UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Common "weak" VTEC causes

Old 01-08-2015, 04:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by japcrap
Originally Posted by flybikeslee' timestamp='1420722865' post='23460590
I think it does, I just don't believe that the event that occurs on my car could be anything for people to get as excited about as they actually do which makes me think there is either something wrong with it or it's massively overrated.
it is over rated
Old 01-08-2015, 04:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey81
have you checked the accelerator cable is adjusted correctly, so you are actually using 'full' throttle

I had an MY04 previously and you could feel the acceleration change but it wasn't a kick like my EP3 does for example. I now have a 2008 S2000 and it feels pretty similar to the 2004 in the way that VTEC comes in
I will double check this, thanks for the suggestion. Funny you say about an EP3, there's one in my area that pulled up to the lights next to me the other night and on green we both accelerated up to the "speed limit". My nose was maybe half a car length in front but other than that it was a totally even match which surprised me, I thought EP3's had 40ish bhp less. We both pulled in to a petrol station shortly after and had a chat, he asked me what I was "running", my car is totally standard. His on the other hand had a very loud exhaust, when we slowed down to go in the petrol station it was making really deep loud bangs on downshifts so while I'm sure it wasn't standard I don't know if it had much more than an exhaust and some other bits.

That's what made me think something was wrong with my car that an EP3 with around 40bhp less (assuming that his mods only added noise rather than power) could keep up with it so easily. I know there is driver skill involved but in a straight line it's only really gear changes and I didn't mess any up.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:20 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Standard, there won't be a huge amount in it.
Up to 62 it's 6.0 secs vs 6.4 secs (official figures).
Assuming linear acceleration, the S2000 would only be 7m ahead, and in real life, the difference will be less than that.
Add in the vagaries of getting the cars off the line and results will vary.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:27 AM

gotta remember that VTEC aint no turbo! however there is a noticeable difference in pulling power and sound once in vtec. I have an 04 (standard until I put a K&N FIPK on a month ago)...maybe your expecting too much from all the interwebz hype IDK? once in vtec the car should feel like it pulling harder, mine does anyway!

Also like Ultra Nexus said, certain conditions make a difference and certain parameters must be met for vtec to engage...one of these being throttle position. im pretty sure anything less than 70% throttle and vtec wont engage, even if taken right up to redline. so from lets say 4k up to 9k steadily accelerating at 50-60% throttle will not engage vtec. (if im wrong someone correct me)....so make sure ya foots to the floor!
Old 01-08-2015, 06:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimmyb1978
And buying a later version will have a softer transition (from what I've read)
This as yours is a Moonrock car
Old 01-08-2015, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Assuming linear acceleration, the S2000 would only be 7m ahead, and in real life, the difference will be less than that.
Fair point, maybe I should have got a civic to annoy people like me in S2000's!
Old 01-08-2015, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by japcrap
Originally Posted by lovegroova' timestamp='1420726852' post='23460662
Even though the quoted difference is 40bhp, reality is that is more like 30 as EP3's get a bit more and S2000s have a bit less.

On top of that, being FWD means less power lost through tranmission/drivetrain and it is also 50kg lighter and has shorter gearing.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus
Originally Posted by japcrap' timestamp='1420729528' post='23460743
[quote name='lovegroova' timestamp='1420726852' post='23460662']
Even though the quoted difference is 40bhp, reality is that is more like 30 as EP3's get a bit more and S2000s have a bit less.

On top of that, being FWD means less power lost through tranmission/drivetrain and it is also 50kg lighter and has shorter gearing.
[/quote]

Wow, I assumed on the power figures alone that S2000's were far superior to EP3's. That's me told!
Old 01-08-2015, 06:59 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

These cars aren't really meant for traffic light races which, let's face, it are rather pathetic.

Lots of hot hatches have considerably more power nowadays

Learn to drive it around corners properly, that's where the fun and challenge really lies, and where the car excels.

As for EP3s, much of the difference in the 0-62 time is taken up by changing from 2nd to 3rd, which is not required in an S2000. I expect the 0-55 figures would show much less of a difference.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
These cars aren't really meant for traffic light races which, let's face, it are rather pathetic.

Lots of hot hatches have considerably more power nowadays

Learn to drive it around corners properly, that's where the fun and challenge really lies, and where the car excels.

As for EP3s, much of the difference in the 0-62 time is taken up by changing from 2nd to 3rd, which is not required in an S2000. I expect the 0-55 figures would show much less of a difference.
So in other words, they are pretty pants in a straight line and yet although the corners are where they excel, traditionally they have a loose back end and inspire nowhere near the same confidence nor can achieve the same cornering speed as a capable hot hatch for example a clio 182?

Quick Reply: Common "weak" VTEC causes