UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Coilovers

Old 04-27-2012, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Originally Posted by s2konroids' timestamp='1335443034' post='21644684

Thanks.

I could some it up by meaning 'stability' and 'handling', for example on a bumpy B road you can have an unsettled ride that is fidgety and tends to bounce and be unresponsive and also has a vacant feel thus typically doesn't corner/handle well.

I believed that in some instances, some coilovers could exacerbate the above which for me is undesirable but i guess its the geo as much as the coil-overs, not that clued on suspension that much TBH.
One of the jobs of the suspension is to keep the wheels in contact with the road surface. If the springing and damping is unable to do this on a bumpy road (certainly the case with my Gaz setup, and also on the TEIN setup I mentioned above) then you're unable to steer or put the power down properly and things get scary quickly. In addition, things tend to be uncomfortable on "average" roads too.

On a smooth track, this isn't so much of a problem, so you can have stiff springs and little damping for reduced roll.

Geo will improve whatever you have, but it can't make up for an overly stiff setup, which I think many of the aftermarket coilovers do have.

If you can, I'd suggest having some passenger rides/drives of various cars equipped with different coilovers and see what you think.

Coilovers won't in general make your significantly faster than one with an OEM setup - that much is obvious from the Car Limits days where the fastest cars are often those with the fewest modifications (bar those with huge power). i.e. the driver is by far the largest factor in the equation.
At last someone who talks sense.

Coilovers for the track please
Old 04-27-2012, 01:30 AM

The S2k has coilovers as std, if the op wants to fit upgraded coilovers then I fail to see an issue.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:06 AM

I have no issues with the handling or ability of the oem setup, it's just simply a matter of minimising that arch gap.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by KFC
Originally Posted by PedroHicken' timestamp='1335246780' post='21637307
[quote name='tailhappy' timestamp='1335213353' post='21635611']
[quote name='loftust' timestamp='1334954185' post='21628109']
[quote name='tailhappy' timestamp='1334953215' post='21628057']
[quote name='PedroHicken' timestamp='1334950518' post='21627922']
but then im never going to take my car on track either...
Bizarre That answers it for me. Coilovers are for track use only. The stock suspension is fine for the road. Never understand why people fit coilovers for the road. Utterly pointless.

Choosing a sensible set of aftermarket coilovers, and tailoring them with a good geo setup will improve the handling of the car...even on public roads.

A fellow member used to comment on my KWV3 setup saying "My S would just understeer and not make it round that bend at such speed". This was at legal speeds and is just one example of how decent coilovers will benefit the car, and the driving experience. His S had polybushes, and a popular 'fast road' setup too.

The ride comfort need not be sacrificed either.

OP - If you can afford ~ £700, get the Meister Rs, or a set of second hand Bilstein PSS9s or KWV3s...you won't be disappointed.
[/quote]

Any person fitting coilovers to an S2K purely for road driving is such a ponce. The stock suspension set up correctly is a dream for the road. But hey its your money. You guys obviously know more than Honda and the Gan San as you are far better drivers

Its like the oil filter stopper device. Utter nonsense
[/quote]

Blimey, you are quite an angry person, arnt you?

Thankyou for the heads up guys, I will look into these coilovers and see what they are like.

Actually, does anyone have them by say...the junction 10 m6 area?

Thanks.
[/quote]

Didn't know gixer bought an s 2000 .....

Pedro meister is a trader on nutz, discount ?
[/quote]
Seriously? I was under the impression that Gix disliked the s2000's. Thanks for the Nutz heads up!
Old 04-27-2012, 02:47 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by tailhappy
At last someone who talks sense.

Coilovers for the track please
RTFT, I've been talking sense for some time now...
Old 04-27-2012, 03:12 AM
UK Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

On a smooth track, this isn't so much of a problem, so you can have stiff springs and more damping for reduced roll.
EFA

Chris.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroHicken
I have no issues with the handling or ability of the oem setup, it's just simply a matter of minimising that arch gap.

Perhaps just get some eibach springs then and anti bump steer kits and the Geo redone then? Mine on the road were good but I wanted less roll on track.

The eibachs give you perfect height in my view, I can just get over all speed bumps and the arch gap is greatly reduced. I got my coilovers set to the same height when switching.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-27-2012, 04:15 AM

Received 134 Likes on 115 Posts

I'll bet none of those "upgraders" would ever admit wasting £800 on a "better" coilover kit. Skittery ride and firming up IMO ruins the car's characteristics. Indeed, the owner may opt for a more harsh ride, enjoying the bumpy B roads just to get more grip (but I would say far less "feel").
Its the "feel" that can save your butt, time after time you hear about "another" crash... I wonder if there's any connection with losing touch with the car's balance, losing that added OEM feel.
Its a very interesting subject in all honesty, and its simple physics / geometry. Tyres being also the critical focus. I had no idea that £2k was for OEM coil's, that's bizarrely overpriced!
Old 04-27-2012, 04:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the jobs of the suspension is to keep the wheels in contact with the road surface.
What are the other jobs?
Old 04-27-2012, 04:59 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Dembo
Originally Posted by lovegroova' timestamp='1335517627' post='21648087
One of the jobs of the suspension is to keep the wheels in contact with the road surface.
What are the other jobs?
Keep fillings in teeth.

Quick Reply: Coilovers