UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.
View Poll Results: What tyres are you running
Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric's
7.21%
Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3
3.60%
Bridgestone Potenza RE050 MZ
50.45%
Michelin Pilot sport PS2
0%
Michelin Pilot sport PS3
0.45%
Toyo Proxies T1R
10.36%
Falken FK452
9.01%
Uniroyal Rainsport 2
0.90%
Yokohama's
4.05%
Something else
13.96%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Comprehensive UK tyre guide for the S2K

Old 09-26-2010, 03:08 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Maybe not everyone else, Dave

But we are all different, but my view is that they aren't as good in the wet and dry as other options, but something like a Toyo doens't please everyone as some feel they are squishy.

I'd like to try these Yoko's which Dixon is selling atm for a road tyre. I like to experiment
Old 09-26-2010, 06:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the dixon yokos' would be on my list, they seem to be a good tyre.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:23 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by MB,Sep 26 2010, 12:08 PM
But we are all different, but my view is that they aren't as good in the wet and dry as other options, but something like a Toyo doens't please everyone as some feel they are squishy.
I found this on the previous car with both the T1-R and the GSD3 - sidewalls just didn't inspire confidence on turn in. It wasn't that there was less grip, it just felt like there was going to be.

The Toyos disappeared in about 3500 miles and the GSD3 exhibited some weird wear characteristics, they seemed to turn 50p shaped as they wore out which gave rise to awful rumbling at motorway speeds.

I have some old S02 here and despite deflating them completely, they still feel like they're inflated - clearly a very stiff solid tyre despite having almost no tread remaining.

I think it also depends on how you like to corner, I suspect I'm a little too aggressive which means a softer side wall tyre is immediately felt whereas someone who is a lot smoother / more progressive would probably not notice the difference. How much that translates into actual cornering speeds / levels of grip is probably not something you'd ever find out on the public road.

I'd rather have a tyre that is communicative and that inspires confidence on the road as that's where all my miles are done even if it might lack the ultimate grip that a different tyre might have.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:34 AM

i found the same with the toyos, it was the softness of the sidewalls i didn't like, and one of my deciding factors on tyres. there were a couple i ruled out because i knew the walls were soft.

i've had the GSD3's on a previous car and din't like them, but my S came with them fitted and they been really good. so looking forward to what a firmer side walled tyre will do to the S
Old 09-26-2010, 08:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by unclefester,Sep 26 2010, 02:23 PM
I have some old S02 here and despite deflating them completely, they still feel like they're inflated - clearly a very stiff solid tyre despite having almost no tread remaining.
I had a puncture that put a 1" gash in the tyre, and I still managed to limp a couple of miles at 40mph before changing it. (I was on the A34 at night and there was no way I was stopping there). It almost felt better like that than with the space saver on.

I think it also depends on how you like to corner, I suspect I'm a little too aggressive which means a softer side wall tyre is immediately felt whereas someone who is a lot smoother / more progressive would probably not notice the difference.
I think you have that back to front. The smoother driver can feel what's going on with the tyre better; I like to turn the wheel gradually and feel the grip build up. But if you have harder sidewalls the grip falls off a cliff quicker, which means the turn up at the corner and yank the wheel type probably thinks they're not as good because he goes instantly past the point where they work.

A softer sidewalled tyre has a much larger range of mushiness, so being agressive is less bad because you still end up in the zone with some grip. Which means you don't crash, but neither do you get the same amount of communication from the tyre and sharp handling than you would with the harder tyre, and ultimately with smaller slip angles the smooth driver with the harder sidewalled tyres will get round the corner faster.

When I had RS2s, I found it very frustrating how I'd start turning for the corner and nothing would happen. I'd need to start turning harder and start turning sooner to get round the corner, and the same would happen on the exit. It was kind of like driving a hovercraft - you had to think several seconds ahead. A less smooth driver might not have noticed the difference.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:16 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Thanks for explaining that. I'd be the first to admit I don't know much about 'fast' driving but I know the Falkens feel nicer in general day to day use than either the Toyo or the Goodyear ever did.

Admittedly I went for the Falkens on this car because I liked them on my previous car, a heavy diesel front wheel drive car doesn't like soft sidewalled tyres - it eats them around Milton Keynes. I found the Falkens had almost as much grip but lasted almost twice as long.

I know i don't corner anywhere near as quickly as Simon.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:49 PM

TYRES FITTED FRONT & REAR: Kumho Ecstas
RIMS: OEM 16"

The car has never handled so good!

Tryed Bridgestones, Toyos, Hankooks, Pirellis, but the Kumhos are top!!!
Old 09-27-2010, 11:26 PM

What sizes are you running Jon?
Old 09-27-2010, 11:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

TYRES: Kuhmo Ecsta KU31
WHEELS: OEM 17"

Fitted them to the front just before going to the IOM for MM6.
Great tyre, will be fitting them to the rear very shortly.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TYRES FITTED: Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetrics
WHEEL SIZE: OEM 17
TYRE SIZES: 245/40 17 & 215/45 17

felt the difference in stiffness at first but these grip like no others and work very well in all weathers. Only wish they did the right size for my new wheels.

TYRES FITTED: Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3
WHEEL SIZE: Rays Volk CE28N
TYRE SIZES: 255/40 17 & 215/45 17

Rear end feels a bit loose on the motorway when compared with the Assyms. good but not as good as the assym

Quick Reply: Comprehensive UK tyre guide for the S2K