UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.
View Poll Results: What tyres are you running
Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric's
7.21%
Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3
3.60%
Bridgestone Potenza RE050 MZ
50.45%
Michelin Pilot sport PS2
0%
Michelin Pilot sport PS3
0.45%
Toyo Proxies T1R
10.36%
Falken FK452
9.01%
Uniroyal Rainsport 2
0.90%
Yokohama's
4.05%
Something else
13.96%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Comprehensive UK tyre guide for the S2K

Old 09-14-2010, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TYRES FITTED: Bridgestone Potenza RE050 MZ
WHEEL SIZE: OEM 17"
TYRE SIZES: fr 215/45 rr 245/40

I live in Scotland, and my tires are near the end of their lives, and the rumour is that there is freak snowy whether from Siberia due next week already....I'm wondering if there is on balance a better than default tire. Is the Continental Contisportcontact 3 a better option for Scotland? or maybe even the Uniroyal Rainsport 2?

Basically I'm looking to bias towards wet, a bit.

cheers
S
Old 09-14-2010, 01:29 PM

those are 2 options i'm contemplating.

my short list is:

contisport contact 3
bridgestone RE050
good year asymmetric F1
rainsport 2
falken 452

according to reviews the good year is meant to be the wet weather daddy, but the contis are close behind.

what i find most confusing is what ever the magazines and big auto people say and rate as a top tyre, real people don't always rate it. but the ones that are rated as ok, normal people seem to love.

trying to work out should i follow what the apparent pro's say, or go with what the everyday joe says. this is going on all the info from http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/
Old 09-14-2010, 10:47 PM

Tyres are very specific to a car. For instance the Hankook V12 got slated in Evo on the MX5, but is absolutely fine on my ATR
Old 09-15-2010, 01:03 AM

so being that the re050's are the only purpose made tyre for the S2k, i'm guessing it is the best tyre for the car.

how have people found them in the cold and wet, the old 040's were difficult to get heat into them in the cold and wet hence the more skittish behaviour.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:43 PM

wheels were bought today and decided to give the falken 452's a shot. at the price they were if they aren't brilliant it won't be too much of a kick in the teeth. lots are using them already and all seem happy. so here goes. will feed back on here after 3000 miles

TYRES FITTED: Falken 452's
WHEEL SIZE: 18"
TYRE SIZES: fr 225/40 rr 255/35
Old 09-26-2010, 12:11 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

TYRES FITTED: Yokohama A048
WHEEL SIZE: Rays CE28N 17"
TYRE SIZES: fr 215/45 rr 245/40

I have tried several sets of RE050 on a 17" wheel and the S02 on the older 16" wheel, and detest them both. I know a lot of people swear by them, but i'd suggest trying something more up to date. I can maybe see how they come into use on track, but try getting them warm on a road! I could never get mine hot, even driving like a **** Wet grip isn't up to much compared to other tyres. I'm sure they must do a more modern version with a bit softer compound?

Toyo is actually one of my favorite well priced tyres, especially in the wet. They just need 36 psi in them and they work fine. It's a marmite tyre on here but I think wet or dry it's a far better performing tyre than the RE050.

Yokohama A048 isn't the widowmaker people make them out to be in the wet. I was driving flat out in 2nd and 3rd in the turbo car, straight line in the wet and they were fine. I've also some large standing water puddles in the Exige with no bother. They also seem to last longer and outgrip an R888. Downside is they are a soft compound and therefore do get munched, and they are bloody expensive. But I didn't buy this car to put shit tyres on it.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:53 AM

the A048 is a really nice tyre, i like the yoko's but they jusy out of my budget at the moment. maybe next set of tyres round.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:59 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I only use them as mine is really a track car, I woulnd't buy them for road use as there are more cost effective and better all weather tyres out there.

But if the car is a weekend toy or track car then accept no substitute!
Old 09-26-2010, 02:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MB,Sep 26 2010, 08:11 AM
I have tried several sets of RE050 on a 17" wheel and the S02 on the older 16" wheel, and detest them both. I know a lot of people swear by them, but i'd suggest trying something more up to date. I can maybe see how they come into use on track, but try getting them warm on a road! I could never get mine hot, even driving like a **** Wet grip isn't up to much compared to other tyres.
I think you have a totally different idea and expectation of feel than everybody else. Mine feel too cold at the first roundabout, then after that they're okay. I think the RE050MZs are excellent road tyres, and it's only on track days where I feel I could do with something better as they do get a bit too hot and slide a bit too much.

The car didn't feel very good on black ice, but that's no suprise. In the wet they're extremely good; much better than S02s, and I find it hard to believe anybody has a problem.

But each to their own.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:02 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Dembo,Sep 26 2010, 11:49 AM
I think you have a totally different idea and expectation of feel than everybody else. Mine feel too cold at the first roundabout, then after that they're okay. I think the RE050MZs are excellent road tyres, and it's only on track days where I feel I could do with something better as they do get a bit too hot and slide a bit too much.

The car didn't feel very good on black ice, but that's no suprise. In the wet they're extremely good; much better than S02s, and I find it hard to believe anybody has a problem.

But each to their own.

The RE050as, even on poxy 16s, provide excellent grip, traction and braking in both wet and dry, as well as the cold (subject to black ice).

Quick Reply: Comprehensive UK tyre guide for the S2K