UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Common "weak" VTEC causes

Old 01-09-2015, 03:28 AM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

I got a Thruxton skid pan day for Xmas, so I'll be doing that around March, I reckon. I'll book it once my car is back together again.

Might be able to combine two sessions with two S2000s if you fancied it? A couple of mates are coming along to have a nose, and we will probably end up karting before/afterwards too. Nice kart track at Thruxton. ☺
Old 01-09-2015, 03:34 AM

PS, I've done a few Motorsport Events airfield days and they're very well run, with lots of space and good tuition. At some tracks they have a Car Control area and offer reasonably priced tuition on that, or the track too.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrispayze
I got a Thruxton skid pan day for Xmas, so I'll be doing that around March, I reckon. I'll book it once my car is back together again.

Might be able to combine two sessions with two S2000s if you fancied it? A couple of mates are coming along to have a nose, and we will probably end up karting before/afterwards too. Nice kart track at Thruxton. ☺
I'd be up for that, my understanding is that it's £99 for an hour on the pan right? When you say combine the session what do you mean exactly?
Old 01-09-2015, 04:21 AM

Yeh that's about right. Just wondered if we could have 2hrs with both of us on, taking in turns. Might end up as better value, not sure.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by chrispayze
Yeh that's about right. Just wondered if we could have 2hrs with both of us on, taking in turns. Might end up as better value, not sure.
Well I think it's one hour per car so 2 hours for 2 cars probably won't make much difference really we will both just be waiting round for an hour in total
Old 01-09-2015, 05:40 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by japcrap
Yeah I think it's something I'll get the hang of with more practice, I do enough miles to get some in! My car is at TGM on the 17th and that's the top of the work list. I'm praying that nothing is seized but there is no evidence of the geometry being done in the history which is a bit of a concern, then again i'm happy to dip in my pocket to get it sorted.
Might see you there as dropping my car off for suspension bushes on 17th
Old 01-09-2015, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by CynicG
Yeah I think it's something I'll get the hang of with more practice, I do enough miles to get some in! My car is at TGM on the 17th and that's the top of the work list. I'm praying that nothing is seized but there is no evidence of the geometry being done in the history which is a bit of a concern, then again i'm happy to dip in my pocket to get it sorted.
Might see you there as dropping my car off for suspension bushes on 17th
I'll be surprised if they have any time to do them with the amount of stuff I'm having done
Old 01-09-2015, 06:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've found 0-60, power figures etc is all a bit pointless.

I've had my 99 S2000 about a year, and before that I had an 06 EP3 and before that an '89 JDM Mk CRX SiR (the hatch one).

Out of the three, my '89 CRX with 160k miles on it gets down the qtr mile quicker than both my civic and my S2000. All are essentially stock except for exhaust mods too.

In fact my S2000 was the slowest of the lot.

My approx best times at Santa Pod from memory are below:
CRX - 14:6
Ep3 - 15:0
S2000 - 15:3

I put this down to a number of factors:
1. The CRX had a LSD, a remap and launch control
2. The Ep3 could not launch above 3.5k rpm without spinning the wheels on the spot (even with bridgestone pots)
3. I only ran the s2000 4 times, the rear tyres were 'off'/old and I couldn't get it off the line effectively (I expect to be in the 14s when I go back in April)
4. My personal skill levels with each (i.e. quite low)

I cases where I actually ran against my old CRX (owned by a mate)in both my EP3 and then my S2000, the CRX would pull a length or two off the line but would always be reigned in approaching the finish.

In terms of crossover feel, the B16 in my old CRX was the most savage of the lot and properly addictive. It was way easier to run around in vtec and keep it on-cam without having to change at the red in 0.2ms. In fact I love my S2000 for so many reasons but in honesty I’ve never had a better engine than my JDM B16a – and at 160k miles it still shrugs off relentless track days.
The crossover on the EP3's K20 was faked, a slight hesitation was engineerined into the map to create the illusion of a cross-over similar to that of the B-series - that's why with k-pro it disappears.

Of course drag racing road cars is pointless, in fact even discussing my times is too. I reckon I could never hussle my S2000 around twisty roads (especially in the wet) as fast as my old 900kg 170bhp CRX, but when conditions are right (and even when they're not) I get more reward and smiles from the S2000 and on a track I reckon it would be capable of way more (which I will be testing this year).

If you're crossover is underwhelming - buy my old exhaust in the for sale section. You will def hear a cross-over with it on.....
Old 01-11-2015, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by SiR Shizzle
If you're crossover is underwhelming - buy my old exhaust in the for sale section. You will def hear a cross-over with it on.....
Can't find the ad, why are you selling it? How much and how loud is it?
Old 01-12-2015, 12:21 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Can't find the ad, why are you selling it? How much and how loud is it?
First page in the For Sale and Wanted Forum, about half way down: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/110...ck-with-video/

Quick Reply: Common "weak" VTEC causes