UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Coilovers

Old 04-26-2012, 11:40 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by s2konroids
Originally Posted by lovegroova' timestamp='1335263441' post='21637632
[quote name='s2konroids' timestamp='1335261824' post='21637582']
Are coilovers really better on say a B road etc? possibly stiffer so worse?

I just went with lowering springs that were closest matched for the stock coilovers and it lowered the car just over 20mm. I'd love to try out coilovers on these roads and see if they are any better.
"Better" is very subjective. For some, better on a bumpy B-road may simply mean "more comfortable", others will define "better" as "sharper, more nimble, or faster".

Then there's the question of "which coilovers" - the 3 different kinds I've had have all been very different - those that were best on track were the worst on the road.

I suspect there's a big difference between budget stuff like the Meister-Rs and some of the more expensive stuff like Ohlins/Nitrons/Bilsteins/KWs.

I've been in a car equipped with some TEIN Monoflex and it was most uncomfortable and the owner tells me it really struggles on the bumpy stuff.
Thanks.

I could some it up by meaning 'stability' and 'handling', for example on a bumpy B road you can have an unsettled ride that is fidgety and tends to bounce and be unresponsive and also has a vacant feel thus typically doesn't corner/handle well.

I believed that in some instances, some coilovers could exacerbate the above which for me is undesirable but i guess its the geo as much as the coil-overs, not that clued on suspension that much TBH.
[/quote]

Anyone?
Old 04-26-2012, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisr111
your response to my questions indicates that you almost certainly haven't, since OEM S02s went out of production a long time before you got your car.
Not shedding tears over not experiencing those SO2s. Heard a few horror stories about those. Not good in the wet/damp conditions.
I find the toyos are predictable on the limit (wet/dry) so happy with that. I don't drive like its a "qualifying lap on the road". If you are needing coilovers on the road you are driving too fast
Old 04-26-2012, 12:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by loftust
Are we allowed to call people tw@ts on here?
According to the rules we aren't allowed to call people twats however there is nothing in the rules about us being able to "think" someone is a twat.

Therefore; "You're a twat!" would be against the rules.

But; "I think you're a twat" must be ok.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by GaryB
Originally Posted by loftust' timestamp='1335458465' post='21645571
Are we allowed to call people tw@ts on here?
According to the rules we aren't allowed to call people twats however there is nothing in the rules about us being able to "think" someone is a twat.

Therefore; "You're a twat!" would be against the rules.

But; "I think you're a twat" must be ok.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, so if I say I think tailhappy is a twat, that's ok?

In fact I think everybody forcing their opinion onto other people as being facts are twats.

You still don't get it, ride quality on coilovers is no different than standard ones when set soft enough, so how come I can only benefit from them if I'm going too fast?
Old 04-26-2012, 12:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha, I can't be live this thread is still going!

I have them on mine, why because I like how they improve the handling on road and track. I have had fitted them on two cars previous for the same reason. They make a positive change if you like a firmer ride, more response plus flexibility to adjust.

If you are after the above, get a set and you won't be disappointed. If not stick with stock

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-26-2012, 12:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tailhappy
If you are needing coilovers on the road you are driving too fast
Cods-wallop...

One of my initial posts proved that to be incorrect. When my friend witnessed my S performing significantly better than his round a corner, it was done at legal speeds, and certainly not driving like an arse either...I'm quite conservative when compared to some on here/on the roads.

Stock is good, especially the MY02-03 IMO, and the best compromise between ride and handling. For a very small sacrifice in ride comfort, great gains can be had in handling. Saying that, I found AE's Bilsteins to be better than OEM coilovers where comfort was concerned.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why are you all feeding the troll? It's wrecked this thread.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Tim S
Why are you all feeding the troll? It's wrecked this thread.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:07 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by s2konroids
Thanks.

I could some it up by meaning 'stability' and 'handling', for example on a bumpy B road you can have an unsettled ride that is fidgety and tends to bounce and be unresponsive and also has a vacant feel thus typically doesn't corner/handle well.

I believed that in some instances, some coilovers could exacerbate the above which for me is undesirable but i guess its the geo as much as the coil-overs, not that clued on suspension that much TBH.
One of the jobs of the suspension is to keep the wheels in contact with the road surface. If the springing and damping is unable to do this on a bumpy road (certainly the case with my Gaz setup, and also on the TEIN setup I mentioned above) then you're unable to steer or put the power down properly and things get scary quickly. In addition, things tend to be uncomfortable on "average" roads too.

On a smooth track, this isn't so much of a problem, so you can have stiff springs and little damping for reduced roll.

Geo will improve whatever you have, but it can't make up for an overly stiff setup, which I think many of the aftermarket coilovers do have.

If you can, I'd suggest having some passenger rides/drives of various cars equipped with different coilovers and see what you think.

Coilovers won't in general make your significantly faster than one with an OEM setup - that much is obvious from the Car Limits days where the fastest cars are often those with the fewest modifications (bar those with huge power). i.e. the driver is by far the largest factor in the equation.

Quick Reply: Coilovers