UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.
View Poll Results: What tyres are you running
Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric's
7.21%
Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3
3.60%
Bridgestone Potenza RE050 MZ
50.45%
Michelin Pilot sport PS2
0%
Michelin Pilot sport PS3
0.45%
Toyo Proxies T1R
10.36%
Falken FK452
9.01%
Uniroyal Rainsport 2
0.90%
Yokohama's
4.05%
Something else
13.96%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Comprehensive UK tyre guide for the S2K

Old 09-12-2010, 10:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by r8byb,Sep 12 2010, 07:24 PM
alot of people will stick to Bridgestone
There's a good reason for that

FWIW, I think the GSD3s I had were slightly better than the RE050As, but cannot find them any more, and the Asymmetrics aren't available in the right sizes for 16"
Old 09-12-2010, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TYRES FITTED: Potenza RE050
WHEEL SIZE: OEM 17
TYRE SIZES: 245/40 17 & 215/45 17
Old 09-12-2010, 11:00 AM

i tought it good to start the debate, but have all the info in one place. i've been on several forums and each has its recommended tyre or cult following tyre.

from what i've seen the toyo and the falken are a popular choice for many as a mid range tyre. the michelin pilot sports are highly recommended as one of the best tyres for the 350z closely followed by the bridgestones 050.

vredestein ultra sessantas had a good following on several clubs, rated above the falken and the toyo. but it seems to depend on the car. different tyres seem to work differently for different cars.

i use this website alot http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk but one of the things i find is that very few s2000's have actually registered what they use. its mostly german cars etc. they do most of the magazine tyre reviews on there as well, and it was because of those that i was looking at the contisport contact 3's but no one runs them on here. and only BMW, audi and merc drives rate them.

i've toyed with the idea of rainsport 2's as the website rates them well and so do a few on here.

i've had the sessantas before, and they were good, but i'm looking for a bit more from my tyres; hence why i'm now browsing the premium brands.

i want a stiff side wall, good wet handling and good dry handling suitable for track days and general use. and i use the car all year round, so i don't want a compound that freezes in the winter and becomes useless. don't want for much do I lol
Old 09-12-2010, 11:00 AM

What is the problem with the Michelins? I ran them on my old Renaultsport 182 and the EP3 and they were amazing - never found better, yet they don't seem to be liked by the general S2K community.

I am considering fitting them when these Bridgestones go so am wondering if I'm missing something.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by exalto,Sep 12 2010, 08:00 PM
What is the problem with the Michelins? I ran them on my old Renaultsport 182 and the EP3 and they were amazing - never found better, yet they don't seem to be liked by the general S2K community.
They are completely different cars to the S

The S does seem to be in a niche for lots of things, not just tyres.

Everyone uses/drives the car differently too. Whilst a certain tyre will be good in one area, longevity for example, will be good for someone who doesn't want to renew them often, but they may be disliked by someone who uses the S quite 'spiritedly' because of their grip credentials.

I hope that makes sense
Old 09-12-2010, 11:25 AM

It does Loftust, thanks.

I would consider myself to be an aggresive driver who, being new to RWD, is on a BIG learning curve. I don't mind shelling out for rubber as long as it gives me the grip and reassurance I need to allow for inexperience.
I suppose the other solution is buy hedge hunters and really accelerate the learning curve.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:45 AM

at least 5 people are running something not on the list, come on guys share with the rest of us what shoes you got on. and what you think of them.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by exalto,Sep 12 2010, 08:25 PM
It does Loftust, thanks.

I would consider myself to be an aggresive driver who, being new to RWD, is on a BIG learning curve. I don't mind shelling out for rubber as long as it gives me the grip and reassurance I need to allow for inexperience.
I suppose the other solution is buy hedge hunters and really accelerate the learning curve.
As Ian said I am very happy with the Yoko AD08's but I need to have more time with them before .... actually no I don't ... they are just sublime, incredible grip, great stance/poise, great in the wet and unbelievable in the dry, very expensive is the only thing I can knock them on right now ... I just can't stop driving the thing ... it's great!

For reference, I have driven on REO50MZ's TOYO T1R's and Falken 452's ... the toyo's are sh1t ... plates of jelly ... BS and Falken are good tyres for the S, but I think its pretty obvious where my vote will go ... if I can stop driving long enough to have time to vote that is

Just read lofty's view, and this is the area I can't yet comment, longevity ... I don't expect they will do more than 4-6 thousand miles on the rear, but I live in hope .. manufacturer claims 18-20k heh heh oh how I would laugh if that were the case
Old 09-12-2010, 11:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Avon ZZ3
18" @ 10.5 ET20
225/45
Old 09-12-2010, 11:54 AM

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

TYRES FITTED: Potenza RE050
WHEEL SIZE: OEM 17
TYRE SIZES: standard OEM size

Quick Reply: Comprehensive UK tyre guide for the S2K