UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Coloured Brake Calipers

Old 07-04-2002, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone painted their brake calipers ?

Red ones on Porsches and Ferraris look great IMO, but black may look ok also on a silverstone S2K.

Anyone got any ideas what sort of paint would suit ?
Old 07-04-2002, 01:24 PM

Shipley - I'm no expert but have heard Hammerite recommended. Aparently its quite easy. The U.S. forums have had several pictures of painted calipers - will try to find you a link.
Old 07-04-2002, 01:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did mine with Hammerite' Halfords have a range of colours.

The best time to do this job is when you get home from picking up the car. Failing that thoroughly degrease the areas to be painted. Apply with one of those small artists type brushes and clean the brush frequently, as this stuff dries so quickly you'll soon be painting with a stick!

I just removed the wheels and painted what I could see. It's a tedious job but a cheap very effective mod IMHO. A word of warning 'Hammerite' will be fine for normal road use but not if you're going to track the car. The heat generated in heavy track braking has scorched even proprietory paints designed for the job, 'Foliatec' etc. Powder coating is the answer if you want to track the car.
Old 07-04-2002, 10:55 PM

Ive also painted mine red, however I was playing golf at the weekend and one of my playing partners said 'Why did they ruin a gorgeous car by giving it red calipers', he didnt know that I had done it.

I keep looking at them and Im coming round to the idea that they may look better in black, the Porsche and Brembos look great in red but they have a smooth finish with the company logo on them and look very professional, our brake calipers are pretty crudely molded with lots of rough angles and edges, I beginiing to think that the red draws too much attention to them, whereas black would blend better.
Old 07-05-2002, 12:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by UKjasonm

our brake calipers are pretty crudely molded with lots of rough angles and edges, I beginiing to think that the red draws too much attention to them, whereas black would blend better.
I have had this conversation with a number of owners, and I agree 100% with your statement above Jason - the calipers are not the nices feature of the car, best not draw attention too them IMHO.
Old 07-05-2002, 01:45 AM

I have had this conversation with a number of owners, and I agree 100% with your statement above Jason - the calipers are not the nices feature of the car, best not draw attention too them IMHO.
Yes. Im becoming less keen on red but now, Ive just decided, going to paint them black.

Does anyone know how I could make all my windows, wheels, and brake discs black?
Old 07-05-2002, 01:57 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tyringe
[B]
Old 07-05-2002, 02:02 AM

If you are serious about the windows, we got our people wagon blacked out for
Old 07-05-2002, 02:06 AM

Originally posted by Shipley

Keeps out the heat, adds privacy and security and looks cool !
So does Hammerite (only
Old 07-05-2002, 02:10 AM

I painted my calipers blue. It was one of the first things i did as i hated the sh!tty finish from stock. The blue that i have now is a pretty good match for MCB. In fact it looks like it "should" be there!

Keith, I know a company in dartford who tinted one of my previous cars for

Quick Reply: Coloured Brake Calipers