UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Common "weak" VTEC causes

Old 01-09-2015, 12:46 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

At the risk of sounding like LG, why not book in for a driving day with someone like RideDrive? It might highlight better ways to drive, as well as getting the most out of your RWD car.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:57 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by japcrap
Originally Posted by ade73' timestamp='1420751950' post='23461259
[quote name='japcrap' timestamp='1420708179' post='23460444']
Morning,

As above, what are common causes for the vtec not being as dramatic, strong and powerful as it should be?

I've had a search and couldn't find anything as usual, cheers.

Buying a later gay version
To be honest I much prefer the looks of the "later gay" version, the older cars look a bit dated IMO.
[/quote]

I think Ade is trying to compensate for the fact he couldn't afford a good looking newer car and had to buy an old one.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:44 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova' timestamp='1420744433' post='23461111
Better still, book a course with these guys: http://www.carlimits.com/ where you can slide the car around on the safety of an airfield.
I know about the principles and reading them is all very well, but like you have suggested I don't think the road is the best place to be experimenting really, particularly because of the risk of hitting things or other road users. I have looked at the exact place you have recommended, I've also looked at doing a skid pan session at thruxton to get familiar with the car in an oversteer situation. I think I'd prefer the Andy Walsh day as I've heard a lot of good feedback about his tuition, but I'd really like to go there on a soaking wet day as that's where I'd like to improve my confidence rather than in the dry.
It's a great idea, wet or dry and very good fun. You are quite right about not experimenting on the road, there is far too much stuff/people to hit

There's no need to be afraid of track days either, especially those run on airfields where there aren't any barriers. These guys run excellent days and have good instructors on hand: http://motorsport-events.com/

Here's a video taken on a day at Abingdon by PaulF from his car. I am in the black car - you can see how much room there is. It also shows the benefits of improving the driver/practise, Paul's car makes 5bhp more than mine.

Paul has also uploaded some videos of Car Limits days, so have a look through and you'll get a better idea of what's involved.

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siF8xf-MefU[/MEDIA]

Old 01-09-2015, 02:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A part of me hopes that having had the car for around 5 months then it will be like having a new car again, with putting the top down adding a whole new dimension to the experience.

You will be rewarded on March, exactly as you said it. NEW DIMENSION!
Old 01-09-2015, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
It's a great idea, wet or dry and very good fun. You are quite right about not experimenting on the road, there is far too much stuff/people to hit

There's no need to be afraid of track days either, especially those run on airfields where there aren't any barriers. These guys run excellent days and have good instructors on hand: http://motorsport-events.com/

Here's a video taken on a day at Abingdon by PaulF from his car. I am in the black car - you can see how much room there is. It also shows the benefits of improving the driver/practise, Paul's car makes 5bhp more than mine.

Paul has also uploaded some videos of Car Limits days, so have a look through and you'll get a better idea of what's involved.

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siF8xf-MefU[/MEDIA]
Yeah I just feel I'd be getting more for my money if it was a wet day because I imagine pushing the car to the limit in the wet requires more skill practice than in the dry. I am getting a lot of stuff done to the car in the next month so it will probably be out of budget but I might be able to squeeze one in at the end of february, maybe they will let me have it so that if it's raining I go and if it isn't then I wait for the next session.

I like the look of the place in the video, certainly not much to hit apart from cones, you seem to brake before, during and after turn in quite a lot which I think would make the rear end go light. Would of been good to see how busy you were with the steering wheel in that video.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:38 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Barking before the turns is a good idea and trail-braking into corners is useful for getting the nose of the car into the corner better.
You brake hard in a straight line, and then as you apply more steering lock, you come off the brakes slowly, thus managing the weight transfer and keeping more weight over the front thus improving the turn in.

For novices, doing all your braking in a straight line is a good idea.

I am usually pretty smooth on the steering wheel.

This video shows hands and feet, though I've improved a bit since then, where I was tending to change down too early:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omfaPmxqNEc[/media]
Old 01-09-2015, 02:53 AM
jml

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by lower
Originally Posted by japcrap' timestamp='1420733863' post='23460855
[quote name='Ultra_Nexus' timestamp='1420733583' post='23460846']
I don't find the backend loose at all, but everyone has their preferences. Yes a Clio would be easier to save because you can pin the throttle without care.

On track from my experiences, S2000s are driven nowhere near as fast as the 182 brigade. The S2000 is the faster car.

On the road the car is about having fun and provoking the rear end to slide, hearing the VTEC note etc is part of that.
So even though the S2000 is the faster car, 182's are driven faster? I wonder why that is? Maybe it's because a 182 is a lot easier to drive faster, which in 80% of cases makes it a faster car? I mean if the S2000 is only really able to be driven on the limit by the most talented of drivers then it's only a faster car in the hands of the most talented drivers isn't it?

I find on the road when I drive it's about going as quick as you can without making the rear slide, I feel like if the rear goes when I'm cornering at 50-60mph it's going to be game over.
Sell it. Its clearly not the car for you.
[/quote]

I have to agree.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:59 AM

Barking before the turns is a good idea and trail-braking into corners is useful for getting the nose of the car into the corner better.
You brake hard in a straight line, and then as you apply more steering lock, you come off the brakes slowly, thus managing the weight transfer and keeping more weight over the front thus improving the turn in.

For novices, doing all your braking in a straight line is a good idea.

I am usually pretty smooth on the steering wheel.

This video shows hands and feet, though I've improved a bit since then, where I was tending to change down too early:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omfaPmxqNEc[/media]
OK so having watched the first 2 mins of that (can't watch more as I'm at work) I've concluded your car looks a lot more planted than mine! Also, I must learn to heel and toe. I find that when I do it as I go to flick my heel that I apply more pressure to the brake pedal causing the car to slow down more than necessary. Looks like a lot of fun going through eau rouge!
Old 01-09-2015, 03:23 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

2 minutes is enough for anyone, it's not that interesting!

In the 2012 videos, I don't include footcam but do include speed and rpm data, and I'm going a few seconds quicker, too.

Learning to H&T is a good idea, something I've done since getting the car. Best off getting the rhythm with the engine off at first, and then practice somewhere with not much traffic around.

Most of the "planted" aspect is down to the way the car is being driven, with weight transfers being managed nicely - something I had to learn to do.

A newer car like yours should be even more planted with it's bigger wheels and suspension changes.

It's also worth getting the geometry checked at somewhere like Wheels In Motion in Chesham. http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/
Old 01-09-2015, 03:26 AM

2 minutes is enough for anyone, it's not that interesting!

In the 2012 videos, I don't include footcam but do include speed and rpm data, and I'm going a few seconds quicker, too.

Learning to H&T is a good idea, something I've done since getting the car. Best off getting the rhythm with the engine off at first, and then practice somewhere with not much traffic around.

Most of the "planted" aspect is down to the way the car is being driven, with weight transfers being managed nicely - something I had to learn to do.

A newer car like yours should be even more planted with it's bigger wheels and suspension changes.

It's also worth getting the geometry checked at somewhere like Wheels In Motion in Chesham. http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/
Yeah I think it's something I'll get the hang of with more practice, I do enough miles to get some in! My car is at TGM on the 17th and that's the top of the work list. I'm praying that nothing is seized but there is no evidence of the geometry being done in the history which is a bit of a concern, then again i'm happy to dip in my pocket to get it sorted.

Quick Reply: Common "weak" VTEC causes