UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Coilovers

Old 04-24-2012, 02:03 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Are coilovers really better on say a B road etc? possibly stiffer so worse?

I just went with lowering springs (on my new shocks that had covered 2k at the time), that were closest matched for the stock coilovers and it lowered the car just over 20mm. I'd love to try out coilovers on these roads and see if they are any better.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WinFreak
If it's fine that doesn't mean there's no room for improvement especially on your MY00, I can imagine them not working as they did 14yrs ago.
14 years? Have I missed 2 years?

And you are assuming my springs, dampers and top mounts haven't been changed in the lifetime of the car, when in fact they were done 5 years and 40k ago. Thanks Mr Honda.

I have had plenty of decent handling cars to compare it to, having run an ATR and a DC2 ITR at the same time. We still have the ATR

Get a decent geo and there really is no point in swapping the stock dampers (IMO) unless they are getting tired - and that would be my advice to the OP. Geo first, see how you get on, then change if they are still not performing how you would like.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tailhappy
Any person fitting coilovers to an S2K purely for road driving is such a ponce. The stock suspension set up correctly is a dream for the road. But hey its your money. You guys obviously know more than Honda and the Gan San as you are far better drivers

Its like the oil filter stopper device. Utter nonsense
What qualifies you to make those sweeping statements
Old 04-24-2012, 02:30 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by s2konroids

I just went with lowering springs that were closest matched for the stock coilovers and it lowered the car just over 20mm. I'd love to try out coilovers on these roads and see if they are any better.
"Better" is very subjective. For some, better on a bumpy B-road may simply mean "more comfortable", others will define "better" as "sharper, more nimble, or faster".

Then there's the question of "which coilovers" - the 3 different kinds I've had have all been very different - those that were best on track were the worst on the road.

I suspect there's a big difference between budget stuff like the Meister-Rs and some of the more expensive stuff like Ohlins/Nitrons/Bilsteins/KWs.

I've been in a car equipped with some TEIN Monoflex and it was most uncomfortable and the owner tells me it really struggles on the bumpy stuff.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
If I were going for replacement coilovers, I'd seriously consider the non-adjustable Bilstein PSS as a replacement. They are one of very few to have external reservoirs on the rears (just like OEM). They cost around £900.

However, the OEM setup is very, very good for road use, so unless your car has a lot of miles on, then I'd recommend sticking with it.
+1 the rears are so short (especially when lowered) they need the reservoir, that is the reason I went from Nitron Sports to Tracks
Old 04-24-2012, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Originally Posted by s2konroids' timestamp='1335261824' post='21637582

I just went with lowering springs that were closest matched for the stock coilovers and it lowered the car just over 20mm. I'd love to try out coilovers on these roads and see if they are any better.
"Better" is very subjective. For some, better on a bumpy B-road may simply mean "more comfortable", others will define "better" as "sharper, more nimble, or faster".

Then there's the question of "which coilovers" - the 3 different kinds I've had have all been very different - those that were best on track were the worst on the road.

I suspect there's a big difference between budget stuff like the Meister-Rs and some of the more expensive stuff like Ohlins/Nitrons/Bilsteins/KWs.

I've been in a car equipped with some TEIN Monoflex and it was most uncomfortable and the owner tells me it really struggles on the bumpy stuff.
There are 3 issues with the S and coilovers;
1) lack of rear travel especially when lowered - which is why OEM, Bilstien and Nitron (to name a few) all have reservoirs on the rear
2) spring AND valve rates need to be matched and selected to suit the purpose. JDM & cheaper stuff tends to be designed around very stiff set ups
3) you need to take time to let it settle and mess with the setting and geo to find the "sweet spot"

I loved my Nitrons but once I found the sweet spot rarely messed with them. I did 20k miles on them around Europes B roads with a fussy LSB most the time.
If you are going to do it - do it properly!
Old 04-24-2012, 02:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bassoctopus
Originally Posted by WinFreak' timestamp='1335256768' post='21637522
If it's fine that doesn't mean there's no room for improvement especially on your MY00, I can imagine them not working as they did 14yrs ago.
14 years? Have I missed 2 years?

And you are assuming my springs, dampers and top mounts haven't been changed in the lifetime of the car, when in fact they were done 5 years and 40k ago. Thanks Mr Honda.

I have had plenty of decent handling cars to compare it to, having run an ATR and a DC2 ITR at the same time. We still have the ATR

Get a decent geo and there really is no point in swapping the stock dampers (IMO) unless they are getting tired - and that would be my advice to the OP. Geo first, see how you get on, then change if they are still not performing how you would like.

Hmmz yes don't know where I got 14 from!

So if you replaced the standard coilovers for some new standard ones you must've paid the shocking price that come with them?
Old 04-24-2012, 02:46 AM

Arch gap is the worst thing about OEM suspension... if it wasn't for that I'd be pretty happy with the ride, although I think the damping quality can be improved on, coupled with a lower COG and rear control arms (plus geo) the overall effect should be pretty good. I will probably be getting some Meister Rs in a couple of months.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by WinFreak
So if you replaced the standard coilovers for some new standard ones you must've paid the shocking price that come with them?
Nope. Replaced FOC by Honda
Old 04-25-2012, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by mikey k
Originally Posted by tailhappy' timestamp='1335213353' post='21635611
Any person fitting coilovers to an S2K purely for road driving is such a ponce. The stock suspension set up correctly is a dream for the road. But hey its your money. You guys obviously know more than Honda and the Gan San as you are far better drivers

Its like the oil filter stopper device. Utter nonsense
What qualifies you to make those sweeping statements
I have an MY00 (the so called widow maker) thats on OEM suspension. Its been geo'd and drives like a dream on the road. It is plenty capable for fast road driving (had spirited drives on average T1-Rs down wet muddy country roads without any drama whatsoever). Superior handling would only be required on a race track. Coilovers are simply overkill for pure road use. I'll bet pound to a piece of shiz the OP has sized bushes and the GEO is miles out and he's finding the handling of the car "challenging".

Just usual forum BS "you need this, yeah you need that"

Quick Reply: Coilovers