UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Coilovers

Old 04-26-2012, 05:18 AM

Received 134 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by tailhappy
Originally Posted by WinFreak' timestamp='1335425122' post='21644451
And then there's the fact it's been designed for the mass market, to try and please everybody, everywhere.
No thats why they did all the later revisions like the Mk2 MR2 to tame the handling to make it idiot proof. The original setup is fine if you can drive.

The Gan San put it round the ring in a low 8 minute which is plenty quick enough for me. The car feels spot on for the road (wet or dry). Fitting coilovers for the road is complete nonsense.
What if I wanna show the neon/Clio crowd down at Maccie D's my lower ride, and donut abilities

I'd be going with GEO too Baz. I'd bet that some owners that bought new expensive coilovers, realizing their old stock springs are knackered could have just bought new OEM ones and still been rewarded with the original decent handling. I agree it's money wasted unless its utilised on track.
Inappropriate to say if people can "drive" or not... as I commented earlier, you can miss out on the cars "feel"
Old 04-26-2012, 05:24 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by s2k4tony
What if I wanna show the neon/Clio crowd down at Maccie D's my lower ride, and donut abilities

I'd be going with GEO too Baz. I'd bet that some owners that bought new expensive coilovers, realizing their old stock springs are knackered could have just bought new OEM ones and still been rewarded with the original decent handling.
New OEM ones are about £2k, which is why aftermarket ones make more sense for high mileage cars.

A set of non-adjustable Bilsteins is half the cost of OEM bits

Interestingly, the US prices for OEM work out at about £800 for all 4.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by loftust
Well done...you've just managed to ostracise yourself from 90% of the owners on here.
LOL I know. The S2k forum is a "gentlemans" club after all

I just can't help the way I love the standard cars handling and setup on the road

So buy your coilovers everyone. Roll up Roll up cheap coilovers at VTEC direct You'll be at least 10 seconds quicker to your local Spa shop and the ride will be transformed
Old 04-26-2012, 05:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe it's you that just uses the car for going to the local shops and therefore doesn't need it to handle nicer?

Why can't you just give into the fact that some people don't like the standard suspension while you do? Wouldn't be that hard would it?

I did like the way my standard suspension handled but it just looked too high up and seeing as I want it to look nice as well changing it was the only option. I was hoping for it to handle the same as it did before and just sit lower, boy did I get pleasantly surprised when I found out it handles even better than before.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
[

New OEM ones are about £2k
Simon... you are loaded
Old 04-26-2012, 05:56 AM

If you want something that handles better, goes better, pretty much everything's better.... Boxster S for the win..

http://www.firstclassmotors.co.uk/detail.php?vid=6754

sat in that last week. I had immediate wood and couldn't get out of the car for the trouser pyramid (but they have a £90k 911 for sale also that was next to the car in the showroom that was giving the longer erection)
http://www.firstclassmotors.co.uk/detail.php?vid=20151
Old 04-26-2012, 06:08 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

If you want something that handles better, goes better, pretty much everything's better.... Boxster S for the win..
Old 04-26-2012, 06:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tailhappy' timestamp='1335445757' post='21644774
[quote name='WinFreak' timestamp='1335425122' post='21644451']
And then there's the fact it's been designed for the mass market, to try and please everybody, everywhere.
No thats why they did all the later revisions like the Mk2 MR2 to tame the handling to make it idiot proof. The original setup is fine if you can drive.

The Gan San put it round the ring in a low 8 minute which is plenty quick enough for me. The car feels spot on for the road (wet or dry). Fitting coilovers for the road is complete nonsense.
[/quote]

GanSan personally told me coilovers ROCK, and that if he had an S2000 instead of his NSX-R, he would definitely have coilovers on it, probably Ebay Racelands or D2 Racing as they are the best makes*.

(I'm the ugly one stood to his left). The guy is an absolute legend!

On a serious note:

I have Meister S on my MX5 and I am pretty happy with them. I still haven't read a bad review on the Meisters for the S2000 either. I think I am going to look for some Buddyclub N+ when I upgrade my suspension in a month or too. I had Buddyclub RS on my last S2000 and cannot rate them well enough. I loved them, I just cannot afford them now! My first S2000 had PSS9 and although I liked them, the ride didnt seem as controlled as the Buddyclub. I guess lots of it is personal preference.

Coilovers serve a purpose, to offer adjustable dampening and height. Those saying they are overkill on a road car obviously have never had coilovers. They take away the horrible arch gap, which looks better and many of them nowadays still offer OEM or better ride quality. Then if you do a track day or two, or have a B road blast, you can adjust the dampening to stiffen up the ride in a matter of minutes.
Why is anything wrong with that and how is it not an improvement on 10 year old OEM suspension? How is that making the car 'too hardcore' for road? It just gives you options.

*The Japanese to English translation could have been wrong....
Old 04-26-2012, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Originally Posted by s2k4tony' timestamp='1335448571' post='21644915
You know you want one Si.... one day
Old 04-26-2012, 06:46 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by lovegroova' timestamp='1335449307' post='21644943
[quote name='s2k4tony' timestamp='1335448571' post='21644915']
You know you want one Si.... one day
[/quote]

Nah, they are just too capable/dull for road fun.

Quick Reply: Coilovers