UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Coincidence or what?

Old 12-01-2011, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coincidence or what?

The malfunction lamp has come on during the second trip after having the 81K service done (even though the car has only done 54K). Before I take it back to the dealer, are there any tips/clues that any conspiracy theorists would like to share as to what it could be given the circumstances?

Thanks,
Trev
Old 12-01-2011, 11:37 AM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a code reader and post the codes up.

Once you have that it'll be easier for people to help you.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

probably no coincidence more likely a direct result.

What did they define as an 81K service? so what have they touched. just an oil and filter change or have they also done plugs and valve clearances?

If you're going to investigate this yourself then the first thing to find is the error code, that will point you in the right general direction. CEL lights can be tripped by all manner of things some very minor others not. The most serious problems are identified by a flashing CEL rather than a steady CEL.

if you don't have access to a code reader then you're just guessing which will probably mean a trip back to the garage.

Before you drive it too much more it's worth checking some basics like wiring that could of been left disconnected or become dislodged by some clumsy buffoon not paying enough attention to your engine bay. Depending on what was done and how handy you are you might also want to check that the spark plugs have been tightened up properly, badly fitted plugs or poor contact could be one of many things that can throw a CEL but a loose plug can be an engine killer.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:41 PM

The service included valve clearances, but not plugs. The temperature gauge is reading one bar even when the engine is cold. Sadly I do not have the resources or time to investigate myself as I am off on business trips Saturday, so I will have to leave it with them.

Thanks anyway.

Trev
Old 12-01-2011, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Trevi
The service included valve clearances, but not plugs. The temperature gauge is reading one bar even when the engine is cold. Sadly I do not have the resources or time to investigate myself as I am off on business trips Saturday, so I will have to leave it with them.

Thanks anyway.

Trev
it will take 2mins to lift your hood and have a quick butchers, to do the tappets they will have removed the rocker cover and along with it a few connectors, as ninebolts say's they may have left one of or not pushed it home true so give them all a try then reset your ecu as per other thread's on here or erase with a code reader.