UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Condensation

Old 10-28-2004, 01:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Condensation

I've been recently getting bad condensation in the morning on the inside of the front and rear screens.
It's really annoying as it takes flippin' ages to clear - the thing is that its never happened before, I don't use the air con while driving and when I need the heat I just use the normal heater - but over the past few days I've suffered badly !!!
What is doing this ????
Old 10-28-2004, 02:11 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

you might have a leak that is letting water into the car, and hence the excessive amounts of condensation.

incidentily, my car is parked outside. at the moment there is a lot of dew on the rear window in the mornings that prevents me from seeing out of the pastic rear window. i have to wipe it to be able to reverse out and am worried about scratching the rear window over time. does anyone have any suggestions on a way to avoid it?
Old 10-28-2004, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by SilverShark,Oct 28 2004, 10:58 AM
I've been recently getting bad condensation in the morning on the inside of the front and rear screens.
It's really annoying as it takes flippin' ages to clear - the thing is that its never happened before, I don't use the air con while driving and when I need the heat I just use the normal heater - but over the past few days I've suffered badly !!!
What is doing this ????
Welcome to winter . Seriously, I imagine that this is just a combination of damp weather and cold nights.

Air Con will clear condensation quicker . When you say you don't use air con whilst driving, when do you use it? It's a good idea to run it regularly.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this on an old car a small leak made the carpets damp. Heat whilst driving the car drove the water in to the air where it then condended on the cold windows

As lower says check for leaks, sort them out, then sit a fan heater in the car for an hour or so to dry it out!

Lower - try a cup of luke warm water over the screen! It will rinse the dew away and soften the plastic so you can drop the hood with out it cracking!

U up for a Leicester meet?

Worked for me!
Old 10-28-2004, 02:50 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

good thinking. why didn't i think of that!

i am up for a meet. its a while since the last one.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Roadkill,Oct 28 2004, 10:16 AM
Air Con will clear condensation quicker . When you say you don't use air con whilst driving, when do you use it? It's a good idea to run it regularly.
What I mean is that I only use the air-con during the summer if it's hot - I don't use it when I need the heat on say during the winter.

I find that when using the air-con there is a power loss - this has been discussed in depth here before !

The thing is, I remember using the air con when I had the heat on during winter and that casued thick misting on the inside of the windscreen when you returned to the car after leaving it for a while i.e. the next day - so thats why I don't use the air-con in conjunction with the heating.
Old 10-28-2004, 03:20 AM

I find the condensation will not clear unless I use the A/C ??

Used to use Rain-X in a black bottle, this is a mist inhibiter to stop the inside fogging up, worked very well on the Prelude, just looking for some as only a few Hellfords supplied it !!
Old 10-28-2004, 03:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lower,Oct 28 2004, 10:50 AM
i am up for a meet. its a while since the last one.
I will look at the meets and get a new thread started with some dates on it!
Old 10-28-2004, 03:34 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Could be damp mats as mentioned.

Could be a water leak - shouldn't be difficult to identify as a cause if the floors are wet. Tracing it may be a different matter.

I know you say you don't use the aircon, but you should. Only for a short period each week, just to keep the system in good working order.

It will clear condensation much quicker as well.

Check you don't have the recirculation button switched on. The button above the a/c button. This will REALLY cause the car to steam up.

Old 10-28-2004, 05:47 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I mainly used the AC during winter..you have the roof down in the summer for natures AC (at speed anyway). It works very effectively with the heaters to direct hot dry air to screen / windows. & when its dry (the air) you can then recirculate without misting then.

Quick Reply: Condensation