UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.
View Poll Results: What tyres are you running
Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric's
7.21%
Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3
3.60%
Bridgestone Potenza RE050 MZ
50.45%
Michelin Pilot sport PS2
0%
Michelin Pilot sport PS3
0.45%
Toyo Proxies T1R
10.36%
Falken FK452
9.01%
Uniroyal Rainsport 2
0.90%
Yokohama's
4.05%
Something else
13.96%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Comprehensive UK tyre guide for the S2K

Old 05-15-2011, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S2K-Phil
TYRES FITTED: front n back Bridgestone RE050 MZs (currently, but get low and need changing)
WHEEL SIZE: 17inch
TYRE SIZES: OEM sizes

Has anybody found a supply of 17" front Bridgestone OEM MZs? I have searched all the usual online places and all seem to be out of stock, even Camskill.

Would I notice any difference at the front if I used a generic Bridgestone RE050?

Hi Phil

I would like to know the same..... I have an email from Bridgestone UK tech who assured me that using the non-specific compound RE050 would cause no difference in handling characteristics, but I don't know if anyone has tried it?? The MZ rears are easy to get hold of, just not the fronts.

Who have you called (just to save me making the same phone call?)
Old 05-15-2011, 08:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to know the same..... I have an email from Bridgestone UK tech who assured me that using the non-specific compound RE050 would cause no difference in handling characteristics, but I don't know if anyone has tried it?? The MZ rears are easy to get hold of, just not the fronts.

Who have you called (just to save me making the same phone call?)
[/quote]
------------------------
Haven't called, just checked them all out on the internet. Have just emailed Camskill though, as they appear to have a more comprehensive selection compared with other retailers. I imagine if they don't know when/if they will be getting them, I will be going down the non MZ route.

I have been quite happy with how the MZs have performed though I would try alternatives. However, I am not sure I want to gamble with almost 600 squid (need all 4) only to find I don't like the feel of a recommended alternative. It seems from reading all the tyre threads on this forum, that when it comes to rubber, one man's meet is another man's poison.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by Si2k
Just had the new Bridgestone S001s put on the back (Replacements for the RE050A). Apparently they are quieter and have lower rolling resistance than the RE050A

only done 200miles so far so not pushed them but they feel good. Tyre tread design links the tread blocks on the outside edge which should help with stability.

Hi mate,

Where did you get these from and are they available in 16" stock sizes? I am trying to hunt down some rears for my 16" rims at the moment and can't find any RE050A anywhere, event, camskill and Blackcircles are out of stock but they are not showing the new S001 which looks a much better tyre.

I am thinking Yoko AD08 if I can't get the S001s.

Many thanks,

Graham

EDIT:- Just found a tyre size guide, looks like in stock 16" sizes they only do 215/50/16 as the maximum width, unless I am mistaken?
Old 05-25-2011, 02:49 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

S001 not available in 16" sizes http://www.bridgestone.co.uk/bfe/lin...tContext@d0cf6

Yoko AD08 only V rated in 16" sizes (technically you need a W rated tyre, whether you care or not is up to you!)
Old 05-25-2011, 02:53 AM

Isn't V rating like 150mph? Can the S even do that?

Thanks lovegroova!
Old 05-25-2011, 02:59 AM

Actually the Goodyear GSD3 look alright as well, can't find the AD08 anywhere either, bloody hell!
Old 05-25-2011, 03:00 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

V rating is 149mph, max speed of an S2000 is 150mph.

It is a bit more complicated than that of course, but there may be insurance implications, so check with them first. If they're happy then go for it

Wiki says:
In the European community, tires that are not fit for a car's or motorcycle's particular maximum speed are illegal to mount. The sole exception are M+S tires, where a warning sticker stating the allowed maximum speed must be placed within clear sight of the driver inside the vehicle. Some manufacturers will install a speed governor if a vehicle is ordered with tires rated below the vehicle's maximum speed.If a tire is replaced with a lower speed rating than originally specified by the vehicle manufacturer, then this may render the vehicle insurance invalid.

http://en.wikipedia....de#Speed_rating

Alternatively, these are cheaper than new tyres... https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/868...s-16-inch-oem/
Old 05-25-2011, 03:08 AM

Oh right ok...food for thought!

Thanks for the link, I will see where she is and go from there.

Thank you for your help,

Graham
Old 05-28-2011, 06:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have just had a new set of Potenza MZs fitted, front and back, by Event. Total cost £545.74

thanks for the heads-up tjhmortimer

Old 05-28-2011, 08:03 AM
MIP

Eagle F1 Assymetric 2's, 215/45/17, 245/40/17

Fantastic grip after minimal wear in time. As confidence inspiring as the original Assymetrics, but now quieter with a much lower rolling resistance. I can only echo what people here are saying about them, and what the reviews are saying online. A great improvment on the Assymetric 1's, which in themselves I found much better than the RE050, particularly in the wet.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Go...ymmetric-2.htm

They come out consistantly better than the S001 and the sport contact 5:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...mmer-Tyres.htm
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...-Tyre-Test.htm

On a side note, when I was looking for tyres I couldn't see the S001 in the correct S2000 size for the 17" fronts, just just rear only, so I just wouldn't buy these.

Quick Reply: Comprehensive UK tyre guide for the S2K