UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Common "weak" VTEC causes

Old 01-08-2015, 02:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dembo
VTEC moves the cams so that more aggressive valve timing is used. There's only two positions; it can't be weak. It's either working or it isn't.
Actually, it can be weak.

Whilst the cam profile is boolean, the ignition timing and fuelling isn't.

Winding back the ignition timing will cost you power and 'soften' the VTEC transition.

Throttle position, intake air temp, knock sensor all play on what the ECU will give you.

If you look at when Daytona dave did his oil comparison dyno runs, you'll see it happening.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:16 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by japcrap
Originally Posted by jimmyb1978' timestamp='1420709249' post='23460449
Low Oil level will stop in engaging

And buying a later version will have a softer transition (from what I've read)
Checked my oil last night, was at a good level and still very golden. I do have a later car I assume with it being an 05, is it possible to do some work to make it similar to that of an earlier one by changing the vtec solenoid to an earlier spec one perhaps?
I suspect the changeover is down to the ECU mapping. EDIT: As ultra implies in his post.

If you want a more aggressive changeover, you'd probably be best off buying an older car!

Next meet local to you will be the next Herts meet on 5th February. The last meet thread is here, but I suspect a new one for February will appear soon. https://www.s2ki.com/...y-4th-december/
Old 01-08-2015, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus
Originally Posted by Dembo' timestamp='1420714599' post='23460500
VTEC moves the cams so that more aggressive valve timing is used. There's only two positions; it can't be weak. It's either working or it isn't.

Winding back the ignition timing will cost you power and 'soften' the VTEC transition.

Throttle position, intake air temp, knock sensor all play on what the ECU will give you.

If you look at when Daytona dave did his oil comparison dyno runs, you'll see it happening.
OK I wasn't aware of that, if VTEC moves the cams could there be an issue with something (I expect the solenoid) that means they might move but not as much as they should and the ECU then compensates etc.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Originally Posted by japcrap' timestamp='1420712072' post='23460472
[quote name='jimmyb1978' timestamp='1420709249' post='23460449']
Low Oil level will stop in engaging

And buying a later version will have a softer transition (from what I've read)
Checked my oil last night, was at a good level and still very golden. I do have a later car I assume with it being an 05, is it possible to do some work to make it similar to that of an earlier one by changing the vtec solenoid to an earlier spec one perhaps?
I suspect the changeover is down to the ECU mapping. EDIT: As ultra implies in his post.

If you want a more aggressive changeover, you'd probably be best off buying an older car!

Next meet local to you will be the next Herts meet on 5th February. The last meet thread is here, but I suspect a new one for February will appear soon. https://www.s2ki.com/...y-4th-december/
[/quote]

I much prefer the looks of the newer car, I would of gone newer than 05 were it not for the extortionate RFL. I can live with it how it is I just want reassurance I guess that it is functioning as it should, if it does turn out to be functioning correctly I propose that the phrase "vtec yo!" should be rephrased to "vtec yo!...unless you have an 04 onwards".

I think I'm guaranteed disappointment because if is functioning correctly then I don't really see what the hype is about (albeit on 04 onwards cars) and if it isn't then I'll be dipping even further into my pocket.

Where will the meet be on the 5th?
Old 01-08-2015, 02:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus
Originally Posted by Dembo' timestamp='1420714599' post='23460500

You're talking about how the power changes as you enter VTEC, which is the mapping, not the VTEC mechanism. You can't have a weak VTEC any more than you can be a little bit pregnant.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:17 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

A bad map sensor will mean that you don't get the feeling of extra power when you're in the VTEC rev range.

When VTEC engages its not like a big kick in the back but there is a distinct change in engine note and the feeling that the engine is pulling substantially harder than it was before.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Dembo
Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus' timestamp='1420715647' post='23460514
[quote name='Dembo' timestamp='1420714599' post='23460500']

You're talking about how the power changes as you enter VTEC, which is the mapping, not the VTEC mechanism. You can't have a weak VTEC any more than you can be a little bit pregnant.
[/quote]
Like I said, the cam profile change is boolean, but what makes VTEC is the entire system and what people refer to as the VTEC kick is a combination of factors.

The OP describes his VTEC as soft so we can safely assume that the cam profile change has happened as the sound is a dead giveaway.

However, the extra acceleration isn't there which means that the ECU is making adjustments to either smooth out the map or prevent knock.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 01-08-2015, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by flybikeslee
I think it does, I just don't believe that the event that occurs on my car could be anything for people to get as excited about as they actually do which makes me think there is either something wrong with it or it's massively overrated.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:27 AM

have you checked the accelerator cable is adjusted correctly, so you are actually using 'full' throttle

I had an MY04 previously and you could feel the acceleration change but it wasn't a kick like my EP3 does for example. I now have a 2008 S2000 and it feels pretty similar to the 2004 in the way that VTEC comes in

Quick Reply: Common "weak" VTEC causes