UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

coming back to the fold..

Old 10-03-2008, 01:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coming back to the fold..

Guys,

Currently in the process of trying to sell my car and thinking of going back to an S2000. Sold my last one this time 2 years ago for a number of reasons which were right at the time, but the drop in prices and a desire to go back to rwd is tempting.

My last s2k was an early model, on a 2000 plate, so was as raw as they get! It did have an aftermarket exhaust fitted (a custom one) which, while sounding nice at full chat, did get rather tiresome and boomy on the motorway.

I have never driven another s2k other than my own, so would be interested to know whether having a standard exhaust makes any difference in this department? Im used to a bit of road noise, but it was the drone that annoyed the most for me (saying that, my current car is an ST running racing cats and miltek exhaust and that certainly isnt quiet!). Is there any benefit to be had in going for a hardtop in this regard?

im also not sure about the changes that occurred, and when- am i right in saying that post 2001 cars had the glass screen and traction control?? VED is obviously the biggest pain for the newer cars, but if the changes are worth the extra over the earlier cars, then id rather go for that (lets face it, over 12 months, if you cant afford the extra
Old 10-03-2008, 03:26 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Hi Matt.

Traction control on 06 onwards, maybe 07.

02 onwards had glass screen.

Standard exhaust is very quiet - but weighs about as much as me!

Insurance - difficult to say as all companies are different depending on your personal circumstances.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:38 AM

TCS was that late?! really! not that its a problem as i had no "moments" (ok, ok, maybe a couple!) with the early model.

i may go and see for myself about the standard exhaust via a test drive. I could always go for a mugen or toda should i feel the need

started to make some enquiries into insurance but as i wil be 3 years older than when i last got insurance (almost 27 now..sob sob!) it should be a lot less.

thanks for the help
Old 10-03-2008, 04:57 AM

Standard zorst is VERY quiet and, IMO, the biggest let down of the S2000.

Give a call to A-Plan in Basingstoke for insurance, they were superd for me (branch manager runs an S as a daily).
Old 10-04-2008, 03:37 AM

Perhaps I'm in the minority but I'm personally a fan of the aural characteristics of the OEM exhaust; I like the fact that it's quiet and relatively discreet below 6k but gently burbles just enough to hear at low speed; however I hate the fact that it's apparently extremely heavy as I'd like the car to be as light as possible for obvious reasons.

I'm very dubious about Titanium as a material for everyday use roadcar exhausts purely from all of the stories I've read on these forums about them failing (well at least the Amuse one). Am I correct in saying that this is due to the fact that the Amuse is full length Ti whereas the Mugen etc are only the rear section?

I'm personally wanting at some future point to change the exhaust system purely as a weight saving exercise and so have the single exit Spoon N1 in mind; unless of course some of the good people on here tell me this is not a good idea for certain reasons.
Old 10-04-2008, 04:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldDogmeat,Oct 4 2008, 12:37 PM
Perhaps I'm in the minority but I'm personally a fan of the aural characteristics of the OEM exhaust; I like the fact that it's quiet and relatively discreet below 6k but gently burbles just enough to hear at low speed;

I like the standard sound. Plus I know that an S will never sound good, at least not compared to the FTO I used to have.

however I hate the fact that it's apparently extremely heavy as I'd like the car to be as light as possible for obvious reasons.
What obvious reasons?

Who really cares about weight? The car weighs what it weighs. A lighter exhaust isn't going to suddenly take a second off your 0-60 times or anything. The effect is going to be tiny to negligible.

However, by lightening the rear you're messing up that perfect 50-50 weight distribution Honda strived so hard to acheive, making the car more understeery. And by losing weight low down, you're raising the centre of gravity and increasing the roll.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:45 PM

Fair point Dembo; Its just that I know that that excess weight is there I suppose.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dembo,Oct 4 2008, 04:13 AM
Who really cares about weight? The car weighs what it weighs. A lighter exhaust isn't going to suddenly take a second off your 0-60 times or anything. The effect is going to be tiny to negligible.

However, by lightening the rear you're messing up that perfect 50-50 weight distribution Honda strived so hard to acheive, making the car more understeery. And by losing weight low down, you're raising the centre of gravity and increasing the roll.
That, is a VERY good point, i'd never even considered it.

However, if i lose the OEM exhaust and swap it for titanium, then put a sub in the recess in the boot, i'll get the best of both worlds